Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.castanet.net/ This is hapenning in a dog park near us. This poor Golden...

West Kelowna News

Conner. (Photo: Contributed)
Possible dog poisoning at park

by Rachael Kimola - Story: 47779
Jun 24, 2009 / 3:00 pm

A Kelowna couple thinks dogs may be being poisoned at Gellatly Bay Park.

Gord Smith and Beverly Mounsey, residents of Rutland, took their Golden retriever, Conner, to the park last weekend for a day of fun.

The family outing turned tragic when Conner became sick. The couple rushed their beloved pet to a vet, who diagnosed him with organophosphorus poisoning. Conner died the next morning.

Mounsey says while they were at the vet's office, the receptionist told them another dog had come in the day before suffering the same fate.

“She said the dog had also been at the park. Since then, we have also heard rumours of two other dogs being poisoned in recent weeks at the same place. But at this point we don't know anything for sure,” says Mounsey.

She says they have set up a Facebook page in memory and Conner and anyone who thinks their dog may have suffered the same fate is encouraged to contact them.

Smith says they were unable to afford an autopsy to find out for certain what killed their dog.

“An autopsy costs $500 and we just don't have that kind of money. We don't know if it's something being left out by someone or what the case may be. Every day I'm hearing about more dogs that may have been poisoned,” says Smith.

He says he just wants people to be aware of what happened to Conner and to keep an eye on their own dogs when out in parks.

“It's just such a loss, he was a member of a family and a beloved friend. We will miss him.”

Jim Inglis, branch manager at the Kelowna SPCA, says they are unaware of any confirmed recent incidents of dogs being poisoned at Gellatly Bay.

“We did receive a call from someone saying a dog was poisoned at that park a couple of weeks ago, however, the person didn't leave us their name or contact information, so we can't verify the incident. We have also not heard from any local vets regarding poisonings,” says Inglis.

He says in order for the SPCA to launch any sort of investigation, they need solid information, such as the results of an autopsy which confirms poisoning as a cause of death.

“Unfortunately, we are caught in the middle of a situation like this. We can't file a report without some proof and we don't have the resources to investigate based on one alleged case of poisoning.”
Link: Gellatly Bay Dog Park Warning website

top of page

_

June 21, 2009RHEKelowna Falcons2124Wenatchee Applesox390NEXT HOME GAME: Tuesday July 7

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh my goodness - that's horrible!!! I hope they are able to track down the culprit. I hope some good will come out of this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How sad for Conner and his family. I remember something similar happening around the Toronto area a while back. It's so disturbing to think someone would target our sweet dogs.

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Poor Conner, and how sad for the family. There are some seriously sick and sadistic people in this world. It angers me so much to hear these kind of stories of innocent dogs dying because of some sickos actions.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope that no more dogs or possibly children get poisoned from this sicko. Run Free Sweet Conner.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
that's so sad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts