Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this hack online, tried it, and it's pure genius so I thought I'd share it.
Pawz boots for dogs are thin rubber boots. The problem most people have with them is that they are very, very hard to put on the dogs. I had to buy them for Tito because he has 2 infected nailbeds on different feet, and we often walk through mucky, muddy fields. Seems like a good way to protect his feet.
So here's how to put them on.
I bought camo colored Pawz for Tito, because he's a he man. Can't wear purple boots, lol. Two different sizes, because his front feet are significantly larger than his back feet.
Get a cheap PVC coupling from the hardware store. This is a 2", and fits over his front feet even though they are quite large.
Stretch the boot over the coupling like a balloon.
Insert the foot through the coupling into the boot.
Roll the boot off the coupling onto his leg.
Slip the coupling down off his leg.
Voila, ready to hit the muck!
Sweet Girl, I thought of you!
Just a note on the Pawz boots, they're flimsy and tear easily. But they are useful for some things, I know some people use them to protect the dog's feet from salt in the winter time.
He's not real thrilled about the boots, but as soon as we get outside he forgets all about them.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
That's awesome! I have been so lucky with Shala - she is really good about having them put on, and I think it must be a little easier with daintier little female feet. And Shala does wear purple boots - they look very pretty with her pink leash! :p
Mind you, now that I know they come in camo... I might need to give those a try!

PS Hope Tito's nails are better.They do work great for keeping infected or broken nails and raw paw pads clean!

·
Registered
371 Posts
They actually sell a special device to help get these types of booties on, but it's like $12-$13 and looks a lot more cumbersome than your solution. Thanks for sharing!

For those who use these booties regularly... any problem with them cutting off the dog's circulation? I work in a dog-friendly office on a "trade port" where there are lots of places I can safely walk my dog... but the salt in the winter is AWFUL. I use these booties to get him in and out of the building, but I'd love to take him for real walks... I've just been nervous about how tight they are around his ankles... (and yes, I know they'd probably only last a few walks per pair if I'm walking him on asphalt, but they're cheap compared to the other options I have - which always seem to fall off).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts