Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday was the one year anniversary of Copper having his spleen and a stomach tumor removed. What a scary time for me.

His massages and supplements have made such a difference in his mobility in the last month that we celebrated with a hike up the hill (we call it a mountain) behind our house. We had a great time.

One of the cats (Biscuit) even decided to come with us. I had to make certain he came down off the mountain before he became coyote bait!

sorry for the butt shots, but that is the view I most often have. Wait guys......you're leaving me.....

Attachments

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Great to hear he is doing well...

I must admit when i read the butt warning i was think human.. not dog...:doh:

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
What a way to celebrate, a nice walk, with-out snow and you even have SUN!
Just beautiful pictures of your dogs and Biscuit.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I have a friend along, I can probably supply some of those as well.:doh:

It seems like all I see are butts during my hikes and trail rides.:uhoh: I've got to learn to be the leader at least some times.

Hmmm, then I am the one in the picture. I think I'll remain in the back.;)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sure was happy to have such nice weather last Wednesday. It was 50+ and sunny. Quite nice!

I will be up there tomorrow with the chain saw to cut some deadfall off the trail so that if it EVER dries up I can take the horse up there again and it will also prevent us from having to clamber through the ravine to get around the deadfall.

Next Wednesday's weather is supposed to be pretty nice too. that is my day off and we are going up there and have a picnic and spend hours plundering around in the woods.;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
What a lovely way to celebrate, I am so jealous... and I love the cat tagging along.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Way to go Copper! Some beautiful country and a nice hike in the woods..... a good way to celebrate!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Copper is a very handsome Gentleman:) I am so glad he has had a good recovery and is able to go hiking and exploring!! I hope the sun returns to the southeast soon.

Oh and "sorry for the butt shots" if you aint the lead dog your view never changes;):lol:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It looks like a wonderful place to enjoy some time in the woods! :)How they all love that, don't they?? Your cat is so Cute to join right in! We have the same problem, so many Coyotes in our woods now, from all the building in the area.

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
Cooper lookes great, glad everyone enjoyed their hike!!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Awww, Copper and company are having a lovely walk in the woods, even if Mom is behind them:) That boy of yours is the energizer bunny, isn't he?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Copper looks great and really seems to be enjoying is walk. Your kitty in the last picture looks like a little bobcat in that last shot. I dont mind butt shots when they are that gorgeous.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am hoping it warms up enough for more butt shots today.
I am however quite a wuss and it must be at least 45° or I won't go out other than to take of absolutely necessary things.
Of course, Copper thinks plundering in the woods is absolutely necessary so I will have to make a real effort. It is sunny today and should be at least okay if not nice.
I love it up here in the woods, but I sure do miss florida during the winter.:(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
It just warms my heart to see Copper looking so well! He looks wonderful! And to be able to take those walks with you, what a joyous celebration. It's rather funny that your cat looks so much like my cat, all things considered.
I think you said you are using a massager on him, didn't you? What are you using, and how? Toby needs all the help I can give him right now.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am using a windmere electric massager on him and also massaging by hand. I will get the model number and/or check CVS/Wal-Mart to see what they have that is similar. It is not too strong (not like shiatsu) and I think that is important. I use it on his shoulders and along each side of his spine, then his hips and along his legs. I don't stay in one area too long since it makes me itch if I do on myself so I figure it might bother him. He stretches his legs out very straight when I do them. I don't even know if my camera will take a video, but I will try to figure it out.

Barkley's mom send me PMs about manual massage and that is helping too. Cop gets the electric massage, then manual and then a heating pad on his hips. At least once a day and sometimes twice a day depending on my schedule.

I'll send you all the details since I really want Toby to feel better. copper did injure his left hind leg this summer and the massage is finally helping him use that leg better and he was also walking very stiff legged. So much so that the oncologist commented on it back in October. I think she thought I didn't care enough to try to help.:( He is almost walking normally now.:)
It has been about 5 weeks since I started his new routine. He acts like he feels great and his mobility has improved about 90%.

He is also taking duralactin since he can't take rimadyl or deramaxx due to his pancreatitis propensity and liver issues (which I am not sure he has, but shall avoid those meds all the same).

I also started him on Glycoflex III at the same time so I cannot say exactly which is helping him so much. It may be the combination.

I do notice an immediate improvement with massage and a heating pad so I know it is helping. I just am not sure how much is due to that.

We went up the mountain/hill again today. DH and I were busy clearing a massive deadfall and Copper and Jack were out of sight 20 -30 minutes. He may have gone all the way to the top and that is quite a hike. Not really so far, but a pretty hefty change in elevation.
He did hang out with us after that and then with me while I did some handclearing and he got a huge workout today. Actually more than I wanted him to, but he had so much fun. I'll make sure to do the massage and heating pad a couple of times a day for the next few days.

Biscuit was my neighbor's cat, but he chose us 6 months after we moved in. When I finally asked the neighbor if I could have him (a year later) he did not care. I was told his name was Polly....... Uh - Biscuit is a male and was not neutered at that time. How in the world did they mistake him for a female?????
We have 3 short haired gray tabbies, one long haired gray tabby and one black cat. They were all strays except for Biscuit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
So great to see Cooper looking so good and having such fun.

Hope there's many more celebrations hikes in his future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts