Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Janine
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My gorgeous 9 month old Goldie is currently shedding a lot of hair. I was wondering if this is normal? Every day he loses handfuls and it is getting very thin. I brush him regularly and also use a deshedder. Will his beautiful thick coat come back?

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
Hi, My gorgeous 9 month old Goldie is currently shedding a lot of hair. I was wondering if this is normal? Every day he loses handfuls and it is getting very thin. I brush him regularly and also use a deshedder. Will his beautiful thick coat come back?
Goldens blow their coat twice a year. Goldie will grow more hair, she is still very young. How did the parent's coat look? Some Goldens have thicker coats than others.

·
Anne
250 Posts
What type of deshedder are you using? Some tools can actually strip the dog of too much hair, and to be honest, I feel they are unnecessary anyway. I'd just go with a slicker brush and a Greyhound-style comb.... Pin brushes can be good for feathering, but won't get through a Golden's thick coat.

Otherwise, yes, lots of shedding is totally normal! We all get used to it in time. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Three strokes a day is 90 a month...
Given how long it takes for a single shaft to grow to its predetermined length (it can take 30+ days - longer if you send in your entry to a conformation show)....it is easy to see how you could easily cut too much coat.

Ditch the furminator!
A simple comb is much much safer...

Reactions: gldnboys
1 - 9 of 9 Posts