Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get some information on this from anyone out there who now has more than 2 goldens. I am thinking of adding a 3rd and recently someone told me that it's not good because there will always be an "Odd man out". Does anyone have any experience with this happening or a good experience? My oldest is now 4 years old and youngest is 2 1/2 and they play well together and are totally best buds. One male, one female. I am now afraid it will ruin there relationship which couldn't be any better.
By the way they are both neutered/spayed.

Any advice? Opinions?

thanks!

Pam, Murphy and Chauncey

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a male and female only seven months apart in age and they were 2 and 1 yrs old when I added a third puppy to the mix who was a male.

My oldest, who was a male, was inseparable with my girl when it was just the two of them. He played with the female but he always ran out of steam quickly.

When the second male entered the picture, he had lots of energy and drive. I found the girl would spend quiet, snuggly time with her older brother but when it came to playing, she opted to play more with her younger brother since he could keep up with her.

In some ways, I did find my first male left out many times. It was like he knew he couldn't get to the toys as fast as the younger male so he would just give in and let the youngest one have his way. It was tough on me to watch at times but then again, I had to be happy for the girl as she had a buddy who she could really run some steam off with.

I just made sure I spent more individual attention on my oldest guy. When I ran errands, I usually chose him only to come along with me and if I wanted a relaxing walk, he was the one that got to go. In the long run, it ended up strengthening our already existing strong bond to one another.

Having two goldens is great and so is three but when you add a third, you envitably end up with a pack and you will really see the makings of a heirarchy evolve between them.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
For the past 5 years we have had two core dogs - Lexi (the older dog) and Liberty...
With 3rd and 4th dogs coming and going....

In our house there is definately a difference...
When the two girls are alone...Lexi is more playful with Liberty...

Usually, with a 3rd dog Lexi takes on the role of Supervisor - who is having too much fun, who is not where they are supposed to be, who is eating what, who is barking at what...
She is not miserable. She actually looks and acts very regal and mature.... No doubt a different role....;)

Where as Liberty falls right into being the playmate and best buddy to the 3rd/4th dog...

The fun thing with adding Trace is that Lexi in addition to being the Supervisor, she actually prefers to play (run, play-bow, face-fight) with Trace then Liberty.......Lex and Trace are becoming good buddies!

So I guess I am saying yes it does change the relationship between the two existing dogs, but not necessarily for the worse...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wonder if it's like kids. You have two they get along great, add a third one though and it seems like war!! :) I would welcome more comments on this from others who have 3, cause as soon as we move, I want another puppy!

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
I've had 3 for almost three weeks, so I don't have a lot of experience.

My older dogs are a golden retriever and bernese mountain dog that are 6 years old and about 3.5 months apart.

We just added a golden puppy to the mix. I don't have enough hands to pet everyone at once anymore and the puppy certainly has required more attention with potty training and not eating the carpet. I do think the dynamic between the dogs has changed, but everyone seems to be adjusting well. And I wouldn't say the new dynamics are better or worse, just different.

I am finding it to be more work than I expected, but I'm enjoying all three.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have had three full time dogs since 2003. Initially it was my corgi/chow, my lab/golden and a senior golden who was a permanent foster who joined us in 2003. We rotated in and out a fourth dog, who was always a foster dog for the next two years. Then we added Jasper as a full time 4th dog in September of 2005. Tess, the senior golden passed from cancer in December of 2005 and we were back to 3 full time and one foster for the next 1 1/2 years. Then I had to put to sleep my corgi/chow due to aggression in July of 2007. In September 2007 we added Danny as a full time dog, after he was a foster for 6 months and had not been adopted.

We still rotate in a 4th (and sometimes 5th, since we have two small puppies coming here tomorrow). But the three I have have the best relationship. Jasmine, my lab/golden had fallen in love with Jasper when he first came here as a foster. With Danny it took them longer, but after 6 months, they had all bonded totally. Now you can find two of them on the dog bed most of the time, and they rotate who is sleeping with who. They all play together, though Jasper isn't very pushy so I have to help him squeeze in when Jasmine and Danny are playing together.

One thing I have noticed is that they do tend to form a pack. This is not a problem most of the time, but my Jasmine is a bit stubborn and has a mind of her own (the lab in her!) and the boys are ready to follow her. It's not a big deal and we have worked pretty hard on getting the boys to ignore Jasmine when she leads them astray. LOL

Jasper and Danny:

Jasmine and Danny:

The three together:

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
For 10 yrs I only had 2 dogs..my chocolate lab, Hershey and my first golden retriever, Sasha #1. Then Sasha passed away leaving Hershey (11 yrs at the time) all alone. After being a 1 dog household for 5 mo I finally got a golden puppy, Jack. He loved Hershey and she warmed up to him after a couple of weeks and when she played with him it seemed to bring out the puppy in her. It wasn't long before Jack's size began to become too much for Hershey so I decided to get another golden puppy (Biscuit), even though I had planned to wait a year or so. Biscuit and Jack bonded right away and that left Hershey with a little peace and quiet.

Then when Biscuit was 1-1/2 yrs old I adopted a 2 yr old black female lab, Vanilla, from Labs4Rescue but I still missed having a female golden retriever so then I got Sasha #2. Almost a year after getting Sasha I was scanning the Labs4Rescue petfinder list and happened to notice a male golden retriever so I inquired about him and Nash came to live with us the week after Easter this year. I'm up to 6 dogs now :doh: and I love them all.

I have to confess that I still look through the petfinder listings but I realize that I am at my limit for now. Each dog that arrived changed the dynamics of the pack in their own way but on average I have found the experience a positive one. Good luck with whatever you decide and remember that Goldens are like potato chips...you can't have just one!

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Our first generation of 3 Goldens- Joplin, Acadia and Raleigh were very lovey with each other, and it was hard to say if one was "in charge". They paired up differently depending on circumstance; outside, Raleigh and Joplin played hard together and buddied up for squirrel chasing while fluffy Cady wanted to be with the humans. Inside, Raleigh and Acadia liked to tug on toys and cuddle, while Joplin stayed with humans. Raleigh came to teach English class the most bc he was very social and liked schmoozing with the campus. Then, Joplin passed away at 15, and Finn came as a 7 week old baby. Raleigh changed a great deal as Liberty describes Lexi, becoming a much more serious dog. When Raleigh died last summer as an old man himself and Tally came, and then Cady unexpectedly died of hemangiosarcoma,the same transformation came over the puppyish, zany Finn. He became a much more mature and serious guy- no more zoomies, much more obedient, my right hand man. Three goldens is fun- being outnumbered as a species means we do lots of dog-centered things, and our families think we're dog-crazy.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i own 3 dogs but a chihuahua isn't much dog lol he didn't eat much,take up much space so i'm no help. Einstein is getting old and is finding it hard to keep up with Shelley with palying. cause i live with my parents i'm not allowed to get another dog till ;ater on in the future. I don't plan on getting another dog either at the moment i've got my hands full with the ones i've got now.

All i can say is if you got the time,patience & money to care and look after another dog then the decesion is yours to make.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I had three Golden last year, 2 males and 1 female plus a male Fox terrier. They all got along just fine. I didn't see any of them staying behind. Maybe because there all young. When Peanut passed in February 08 these boys where lost. We added Sadie in March I believe and the trio is complete again. Charlie the fox terrier is too old to play there games he just wants to be left alone.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Mine did ok with just the 3 of them and when I fostered Cruiser is was an even number and they paired off, but still played with each other. But I will say that Maggie and Hootie play together and Cruiser and Abbie play together mostly.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
We are a 3-dog family because OBi (12.5 y/o Goldie legally is neighbor dog & we've developed a shared ownership - he's with us majority of time - goes "home" 1x week).

At home, having all 3 is great, but OBi is a senior & doesn't require the activity level the kids do -- another neighbor dog (Berni mix) has kinda gotten left out as Sadie's best friend.
-walking: I won't walk all 3 alone cuz I couldn't handle 3 if a "situation" occurred.
-Going places: some vehicles will only handle 2 (small kingcab truck), airplane loaded with camping gear will only handle 2, tying up outside restaurant - 3 can get tangled alot easier. It's much easier for us to deal with 2 dogs - whether they are on or off lead

Sadie (lab) is 7.5, Bridger is 11 months.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would love to have three but DH has talked me out of it by saying I only have two arms to be petting them all the time. :) Then Gunner developed health issues and realistically I know we can't afford a third.

We take our boys almost everywhere with us so having three would be crowded in the car and also it's overstepping our daughter's hospitality enough to bring two goldens to her house, let alone three! (She has a golden too and three kids! It get's pretty wild and crowded!)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think it really just depends on the individual temperments and energy levels of all the dogs. There is no magic combination or right age in my opinion.

I have 6 dogs. Each addition does change the pack dynamic in some ways. Sometimes good, sometimes with some issues. Some of the dogs have taken months to accept a newcomer, and still have to be watched, and some have bonded immediately and are inseperable.

The young dogs tend to adapt pretty quickly, my oldest one still doesn't love everyone that is here, but he is dealing with it. They all have their own alliances within their pack and the hierarchy is always changing, but for the most part it isn't a big problem.

I originally only had males. My newer dogs are all females so now I am pretty evenly mixed. They are all fixed, but I don't have a preference to which sex is "easier" per se. They all have their own personality quirks.

I have one girlfriend, who lives with 3 males. Two pitbulls and a lab and they all get along beautifully. They eat together, sleep together (the two pits sleep in the same kennel) and chew on the same bones. There has never been any fighting among them and they are the best of friends. So I really think it is just an individual thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts