Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is so broken up. I no longer speak to my sister, father, whole mothers side of the family etc. I am not happy here anymore. I need a total lifestyle chance I think. I have been considering moving out to British Columbia or Alberta (as I have friends there I could stay with while I establish myself). I also seriously considered getting my papers to move over to Indiana or Florida (also have friends and one cousin I could stay with there).

Think I need a fresh start at life. Anyone living in these states/provinces how is the cost of living out there? How is the general attitude towards animals as I will bringing mine along? Also anything else I should know?

·
Registered
506 Posts
What do you do? I live in a rural area in CO so it is very limited on jobs. CO is probably the most pet-friendly state but I am sure other posters will have something to say about that. A lot of real estate sites have cost of living comparison tools on them for states and major cities. That might help if you come this way.

·
Registered
506 Posts
:( - What do you want to do? There are a lot of jobs in Denver as compared to what I hear about other cities. In your area you should see if Nutro has anything available. They always are looking for pet lovers. Even in the area you want to go to... You should always figure your wants first, needs second, effect on others third. Just some sage advice.

Right now theres no jobs here so I do nothing.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am happy to do pretty much anything. Not terribly picky. Im just not happy here, need a change, need to stop associating myself with all the negativity my remaining family brings and surround myself with positivity.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've moved a lot in my time.. it's no fun. It takes a lot of money and time! I've found it pretty hard to rent a place that will allow pets as well.

Just came back from Florida... I was in the Ft Lauderdale area. While it was very pretty I personally couldn't ever live there. Too city like for me and it seemed there weren't many people there that spoke English as their first language... That bothers me a bit (I know many don't care).

IN isn't bad.. not sure about pet friendly though?

Most places in the US are going to be cheaper than Canada. BUT we don't have free insurance and such.

Jobs in most places are a bit tougher to find - but if you aren't being picky I don't think it'll be a problem.

Just do some research. Visit these friends/relatives and see what you think. Keep in mind you'll have to find your own place and that may take a while when trying to keep large dogs. I was in a rush and ended up paying A LOT to keep my pups. Then had to get rid of one because he kept chewing things up in the townhouse. Landlord kicked him out :(
Also have to have a good bit saved up for the move itself (if you have to rent a moving truck be prepared to get charged A LOT! I spend over $100 to move 2 miles down the road!!! Gas in those stupid trucks is crazy!!!! and had to drive out of the way to pick up the truck which they still charged me for)

I must say I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't agree to pack up and move to change the way life was. I HATED North Carolina and my fiance at the time wanted to move to West Virginia where his other half of family was. We visited and I fell in love :) I stayed here and he moved back to NC. I don't have any family what so ever around here - but I don't regret the move one bit!! I've struggled financially a few times... ate a lot of noodles... but i'm as happy as can be!!

Oh and just wanted to add - no matter where you go you will find people you want to get away from. You will always have moments where you still want to get away. But one day you'll find yourself in a place you enjoy - you'll buckle down and deal with the BS instead.
Moving away from problems never solves anything. Moving away from an area you don't want to be in works.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
:( - What do you want to do? There are a lot of jobs in Denver as compared to what I hear about other cities. In your area you should see if Nutro has anything available. They always are looking for pet lovers. Even in the area you want to go to... You should always figure your wants first, needs second, effect on others third. Just some sage advice.
I respectfully disagree with this advice, NEEDS should be first, we can't always have what we want. If you are financially able to relocate, great, but if not you need to suck it up until you are. Rather than make such a far move and expect others to take you in, why not get your own place where your job is now. I live in OH near the IN border, the economy/jobs is terrible. No one wants to hire full time and a part time job won't support you and your pets. Health insurance is expensive. Do you have a degree?
Even people in the health care industry are having a hard time.

My advice?...if you have a full time job now, keep it.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with desi.n.nutro about looking around for a website that can provide cost of living information. You can also check: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition to get a feel for what certain jobs can pay.

Anywhere you go you should be able to find housing that allows pets, it's just generally going to cost more.

And what LilTuffGirl said about insurance is extremely important...if you can't find a job that provides health insurance you'll need to buy it and it can be really expensive so that's something to take into account when looking at cost of living and how much your job might pay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts