Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! Wanted to put this out to the group in general. We are thinking about getting a puppy, we have a six year old Golden, Zeus. He is a fabulous dog as you all know, very sweet, active/playful, well behaved, loves other dogs and people etc etc, typical golden! We are empty nesters. Thinking about getting a second dog ... for a few reasons. We hear it can keep the older dog "young"... and, truth be told, people have told me it's nice to have another dog when the older one leaves ... :cry: Those reasons are true but we also just love our dog and think it would be fun to have another pup around, we have the time and space. We are interested in a SMALLER dog however. Not sure I can handle two golden size dogs though I would just LOVE another golden! We take long walks and often go to the beach and forest preserves so two large dogs is maybe more than I can handle in particular.
Looking for recommendations for smaller breeds that might do well with my golden. He fell in love with a mini Bernedoodle at the park recently, she followed him around for over an hour and they played a lot but I'm not sure about them because it is not yet a recognized breed, etc but they sure are cute (and super expensive). I'm not sure about the whole "designer" dog thing but would love to hear other thoughts on this . I hear King Charles Spaniels have dispositions similar to Goldens?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are wonderful little dogs. You will need to go through a very good breeder who has all possible health clearances, as there are severe health problems in the breed. The cavalier rescue group is great as well, that’s who we got our boy from. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts