Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this doesn't apply to any of you but I thought you would all understand. I work in a shelter and it has been sickening me the amount of people returning and/or surrender their pets due to "allergies" that their children have. First of all,wouldn't you expose your child to other people's pets before going out and adopting your own to see if they have allergies (I know a lot of the times allergies is an excuse to dump off their pet).

The other day I came in to work and everyone was freaking out. There was a 9 week(around 10 now) gorgeous white golden retriever puppy. :no: I almost died as goldens (let along puppies) rarely come into shelter. Her eye was all black and runny (eye infection) but extremely sweet, gentel and loving. If I didn't have a 8 month old pup, two 7 month old kittens and live in an apartment then I would snap her up in an instant. The owners gave her up after a week as apparently their kid was "extremely allergic to her". Not sure why they didn't try returning her where they got her from but they pretty much dumped her at the front desk and ran out, with no info at all about her. She is not trained at all and is/will not be house broken or trained in her time at the shelter. Unfortunately now this means she won't be available for adoption until she is healthy again and assessed as no one knows anything about her (including a name). She is going to spend her prime puppy months in a shelter. This infuriates me!

Also, there were several cats adopted on the weekend during our adoptathon who are already back with us do to "allergies". Seriously people??? We screen and interview them to try and prevent this yet somehow people still slip through the cracks. Arg, I'm so mad.

/End rant.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
OMG how frustrating!!!! When will people understand that having a pet is a privilege and not a right?? It's a COMMITMENT! I'm sorry you have to deal with that :(

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Let me just say if I lived in Ontario, I would scoop her up in a second!

That being said, i agree, some people! I think a lot of people like the idea of a puppy or a kitten and not realize how much work they are until they get them home and then just don't want to bother. Which boggles my mind because having a pet that's a baby, your going to have to take care of it and teach it things.. just like a human baby? We haven't had puppies in years when me and my boyfriend decided to get a puppy, but it's not like we didn't know what was in store. And with allergies? Clearly if you were around pets at one point wouldn't you know if you were allergic to pets or not? I don't think most of these kids wern't introduced to pets in their life. Ugh it makes me soo mad! And to just drop off a puppy who is "sick" and just leave? Clearly these people just didn't want to pay the vet bills. rshgjkdhka!!

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
Why does she have to stay at the shelter?

I was under the impression that puppies are generally placed in foster homes if at all possible. Particularly since you know this puppy will need another round of vaccinations since the vaccination history is unknown.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Unfortunately, people do things impulsively without thorough thought or research and this is what happens.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Usually there is some type of intake paper where the "owners" have to fill in their information. Call them. Ask for the breeder's name. The breeder would want to know if they're worth two cents!

·
Registered
233 Posts
ugh I'm pretty sure I'd be fired quickly if I ever worked in a shelter. I don't think I could keep from scolding irresponsible people like that >_<. I'm generally a very mild mannered person...but when it comes to people being irresponsible with their animals it makes me a bit crazy lol.

Kudos to you for being able to handle stupid people:).

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I know this doesn't apply to any of you but I thought you would all understand. I work in a shelter and it has been sickening me the amount of people returning and/or surrender their pets due to "allergies" that their children have. First of all,wouldn't you expose your child to other people's pets before going out and adopting your own to see if they have allergies (I know a lot of the times allergies is an excuse to dump off their pet).

The other day I came in to work and everyone was freaking out. There was a 9 week(around 10 now) gorgeous white golden retriever puppy. :no: I almost died as goldens (let along puppies) rarely come into shelter. Her eye was all black and runny (eye infection) but extremely sweet, gentel and loving. If I didn't have a 8 month old pup, two 7 month old kittens and live in an apartment then I would snap her up in an instant. The owners gave her up after a week as apparently their kid was "extremely allergic to her". Not sure why they didn't try returning her where they got her from but they pretty much dumped her at the front desk and ran out, with no info at all about her. She is not trained at all and is/will not be house broken or trained in her time at the shelter. Unfortunately now this means she won't be available for adoption until she is healthy again and assessed as no one knows anything about her (including a name). She is going to spend her prime puppy months in a shelter. This infuriates me!

Also, there were several cats adopted on the weekend during our adoptathon who are already back with us do to "allergies". Seriously people??? We screen and interview them to try and prevent this yet somehow people still slip through the cracks. Arg, I'm so mad.

/End rant.
Can the shelter contact Golden rescue and get the puppy pulled into rescue so she can be in a foster home?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does she have to stay at the shelter?

I was under the impression that puppies are generally placed in foster homes if at all possible. Particularly since you know this puppy will need another round of vaccinations since the vaccination history is unknown.
First of all let me say that the way the shelters work in ontario are a$$-backwards and I despise how they are run... that being said I don't want to say too much about the shelter as people have been fired for this thing before. We are severely under funded and under staffed.

The thing about the shelter is that it does not pass animals off to rescues/other shelters unless it is full. She is in a back holding in confinement. I asked about fostering as I would be interested but they said she is going to stay there until they can put her up for adoption... I also have a horrible feeling that she is going to get returned again as she is completely untrained.

I'm pretty sure I would get fired if I saw the one who brought her in... I talked to the person who did and the people didn't seem to care. If I saw them then I would have went on a rampage. Apparently there was no intake paper... They litterally handed her off said a few things and walked out. I have tried to find out info for a week on her and not one person in the shelter knows a thing about her. I highly doubt she was from a proper breeder because if she was then they could have easily gave her back.... she is probably from a BYB or something.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh my goodness! Yes! The shelter I volunteer at gets puppies returned all the time for not being housebroken, and a myriad of other insanities. I mean, come on! And the most recent one that got to me was an absolute sweetheart who got returned after 4 days. Reason? Change in lifestyle. REALLY?? Grrr...

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is ridiculous! I think many people have never had a puppy before and when they get home and have an accident on their floors or they have to get up at night or furniture gets chewed up they just give up not take any responsibility for the fact that a puppy has to be taught by them what is expected. We got our puppy at 11 weeks from someone who couldn't keep her because the puppy was fighting with her huge black lab?! Our girl is so calm! I know it was just that they were a young couple and didn't realize how much work a puppy was especially when they both worked full time and already had an older dog.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh my goodness! Yes! The shelter I volunteer at gets puppies returned all the time for not being housebroken, and a myriad of other insanities. I mean, come on! And the most recent one that got to me was an absolute sweetheart who got returned after 4 days. Reason? Change in lifestyle. REALLY?? Grrr...
It is really infuriating isn't it?? I'm not sure how long these people had her for but It must have been only for a few days - a week. I think that's exactly what happened... they though awwww cute puppy let's get it, without realizing it's like a little baby. I'm sure it peed and pooed all over the house (it is has not went washroom outside once since it was brought in) and they couldn't be bothered to deal with it (or with the eye infection she had... they probably left her outside) so they dumped her off. The shelter should charge these idiots $500 for dumping her off. Now this poor confused puppy doesn't know what's going on and will probably have issues down the road.

I really wish I could take this sweet girl... it breaks my heart! :no::no:

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
poor baby :( ugh i just want to snuggle her and love her
Me too. Everytime I'm at work I let her out and play with her and cuddle even though I'm not suppose to really but I don't care anymore. I just hope she get's moved to the adoption room soon... I just have a horrible feeling some impulsive family with young kids will take her and return her in a week... if that happens I am taking her home. I'm really anti-people today... I can't believe some people. :mad::(

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,598 Posts
It's very unfortunate that a lot of people don't look at adding a pet to their family as a Life time Committment, meaning the life of the dog or any animal. It happens too often.

I use to help with Intake for one of the GR Rescues here in NC, we worked with a few shelters that DID NOT release dogs to Rescue Groups at all, some would only if the shelter was getting too full as yours. Most of the shelters in my state are required to make animals available for adoption to the public for so many days before a Rescue Group can come in and pull them. If the animal is still available after this period, hasn't been adopted, then the Rescue Group can take the animal.

Too many people complained that Rescue Groups were taking all the Purebred dogs and the public didn't have a chance to adopt them. Therefore the reason for the shelters giving the public a chance to adopt before a Rescue can take them.

I'm not saying I agree with it but understand the policy.

My Roxy was adopted through the GR Rescue I helped and I adopted Remy from my County Humane Soceity. I was glad to have the opportunity to adopt him-I can see both sides of it.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Me too. Everytime I'm at work I let her out and play with her and cuddle even though I'm not suppose to really but I don't care anymore. I just hope she get's moved to the adoption room soon... I just have a horrible feeling some impulsive family with young kids will take her and return her in a week... if that happens I am taking her home. I'm really anti-people today... I can't believe some people. :mad::(
Is this a sad situation. Yes. But this family at least gave the pup a second chance for a good home. They could have just chained it to a tree for the rest of it's life. I feel there are more good people than not that will have a heart and warm place for this pup.

First of all let me say that the way the shelters work in ontario are a$$-backwards and I despise how they are run... that being said I don't want to say too much about the shelter as people have been fired for this thing before. We are severely under funded and under staffed.

The thing about the shelter is that it does not pass animals off to rescues/other shelters unless it is full. She is in a back holding in confinement. I asked about fostering as I would be interested but they said she is going to stay there until they can put her up for adoption... I also have a horrible feeling that she is going to get returned again as she is completely untrained.

I'm pretty sure I would get fired if I saw the one who brought her in... I talked to the person who did and the people didn't seem to care. If I saw them then I would have went on a rampage. Apparently there was no intake paper... They litterally handed her off said a few things and walked out. I have tried to find out info for a week on her and not one person in the shelter knows a thing about her. I highly doubt she was from a proper breeder because if she was then they could have easily gave her back.... she is probably from a BYB or something.
She is only 10 weeks old......my pup wasn't fully trained at that age. I don't see the problem.

You don't know the situation where the pup came from. It very well could be the people were too embarrased to turn her back over to the breeder.....

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's very unfortunate that a lot of people don't look at adding a pet to their family as a Life time Committment, meaning the life of the dog or any animal. It happens too often.

I use to help with Intake for one of the GR Rescues here in NC, we worked with a few shelters that DID NOT release dogs to Rescue Groups at all, some would only if the shelter was getting too full as yours. Most of the shelters in my state are required to make animals available for adoption to the public for so many days before a Rescue Group can come in and pull them. If the animal is still available after this period, hasn't been adopted, then the Rescue Group can take the animal.

Too many people complained that Rescue Groups were taking all the Purebred dogs and the public didn't have a chance to adopt them. Therefore the reason for the shelters giving the public a chance to adopt before a Rescue can take them.

I'm not saying I agree with it but understand the policy.

My Roxy was adopted through the GR Rescue I helped and I adopted Remy from my County Humane Soceity. I was glad to have the opportunity to adopt him-I can see both sides of it.
I think that's the same with my shelter... they do not release any animals to rescues. They only approach rescues themselves (not very often) if a dog has been there for years or there simply is no room for them.

It is true... she is one of the very few (i'm talking maybe one or two) purebreds that the shelter has... most that come in are mixed. Not to say they are not great dogs but it's not as common as they are adopted rather quickly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this a sad situation. Yes. But this family at least gave the pup a second chance for a good home. They could have just chained it to a tree for the rest of it's life. I feel there are more good people than not that will have a heart and warm place for this pup.

She is only 10 weeks old......my pup wasn't fully trained at that age. I don't see the problem.

You don't know the situation where the pup came from. It very well could be the people were too embarrased to turn her back over to the breeder.....

I worded that poorly... what I mean is that she didn't even have a chance to be trained so now it is going to be more difficult when she is adopted since she may be there for 6 months and a lot of people looking for an older pup expect it to be house trained.

You are right, I don't know the situation but what I am saying is that they should have handed her off to a rescue or even re-homed her themselves as a shelter is an awful place for a young pup to grow up.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I worded that poorly... what I mean is that she didn't even have a chance to be trained so now it is going to be more difficult when she is adopted since she may be there for 6 months and a lot of people looking for an older pup expect it to be house trained.

You are right, I don't know the situation but what I am saying is that they should have handed her off to a rescue or even re-homed her themselves as a shelter is an awful place for a young pup to grow up.
Why would they hold her for 6 months? Believe it or not one of the biggest golden retriever rescues here in the Los Angeles areas kennel some of their dogs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts