Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get some suggestions for inside activities for my 1 and 1/2 year old golden retriever?

He has 2 walks (30-60 minute) per day and he is at doggy daycare 2-3 times per week, but I have university exams at the moment and I feel bad that often he has hours and hours of sitting around during the day because he is such an energetic little man still!

I can't really afford to put him in daycare every day of the week or the time to take him to the beach for a couple of hours every day (though he still gets his 2 leash walks).

I just need to find something that is stimulating that he can do by himself while I am studying for the next couple of weeks on the days that he isn't at daycare

Thanks for any ideas! :)

p.s he has a kong which he gets everything out of in a few minutes and he goes through huge bones in about 20 minutes!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He is a handsome boy! I would suggest training. It really tires a dog out mentally and they really enjoy it! Maybe start up in a basic obedience class and eventually go into a competitive obedience class, agility class, tricks class, or nose work class. Then you can practice at home daily. I train my girl every day and it is time we both spend together that is enjoyable and bonding.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
He's so cute! Can you take a few minutes out from your studies to play some games with him? Maybe just take a 5 minute break and do watch, leave it, play attention games, get one of those little tricks books and play some of the games.

Mine keep themselves busy with antlers and stuff but when they were puppies and I had to leave them in the crate, I went to the pet store and got some of those interactive toys - they're shaped like balls or bottles, etc. you put some cookies or kibbles or bones in them and the dog has to work or puzzle solve to get them.

I think Denise Fenzi Dog Sport Academy online has a course about games to play when stuck indoors ... although I doubt you need another class at this time :p
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try freezing his Kong. I fill Holly's with yoghurt and freeze it and it gives her about 45 minutes of licking/sucking until she manages to empty it. You can chop up bits of fruit/veggies to mix with the yoghurt too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I am busy on the computer, I sometimes loop a rope tug toy over my foot/ankle and play with my girl like that, she can just pull to her heart's content but you need the right toy really. It can get uncomfortable after a while too but it definitely entertains!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I was just searching online to see if I could find a piece of agility equipment we could use indoors this winter. Of course you will need to supervise this activity, but it could work to tire your cutie out so you can get back to your studies. I find one hour of Fungility will keep my younger dog quiet for about 3 hours after!

·
Sandy's People
5 Posts
Games!

We have 1 1/2 year old and 4 year old goldens and they like to be busy! If we are leaving them alone for a while we will create a foggy scavenger hunt. We'll put the dogs outside while we hide little treats all over the house. Then we take something longer lasting like a raw hide and hide it in a toy (all their plush toys have holes in them from busy dogs pulling out the stuffing!) and put it somewhere on the floor. Just before we go, we let them in and off they go looking for goodies.

We also take 10 minutes once in a while when we are home and play hide and seek with them. They love it, it's a great way to work on "wait" or "stay" and it gives them some stimulation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
First, oh my goodness the cute face!!

Second:
- agree with the suggestion above about freezing the Kong.
- can you get bully sticks in NZ? although they might not last, they are safe and can buy you a little time
- consider investing in one or two "treat dispensing" toys. don't feed him out of a dish - just put his helping of kibble into the toy and let him have at. My dog's favorite is called a "bob-a-lot" but not sure what you will find where you are.

I went through medical school with a young dog, who saved my sanity :) He would chew on a chew toy while I studied - he could stay quiet from 1 to 2 hours, and then he had to go for a walk or (once a day) a long run. I studied better after our walks and runs, so it was all for the best. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts