Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey is 5 years old. For awhile now she has gone through phases where she has to go out in the middle of the night usually between 1 AM and 4 AM for several nights in row and then there several nights when she is fine all night. She won't whine at the door in the night either she just paces up and down the hall until I wake up. If I don't hear her pacing I wake up to poop on the floor (it's never been diarrhea). Both of my dogs are fed dinner at 6 PM. They get treats at around 8 PM. Usually the last time they are out for the night is at 9 or 9:30. I don't go out with them so I don't know who's done what when they are out, but I have tried following her around.

I got Bailey when she was 15 months old, and she was not potty trained. She only ever had one accident in the house at that time. She was crate trained, but she has had free run of the house for over a year now, and has only had problems for the past few months. I don't want to go back to the crate. I don't have a puppy or a baby so I shouldn't have to be getting up in the night. Any suggestions on getting her to make it through the night?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The crate would be my suggestion. If she continues this new found habit it'll be harder to break.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Is it possible for you to feed her earlier? We've found here at the pet hotel that if we feed later, we come in to a bunch of messes in the morning. If we feed about 4 in the afternoon, problem solved.
Also, how much and what kind of treat does she get at 8? That might be the issue.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, how much and what kind of treat does she get at 8? That might be the issue.
She gets two of the little original milk bones. They are really for small dogs, but they are they are like 15 calories each so they are good for their waistlines. I don't think the two tiny treats are the problem.

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
This exact thing has happened here twice. Both times (same dog), it was due to the dog having tapeworms. I know, Yuck. Worms are active at night, and it disturbs the dog's sleep. Sometimes you can see a small white thing that looks like a piece of rice on the dog's fur (near rear end). We routinely treat the dogs for worms every 6 months now. As soon as our dog was treated with medicine from the vet, she slept soundly through the night again.

It may be something else as well, but wanted to chime in on our experience. Good luck!

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Another thing you might consider is to actually go with them on all potty breaks to ensure they do what they're supposed to do. Our Riley is the queen of dilly-dally. She can get sidetracked with smells and noises so easily that she will "forget" what she's supposed to do. I have to encourage her to take care of business. I go with both of ours every time, and I know by "last call" whether they have done their business.:)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I say go outside with her to make sure she is doing her business. Start over like a puppy and when she does her business give her lots of encourgement and cheering. Dogs love to please so maybe after a short time she will learn to go while outside.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Another thing you might consider is to actually go with them on all potty breaks to ensure they do what they're supposed to do. Our Riley is the queen of dilly-dally. She can get sidetracked with smells and noises so easily that she will "forget" what she's supposed to do. I have to encourage her to take care of business. I go with both of ours every time, and I know by "last call" whether they have done their business.:)
My Hubby is the same way - he makes SURE that they do their number two's at night. Probably because he's the only one who wakes up to their whining if they have to go in the night! He has a pocket flashlight that he takes out after dark - to ensure he knows what is "going on" - LOL. I always tell him to stop shining the light on their bums when they're going - I know I wouldn't like that!!!

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
He has a pocket flashlight that he takes out after dark - to ensure he knows what is "going on" - LOL.
Hey.... I do too, only it's a super duper halogen version to spot the coyotes, skunk, raccoon, etc. and check for poop.

I always tell him to stop shining the light on their bums when they're going - I know I wouldn't like that!!!
So is that why they always turn and give me "the look"?:p: Such modesty.....:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts