Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this is a golden trait or just a Max thing. Max is a hoot as he really isn't a barker but he barks at the oddest things. Some examples of what Max has barked at (nonstop): rug shampooer, reflection in kitchen window, reflection in TV at grandma's over Christmas at 3 AM, remote control car, big blue post mailbox, and most recently:

Last night we were upstairs watching TV and Max and Leif were downstairs. So we start hearing this barking and at first we were unsure if it was Max. Well, Max keeps going. Finally, I get up and see Leif downstairs on the computer oblivious to Max's barking and I ask Leif what is Max barking at? He runs in and says, oh no!! It's (and I hear It's spot!" Spot is our kitty. So I rush downstairs thinking Max is horrifying the old boy and I see him barking at a POT that must have fell out of my cupboard. Ugh. Just a normal run of the day pot and he's going nuts barking over it!! What a dog!! :uhoh:

What way out things have your golden barked at? Just wondering if I'm the only one who sees this!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Barking

The only time Molly ever barks is when she go's camping :bowl: If anyone comes near the tent she doesn't like it :no: until she gets to smell them and lick them to death:doh: but i wouldn't have her any other way;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure if it's really a Golden trait--but it does happen here too. Shiloh & Spirit will bark at things in the neighbours yard if it's new. "It wasn't there yesterday so we must bark at it" Spirit barked at her reflection in the oven door for months when she was a puppy, and still does it from time to time. When the neighbour put up his Christmas decorations--Shiloh stopped when we were walking past and started growling & barking at the snowman. I have a big Golden calander hanging on the wall in the kitchen--the picture is a close up of a Golden---just yesterday Spirit noticed it and her hackles went up and she started barking at it. I could go on & on LOL

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh goodness, Lily has a tonne of things she barks at for no reason. The one we never did understand was the neighbour's hammock...she barked at that thing constantly until he put it away for the winter. December's been an interesting month with people putting up light displays...she's barked at light up reindeer, inflatable Santas, you name it, she's barked at it. Oh, and she continues to bark at the imaginary possum she believes is in our backyard. We had one possum, once, for about 1 minute in the backyard. Since then she's convinced he's out there waiting for her so she barks at him. I'm sure there are others but those are the three coming to mind now! :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
KAdence would bark ay her own shadow when she was little. Recently it was the red light blinking on the DVD player (we may have caused this by playing with a red light laser LOL) Frequently at their own reflections in the TV or any glass, & even big boxes initially.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Tito doesn't bark. But hey, he's only 2-1/2, maybe he'll learn one of these days.
Goofy dog.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
The first day Maxie was with us she started barking at our Topsy-Turvy tomato planter thing.

I don't blame her, though. I hate tomatoes too. ;)

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Opus never barked.

Tasha barks on occasion... at a puppy, every night she barked at her reflection in the kitchen door when I shut off the lights at night. One day, carried by the wind, a plastic grocery bag tumbled across the back yard... that was very scary. These days about the only thing she barks at would be squirrels.

There there is Bob.

Bob barks when something that wasn't there before appears... And he is very observant.

For instance around Halloween... 3 houses down they attached a 2' tall straw scarecrow to the post of their mailbox. We went out for the paper, Bob looked down the street, and he alerted us all that that 'thing' was never attached to the post before.

Christmas was the same. One morning we went out and there were strange 'things' in front of the house across the street. Bob didn't like that at first. So we went over and checked on everything and Bob was satisfied. But later that same day they added a 3' tall snowman figure and the next time we went out Bob sounded the alert once again. Sure they stand out at night... but in the daytime they really aren't that noticeable.

The funniest day was when both dogs went toward the pond to check out the wildlife. They discovered a 5' long section of pvc pipe that appeared at the edge of the pond. In the five years Natasha has been going to the pond that was never there before! They started barking like mad. Tasha even got in the pond and snuck up on the pipe from behind. It took about 15 minutes for them to decide it was no threat.

And finally... the first time Bob was in the car when I went to the library. the only parking space available was next to this bronze sculpture of a bull. Bob was not happy about that. Well I couldn't blame him... that bull looked pretty aggressive. Next time we went to the library... no problem... apparently Bob decided that it's okay since the statue was there before.

Attachments

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
We live in the country and Miss Happy barks and growls at cows. This year she started growling at Christmas reindeer decorations....it is really cute.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger's 2+ & I'm gunna miss it when he's totally mature & doesn't bark at statues - yesterday at the town Nativity scene he was a real herder of sheep, camels, wise men.

and we aren't supposed to park any of our vehicles except where they belong - or it's worth a growl.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Scout is not a barker, she only barks if she hears a car door or sometimes in the early morning at the paper delivery guy. When our neighbors had the deers outside of their house during Christmas she barked at them the first time she saw them...Nothing too crazy, which is fine with me. She always lets me know if she hears something and barks like she is a big scary dog. When in fact if someone came in she would just roll on her back for belly rubs...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker did not really bark at anything until he was about 14 mo old. Now he barks at things that are out of place in the house, the doorbell, when he needs water, his reflection in the fireplace doors or mirror, and the fox that now crosses our back yard from time to time. It amazes me what he notices.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The only things cooper ever barks at, is my vacuum cleaner but ONLY when hes out of his crate. and when i take him on a walk and he passes our neighbors ScareCrow.
and he barks while playing with our chihuahua.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the girls bark at leaves blowing down the street, people on bicycles, and of course the squirrels who terrorize them on a regular basis. sophie has barked at the dalmation statue in front of the fire station. funniest has to be allison(rip)our gordon setter who hated the pinup of dracula during halloween.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My golden mostly barks at small animals, but my sheepdog mix barks at leaves falling off the trees, garbage cans, cars parked in the street that weren't there the day before, you name it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Zoey barks at anything out of place in our yard as well. One day the neighbors kids lost their beach ball in our yard, that was apparently worth quite the warning!
This week we're staying at parents for the holidays and yesterday she started frantically pacing in front of a closed bedroom door and barking at the room....we let her in multiple times and she didn't pick anything out that she was barking at...strange.
Posted this video in the video section a while back with the threatening snowman in the yard!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ckGT8nha0

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zoey barks at anything out of place in our yard as well. One day the neighbors kids lost their beach ball in our yard, that was apparently worth quite the warning!
This week we're staying at parents for the holidays and yesterday she started frantically pacing in front of a closed bedroom door and barking at the room....we let her in multiple times and she didn't pick anything out that she was barking at...strange.
Posted this video in the video section a while back with the threatening snowman in the yard!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ckGT8nha0
laughs, that's great!! I posted the rug shampooer video awhile ago too but I'll post it on this thread as well. I need to upload the RC car video soon too!! We did not get the TV/3 AM one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMXv03o-Y4

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
MacKenzie is the barker in the family. She barks at Brady anytime he has a toy or a bone, even if she is already playing with one or two of her own. She wants them all.

Last night I brought her outside, and she would not leave my front stairs. Obviously afraid of something, and barking. I tried a couple times more, no luck, still barking towards our snow covered driveway.

A little later, I noticed a bunny out there. She was afraid of the bunny!!! (Here I was thinking it was a coyote, a deer, or a stalker!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts