Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 1/2 year old golden, Maddy, was diagnosed with thyroid issues last November. She was losing hair, had dry skin and had gained weight. She is back to normal now that she's been taking a thyrotab every 12 hours for the last four months, but just in the last month she's grown a thick, curly coat around her neck and on the backs of her hind legs. It's really soft hair, and the rest of her coat looks fine. I'm not sure if it's connected, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has experienced something similar with their golden.

Anyone?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My two goldens (not related by blood) are both curly to varying degrees. Both are hypothyroid but both got their curls well before the diagnosis. I'm not sure if it is related to low thyroid but I suspect not.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra has real cotton-y hair on her hips and a little on her shoulders.
Not sure if that's what your referring to. If I remember correctly, the vet said sometimes that happens with spayed females.
I know I'm not much help with this.
Karen

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My Alli had wavy hair, and it was especially wavy around her neck; she never had any thyroid issues though--it was just a natural wave. The only way I could get it to lie straight was to blow dry it at the roots and thin it with a pumice stone or Mars stripper.

But it was so much work! I was told I should have worked more with her as a puppy to try to correct those waves. Alli has since passed on but I own her niece and she has some waves along her rear area that I'm trying to tame.

I do know that some females get the cottony coat--Alli never did, but her older cousin, which I owned, Jake, did especially along the tail and backside--he was spayed and his coat was very difficult to manage back there. He also had a somewhat "silky" coat--not entirely correct for a golden (IMHO) and he was a burr magnet and that coat got tangled far too easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts