Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it takes about 4 weeks for a dog to acclimate(sp?) to a new home. We have have Magoo just over a month and he has really gotten comfortable, for the good and the bad LOL. When he is relaxed you would never know he is here, belly up againist a door or couch. When he is in the mood though, he is trouble:) He is always stealing the kids toys, they are much more fun than his I guess...He has counter surfed/smelled a few times. He has also found the garbage...luckily he hasn't gotten anything. What a difference though from a bit timid 5 1/2 month old pup to this almost 7 month old pup. He looks so much older to me too. They sure grow up fast!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to owning a golden retriever. LOL They do keep you on your toes. I swear I use all five of my senses to keep track of mine. Just remember to laugh and not scream at their antics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
We've had Tundra for almost 8 months now (he was 11 months old when we adopted him). He has definitely settled in and made himself right at home! It took him 4 months before he tried to get on the couch....guess someone had taught him not to, but we didn't care. Now he's a regular couch potato snuggled up beside "dad". When we first got him, he never "marked" anything on our walks....now he does. Guess he decided everyone should know he's "here". He does now bark when he sees someone walking past the house or hears something outside the fence (it's a solid 6 ft fence, although with the snow, it's a little shorter). I think he's decided it's "his" house/yard now and he should protect it....that would be "golden" protection though! Totally useless. He had to do some pretty "ferocious" growling/barking to save us from the pizza boxes on the counter the other night! He's pretty laid back which suits us "old" folks just fine. We just love the big goofball to bits.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
When we got Dillon almost a year ago, he made himself right at home the first day. He and Sam had a ball playing in the yard, most of the day.. then we all went inside, Dill got up next to me on the couch, and sacked out. That night, he slept in our bed as well. I remember being amazed how at home he felt. He wasn't very cuddly at first with me or my bf... that is something that has progressed, and now he's very cuddly with both of us.. and with Sam, although he and Sam have always been cuddly with eachother since day 1. I realize all dogs are different, and all dogs take their own time to warm up to a new family... Dillon's ease of fitting right in to my family just reaffirmed what I always felt.. he was destined to be my pup. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have had Lola for almost 3 months now and she has settled in just fine she still barks at people going by the house and other sounds I have no idea what they could be. She had problems at first with my DH but now they are best friends. Picture a 63 pound 11 month old jumping up in your lap on a recliner chair and getting great neck massages... We love her so much... Goldies are the best...

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think part of it is having the 'parents' taking a month to relax too.

At first, new 'parents' hover to make sure new pup isn't chewing/peeing/stealing. Everybody relaxes bit by bit as they find out they really can trust the other.

I think it's a mutual thing. And a wonderful thing. So glad it works out so well. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts