Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever stop and think: omg, I live with an animal!!!

I think of Penny as such a part of the family; she thinks of herself as part of the family. We love her to pieces, we talk to her, we play with her, we love on her. I know she's not a child or a person but I love her as if she were.

Every once in a while, I watch her walk thru a room or get on a bed and realize WE LIVE WITH AN ANIMAL. Not our species. Not even close. And yet it feels like she's almost a person. Luckily, she's always better than a real person. We wouldn't have it any other way.

I wonder if she ever thinks the same, only opposite. OMG, I live with people! Gotta love thumbs!

Just kind of a weird thought for today.

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
I especially think things just like that when I watch programs on National Geographic or Discovery and watch the habits of animals in the wild with many of the same traits as our domesticated babies. Tucker doesn't know he hes a dog though... ;)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
No , not really, my dogs are part of my family, i would hate to think,how sad it would be without dogs, now my choc. lab, with her nasty habit, i could live without the habit.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
What a deep thought you are having this early in the morning! You are right, I consider my dogs as my family and everything we do is around their needs. I forget many times they are animals and am blessed that DH feels the same. Wonder how they crawled into our lives and went from animals to our kids and family members? Know they get better health care than we two adults get!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! It's almost as if our dogs are somewhere in between being a dog and being a people. She's just so comfortable with US! And sometimes I look at her sitting in front of me waiting patiently for the little tidbit she knows is coming and I think: Wow, she has all the tools she needs to kill me if she wanted to. She IS an animal under all that beautiful gold fur. But no, she'd rather wait for the handout, the pats, the kisses. It just amazes me!

I especially think things just like that when I watch programs on National Geographic or Discovery and watch the habits of animals in the wild with many of the same traits as our domesticated babies. Tucker doesn't know he hes a dog though... ;)

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I have had that exact thought!! And I've also wondered if she thinks it is weird that she lives with a human. :)

I have thoughts like that... I also wonder why it would totally gross me out if a little kid got up on my couch or bed with her outdoor shoes on... yet outdoor paws are just fine. I never walk into my house with shoes on. Paws, all the time.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It's never occured to me. When I think of an animal I think of like Possums or Racoons or anything else that shouldn't be in my home haha.

My dogs are my family.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How funny, my husband says this very thing, time to time. And I look at him oddly...cause I honestly don't feel like they are animals, lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had that exact thought!! And I've also wondered if she thinks it is weird that she lives with a human. :)

I have thoughts like that... I also wonder why it would totally gross me out if a little kid got up on my couch or bed with her outdoor shoes on... yet outdoor paws are just fine. I never walk into my house with shoes on. Paws, all the time.
Same here! No shoes for anyone ever in my house. But I have 12 paws.. but I do towel them off, or even use a bucket to dip their feet in if muddy outside. We are in the Northeast US, so right now it is suppose to be cold , but it is nicer than anything thought possible for this time of year. But that makes a big headache to keep my dogs clean!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never really thought about the paws thing, but you're right. Penny runs around at the barn and we never wipe her feet. We do have a throw on the couch and I put the bedspread wrong side up unless we're having company.

She drags in sticks, leaves, grass clippings, bits of hay and shavings from the barn. They fall off and I vacuum them up. Kids, however, had to remove their shoes.

No wonder they say I'm nicer to Penny than I was to them! I tell them that's because she's perfect and they weren't! :D

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Same here! No shoes for anyone ever in my house. But I have 12 paws.. but I do towel them off, or even use a bucket to dip their feet in if muddy outside. We are in the Northeast US, so right now it is suppose to be cold , but it is nicer than anything thought possible for this time of year. But that makes a big headache to keep my dogs clean!
Oooooh.. we're in a similar climate time right now. It's like spring - so muddy parks! It's great when the snow comes... but Toronto uses so much salt it goes from dirt to salt prints on my floors!

Good thing I love her so much. :eek:

·
Maggie Riley & Hank's Mom
254 Posts
There came a point for me that my dogs stopped being "dogs" to me. I see them as people in my mind and heart...does that make sense to anyone else? They are just another one of my children!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I won't drink after a grandkid gets a drink out of my glass (and usually leaves chunkys) but have gone to dog shows and split bottles of water with my dogs, sometimes we have even shared a cup. Gross, but honestly didn't think about it at the time, we were both thirsty, we both drank. Odd now that I think on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts