Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working late tonight on an overdue project, so I took Rookie out for his last pee just 15 minutes or so ago. And as I'm sitting here finishing up, I hear a coyote howling... a lot... right in my backyard. Rookie is awake now and listening very attentively.

Living in such a suburban area just outside of Boston, coyotes are always a surprise. I have a very narrow stretch of woods behind my house and they have been seen in the neighborhood in the past. But I certainly haven't heard one howling like this. I guess it's the full moon!

Sounded pretty much like this:

http://www.naturesongs.com/coyote1.wav

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have them around here too and hear them quite a bit. I actually saw a couple of them up the road from our house the other night when I was taking the dogs out before bed. They have never bothered us, but they occasionally get into people's trash cans.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Where I live now by the beach, coyotes aren't really an issue... we don't even have squirrels or any other kind of wildlife around here except birds LOL

Where I grew up though, we had coyotes all the time. I'd be walking my dog in the evenings and they'd be walking thru the streets... probably looking for trash, people's pets :( just any food they could find. They'd stop and stare us down as we walked by. Never got close to us though. They were always real skittish.

We used to hear them howl all the time! It actually is pretty neat :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I live in the middle of the City, about a mile from a city lake and "urban wildlife preserve" (as designated by the Feds and I'm not exactly sure what that means). Coyotes are a regular appearance here, sometimes in the middle of the day. I'm always impressed when I encounter or hear them, though if I'm with the dogs my heart beats a little faster. One morning my DH and I were riding bikes around the lake, near a forested area where there are coyote dens. An ambulance came by with sirens blaring and we were treated to a loud ear piercing collective howl session--very impressive! I didn't realize just how many coyotes called that area home.

I only wish people who own cats and small dogs would realize the danger their animals are in when they are left outside. Every year someone's cat goes missing in the neighborhood despite the routine coyote warnings the City puts out.

A couple of weeks ago the local news had this alert for people in a suburb just north of Dallas:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Allen-Coyote-Alert-79950892.html
This feature was interesting because the coyotes were along a pedestrian walking trail in the middle of the day with people walking right by them! Sadly, the station reported the story after a small dog was snatched up in someone's front yard with the owner right there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last night's news had a family on the Cape who's small dog got out of the house for seconds & was chewing in half by a coyote. I have them around here & would do as the weeping owner suggested....shoot them. Just think if it had been a child??

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would alert animal control if it;s not the norm. It's either looking for food - small pets - and or some lost or could be sick.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I thought I had a coyote in my back yard and hearing it howl for months and months. It was the loudest howl I've ever heard in my life and the howl would actually vibrate the windows.

I finally saw the animal come to the house and it ended up being a grey wolf. After about 6 months the animal was gone. I don't know if it was shot or if it had moved on.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Their was a pack of what I assume were coyotes making the strangest noise in the field to the side of my house. It was a cross between howling and yelping..perhaps from older pups.......havent found that sound online yet but it was very very weird.

I haven't seen coyotes, but I know they are there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In our neighborhood we recently had a large coyote move in (or at least he recently started making his presence known). Several people have commented that he is the largest coyote they have ever seen--it looks almost like a small GSD. In the past two moths, various neigbors have found half-eaten deer, rabbit and squirrel carcasses in their yards. Fortunately, the coyote has not bothered/challenged any people or dogs yet.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
It was a cross between howling and yelping..perhaps from older pups.......havent found that sound online yet but it was very very weird.
If it sounded like a cross between howling and the yelping... maybe even more on the yelping side, they were most likely chasing something........ a rabbit, deer, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts