Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, when I came home from work, I found the little vent filter strip of material (that is supposed to be in the kitchen floor heating vent) lying on the living room floor.
Obviously, Brooks pulled it out, but how? It is very unaccessible. In order to replace the filter, you must pull the metal vent out, then rotate the wheel to permit access to the area where the filter goes. (The vent was still in place and not damaged).
So, I decided just to replace the vent filter strip. When I pulled the vent out from the floor, I saw the heating vent was completely filled with shredded ping fiberglass insulation!
So, a rodent must have shredded the insulation to make a bed out of the insulation in the heating vent.
I am guessing Brooks heard or smelled the rodent at work and maybe the rodent shoved the piece of vent filter up (so Brooks could grab hold of it?)
There was no rodent poop (or babies thankfully) in the mass of shredded insulation. But, how did the rodent get inside that whole underfloor heating vent anyway?
And how many are under my house?
Very weird.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yikes. Though I have had a couple of mice get into the house during the colder months. And that's with 4 dogs and 5 cats living here (I don't have that many anymore, I've lost a couple to old age).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Mice can do incredible things with their bodies, which is why they show up in such bizarre places.

I'd check your kitchen for rodent droppings to make sure they're not mixing in with your foodstuffs!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was surprised that there were no rodent droppings in with the shredded insulation. But it had to have been a rodent that did that. On the other hand, maybe rodents are like dogs--they don't like to poop where they sleep?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
My cats remove those little strips just for fun.
If there is/was a rodent in there that would make it just so much more fun!:doh:

There might be a hole in your ductwork.:uhoh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts