Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,483 Posts
Eric, yes it is a manual given to me by Connie. The technique is called Drop and Rollover. I'll attach a pic of manual.
Hmm, must be new or maybe given to new owners. Connie knows me and knows I can handle and train even the more stubborn pups. Maybe she felt I didn't need it? My first golden with her back in 2005 and this one I have now I never seen that from her.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hmm, must be new or maybe given to new owners. Connie knows me and knows I can handle and train even the more stubborn pups. Maybe she felt I didn't need it? My first golden with her back in 2005 and this one I have now I never seen that from her.
I am rethinking using this technique bc I certainly don't want to create aggression. I reached out to my cobreeder and explained what was going on and this technique. I will plan to stick with correcting and redirecting which is what we have been doing as well and stop doing this technique in the manual. We put her in crate too when she gets out of control. Thanks.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Coco updates. Still struggling with the biting. We are correcting and redirecting with not much improvement. I think it is just a matter of time before this stops. I give her a bone often to help ease her teething which seems to help and she then isn't biting so much. I discovered No Hide bones from our health food pet store which she loves. The potty accidents are happening less often. Coco does not like to walk away from the house but will walk fine back home. So we end up carrying her for the first part of the walk. This concerns me bc I don't want to reinforce this behavior but I am not sure what else to do to give her exercise as we don't have a fenced yard. Any ideas on this would be great on how to get her to go for walks. She has about doubled her weight in the 4 weeks that we have had her. She's quite the stinker but is a real love bug too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coco is adorable. It really does get better with time. Our Teddy was the worst biter for his first month or so. My last 3 dogs have been Rottweilers, this is my first Golden Retriever and I will say with no hesitation that Teddy took a lot of work and patience in his first two months with us. My rotties were way easier to handle as puppies. He’s 5 1/2 months old now and he knows he’s not supposed to bite and verbal correction is enough. The worst part is our female rottie is the most passive thing in the planet and she wouldn’t help us out in correcting his behavior like you’d expect her too, we had to do it all. Had to teach him that both food bowls were not his, that he can’t bite his big sister, that he can’t just take her toys from her while they are in her mouth! His nickname is terrible ted, but he really is so sweet and loving, he’s just naughty as heck. Hang in there, it will get better. Just gotta stay the course with correction and redirection.

Terrible teddy as a puff ball

Attachments

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Coco is adorable. It really does get better with time. Our Teddy was the worst biter for his first month or so. My last 3 dogs have been Rottweilers, this is my first Golden Retriever and I will say with no hesitation that Teddy took a lot of work and patience in his first two months with us. My rotties were way easier to handle as puppies. He’s 5 1/2 months old now and he knows he’s not supposed to bite and verbal correction is enough. The worst part is our female rottie is the most passive thing in the planet and she wouldn’t help us out in correcting his behavior like you’d expect her too, we had to do it all. Had to teach him that both food bowls were not his, that he can’t bite his big sister, that he can’t just take her toys from her while they are in her mouth! His nickname is terrible ted, but he really is so sweet and loving, he’s just naughty as heck. Hang in there, it will get better. Just gotta stay the course with correction and redirection.

Terrible teddy as a puff ball
Thanks! Your pup is adorable. I do keep reminding myself that the biting will pass. It just is so frustrating that you can't walk into a room without getting attacked. And When I play with her, she bites me. And I don't want to wish her puppyhood away bc I know I will miss her being a puppy as the time just flies by. I have also looked for challenging games to play with her. I'm trying to teach her hide and seek. Any ideas for games to play? Thanks for the words of encouragement.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Question for the group. Coco has hiccups frequently. I assume bc she eats fast. I am looking to get a slow feeder bowl, preferable one that is elevated or can be placed in an elevated feeder to slow her down. Is this normal? Does anyone here use a slow feeder , if so which one do you like? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Teddy always has hiccups. The wife puts a ball in his food bowl to help slow down his attempt to inhale his entire bowl of food. I wouldn’t be too concerned, pretty normal for puppies to have hiccups.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Coco updates. Potty training is going great with no accidents anymore. She has learned basic commands and following them well. SHe is now 12 weeks old. She has gone on field trips to Home Depot where she is the star of the store. Everyone stopped to pet her, take pics of her with their kids, etc. Goes to the beach regularly with her daddy, parks. Its been hard to socialize her with many dogs bc there aren't a lot to choose from in my neighborhood that would be a good match. My neighbor has a very hyper boxer and I worry if he would hurt her by accident and my friend's dogs are 12 and may not be up for a hyper puppy. She plays very well with my mom's daschund but other than her, hasn't played much with other dogs. And I suspect this is part of the reason why she is so bitey with me bc she needs someone to wrestle with. I have been walking away and separating from her without responding when she gets crazy. I section her off in the kitchen. It somewhat works, a little. I am trying to get in touch with a trainer to come into my house for 1 to 2 lessons while we wait for puppy class to start in early July. I worry that starting classes at 4 1/2 months is kind of late. But it's not like we aren't' already training her bc we do work on training ourselves. Maybe the personal trainer to my house isn't necessary bc the biting is typical with golden puppies. Anyone have any ideas for puppy socialization? I don't want to take her to a dog park bc she is still in process of vaccines and I don't want to give her the bortedella vaccine just for a dog park. I wish there were "safe" meet up groups even for a small fee.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Coco update. Her land shark phase is slowing down, thankfully. I discovered by accident that making a yelp noise in a loud high pitched voice when she bites me stops her. I was playing with her and cuddling her on the floor a few days ago and she bit me and I yelped and much to my surprise, she stopped, walked away and returned to kiss me! I was amazed. I yelped, covered my face and stopped moving. I think she actually gets it that it hurts. Thanks to everyone here with suggestions. Will keep posting about my little stinker. She's growing up fast. Way too fast. I love her puppyhood minus the shark attacks :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
She's a cutie. I think the yelp is how puppies let each other know a bite was too hard. I was so happy to see those needle teeth fell out of Rukie's mouth. Enjoy the puppy days.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,483 Posts
Haha I tried the yelping and the first couple times, Maggie looked at like WTH? But by the second day she would go harder thinking it was play time. I had to current the loop under the k9 tooth and add more Anna more pressure until I could tell it want a good feeling. Biting stored after about 3 days off this for Maggie.

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I did the yelp early on and she thought I was playing too. It is only recently that she is FINALLY getting it. She also likes to take and eat things that aren't food. I made a frozen sock pacifier and she ate a small part of it when it defrosted. She has been passing it in her stool for past 4 days. I will be calling my vet Monday but I think she is ok bc it is coming out. Was a worry for sure. She will try to eat anything from paper, to garbage, to the cap on my patio swing today. She is quite the stinker. Callie did not eat anything but food. Puppyhood...........

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Puppy update. Coco is doing great now with potty training for past few weeks. Is incredibly smart, responds very well to training and has been easy teaching her basic commands. Is great in her crate. Responding to leave it but still wants to dash for dropped food or paper towel so we really need to work on that. But readily drops things from her mouth on walks so isnt trying to eat pebbles anymore. We have her second visit with private trainer coming today. She was impressed with her calmness , eye contact, and allowing her to pet her all over in her first visit. Will be starting puppy classes in July although I'm not sure we really need them at this point. But will still do bc I think will be good for her to be in a class with other dogs esp since I want her to train for therapy. Ive been taking her on field trips. Went to Hobby Lobby this week. I'm impressed by how many stores allow dogs. Heres some recent pics.

Attachments

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
More pics. Last vet visit 1 week ago she weighed in at 19.3 lbs. Lean but big feet. Hoping she'll be petite like her mom.

Attachments

·
Debbie624
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Coco update. Heres some recent pics. Took her to Hobby Lobby for a fieldtrip. She kept picking up stuff from the floor so had to place her in the shopping cart. She loves rides in the car and exploring new places. Training is going well at puppy school. Is very calm there. Loves the people and the dogs. She is doing a bit better with grabbing things but she somehow got a sock and threw it up. We have her under lock and key and constantly supervising her and we crate her when shes alone. It scares me that she somehow got a sock. Hoping this will phase out and she grows up. Other than this , shes a great girl. Very very affectionate. Sassy at times. But responds well to training. I'm looking for puzzle type toys to challenge her and keep her busy. Would love some ideas....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,456 Posts
Coco's so cute, she's going to be a pretty girl.
Sounds like she's doing great with the exception of the sock........ amazing how they can find things they shouldn't have.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts