Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even think I can count the anount of vet visits I have made in the last two months. Starting in September I was doctoring a very sick cat that I ended having to put to sleep about 3 weeks ago. I had been to the vet numerous times trying to find something I could do for him. He probably would have needed surgery, but was not a good candidate because he had bad asthma.

In early October I adopted a kitten from a coworkers neighbor who found a stray mama and babies. I just finished her routine shots last week and she is scheduled to be spayed in January.

Duke has had allergies and skin problems since he was a puppy. His alergies are seasonal so it seems there isn't much I can do but treat them when it happens. A little over a week ago he started itching again. So I started giving him the usual Benadryl which seemed to help. He had no redness or flakey spots like he usually gets. On Saturday I noticed that his belly was red and it looked like he was getting a skin infection so I planned on calling the vet today. When I got home from work today he had chewed one side of his rear end raw so it was off to the vet this afternoon. He is on a different antihistamine and an antibiotic. I am avoiding steroids if I can because he became aggressive on the last round.

Hopefully Duke will clear up easily and I can take a break from the vet for a while. I still have two pets that haven't needed a visit (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Oh boy, I hear ya. I think there was a time my hubby thought me and the Vet had something going on... then hubby retired and started going with me to all the Vet visits LOL.

I just said today.. I would love to go 6 months without a Vet visit, but I know it isn't going to happen.

I hope things start going better for you and all your animals.

Julie

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I have felt the same way! Thing is, my vet is really cute and I have a small crush on him! I feel like he was a baby when I started seeing him (with my animals!) 15 years ago. He's aged well. ;)

I hope Duke gets to feeling better. What is he taking? I just got a foster with horrible allergies. He has some bald patches on his rear, flakey skin and just looks awful. He's taking Hydroxyzine, Cephalexen, Prednisone, soloxine for thyroid, fish oil and has ear drops. Poor guy. :( But he's a dream! Lovely dog!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope Duke gets to feeling better. What is he taking? I just got a foster with horrible allergies. He has some bald patches on his rear, flakey skin and just looks awful. He's taking Hyroxyzine, Cephalexen, Predisone, soloxine for thyroid, fish oil and has ear drops. Poor guy. :( But he's a dream! Lovely dog!
Duke has been on soloxine for years and has his thyroid levels tested regularly. He is now also taking cephalexan and chlorpheniramine maleate.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
lol! I'm working at a vet clinic as I attempt to get into vet school. Sometimes my eyes bulge out of my head when I look at client accounts. When our computer system pulls up your account, we can see your yearly spending. We have a few clients such as yourself that have just had a bad year with illness, infection, bad luck. Luckily we don't charge for rechecks of the same problem. Good luck with Duke!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I hope Duke is feeling better soon, as well. Keep us up to date.

I keep asking my vet how the "Laura" wing is coming! I was told never to totally pay off my bill, cuz when you do, something always happens. So the last time I paid all but .01. On my next statement, they charged me interest on a penny! Of course we laughed about it and they reversed the charge, but I paid the bill off. Guess what?? Yep, I got a new balance (Trip's little unknown ailment a couple months ago).

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Gosh my Bo sounds a lot like your Duke and your life sounds like mine. My vet is practically on speed dial, LOL. Bo is also hypothyroid and on Soloxine and also has seasonal and food allergies and I too crack out the benadryl when it acts up. I don't like the steroids either - Bo doesn't get aggressive but he has a hard time sleeping through the night because he is so thirsty and needs to pee so much. Also I just finished breast cancer treatment earlier this year and the steroids made me feel worse than the chemo drugs so I'm paranoid about them now. I just hate dumping all those steroids in his system.

Bayley is digustingly healthy at least. Tommy the cat has had his share of issues though.

The nice thing though is my vet knows when I call after hours it's for real. When Bayley cut her lip open on Memorial Day, he came right in and stitched her up.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I dont even have to say who I am when calling, my vets girls know me by first name. When Beau was alive, we were at the vet all the time sometimes twice a week. I hope Duke will be feeling better soon.

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
I feel your pain. Last year my cat spent almost a month in and out of the vet's office and then my sweet pomerainian Cheyenne was there almost every month until I finally had to put her to sleep in October. Then we got Molly in November and went through all the puppy visits. I asked once when they were going to be naming an exam room for me and what kind of car was I paying for? That being said I adore my vet and everyone who works there.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have felt the same way! Thing is, my vet is really cute and I have a small crush on him! I feel like he was a baby when I started seeing him (with my animals!) 15 years ago. He's aged well. ;)

I hope Duke gets to feeling better. What is he taking? I just got a foster with horrible allergies. He has some bald patches on his rear, flakey skin and just looks awful. He's taking Hydroxyzine, Cephalexen, Prednisone, soloxine for thyroid, fish oil and has ear drops. Poor guy. :( But he's a dream! Lovely dog!

there are two vets at the practice I go to. I go to Kelley, the woman, and always have, but just recently a new vet joined, and he's super cute. Sometimes I'll make an appointment on days I know Kelley won't be there. Hey, I should get to know both of them, right? ;)

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
there are two vets at the practice I go to. I go to Kelley, the woman, and always have, but just recently a new vet joined, and he's super cute. Sometimes I'll make an appointment on days I know Kelley won't be there. Hey, I should get to know both of them, right? ;)
Oh most definitely get to know both! LOL!

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
When it rains, it pours! Sorry to hear about all of the vet visits. We've gone through the same thing over the years, and we always joke that the vet must want a vacation home. I hope Duke is feeling better now.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Prior to getting Teddi we only did twice a year vet visits I swear. Even my vet joked we personally put his kids through college. Between Teddi's hip (which the big expense went to another vet) UTI's, soft tissue injuries, more UTI's more xrays....I do not think we have had a month in the past two years we have not gone to the vet most likely with Teddi.

I love my vet clinic. My favorite vet retired :( but he left the clinic in good hands. They really try to help us offset our expenses by charging us cost when they can. They understand, and are wonderful. Our only saving grace has been pet insurance to help defray the costs a bit.

Hopefully :crossfing now we will slow down a bit. Right now Belle has a mystery skin thing on her face. It itches like there is no tomorrow. She gets scabs from scratching. They found a mild bacteria infection and put her on antibiotics that helped for a while but the itching is getting worse again. They tested for a fungal issue, results take a month so we need to probably take her back...again for some anti itch medicine. I noticed last night she is losing hair around one eye too. Sigh... always something.

Ann

1 - 15 of 15 Posts