Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came to this forum because I saw a reference here to the Tigathoes line of Golden Retrievers bred by Evelyn (Torch) Flinn in Greenwich, Connecticut. By a strange series of events I found out how famous she and her dogs really were while I was reading and writing on a forum totally unrelated to dogs.

Someone on that forum had mentioned the word, "Tigathoes" and it was unusual enough to grab my attention. I remembered it from the pedigree of my late Golden Retriever, Britannia (Brit), whom we owned from about 1980 to 1993.

When I came to this site I saw more than one reference to the Tigathoes dogs. They are an important part of the history of the breed. Some of the Tigathoes dogs are considered to be among the "greatest" Goldens of all time. Some breeders claim, now, that their roots are in the Tigathoes lines. The Tigathoes dogs were a darker red than many Goldens are today. They were bred to be able to work. Some of these things may be self-evident, but I have a few tidbits about Torch Flinn that I gleaned from my friend on the other group that I do not think she would mind my sharing here.

One thing which she shared with me was that the name, "Tigathoes" started with "T-I-G-A" because when Torch Flinn's husband, George, first saw the property they were to buy in Greenwich, he said, "This is God's acres".

As I said, my first dog after I was married was a Golden from the Tigathoes line. I welcome pictures, reminiscences, stories, and comments from everyone here!

Someday I hope to find my photos. In the meantime, I have very few photos of Brit, who was a gorgeous girl. This is one of them, and it was taken when she was quite old.

NewfieMom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brit's Pedigree

I am still fairly new here and I am not sure of all the correct protocol, but I believe that this is the correct place to post information about my dog's pedigree so that I can make connections with others who may have dogs related to her. Here is a link to her five generation pedigree:

Britannia of Joie de Paris...Five generation pedigree: Britannia of Joie de Paris

NewfieMom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Links toe Other Threads on this Forum

I thought it might be useful to post links to some past threads here on this forum that dealt with the Tigathoes dogs. I know I looked for them myself, but thought that I could make it easier for someone else who wanted to do some research by making the threads available here, in one place.

General Thread on Tigathoes Dogs and the K9 Database...http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-main-discussion/111523-unbelievable.html

Thread on Golden Retriever Hunt and Field...http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-hunt-field/120599-torch-flinn.html

One page of another thread on pedigrees...http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-pedigree/14898-anyone-wonder-if-we-have-any-1-2-siblings-here-12.html

NewfieMom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Bainin of Caernac figures in many current pedigrees, field, pet, conformation...

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
I grew up with these dogs, and even my first dog all my own had Quar as his grandfather. My dog lived to be nearly 16, and was the golden people dream about when they choose a pup. Those dual purpose dogs were special back then.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bainin of Caernac

Bainin of Caernac figures in many current pedigrees, field, pet, conformation...
It took me a while to realize that he was in my dog's pedigree! I am obviously very new to this! So you are saying that Torch picked him to be the sire to one of her dams. Thank you very much for the information!

NewfieMom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I grew up with these dogs, and even my first dog all my own had Quar as his grandfather. My dog lived to be nearly 16, and was the golden people dream about when they choose a pup. Those dual purpose dogs were special back then.
Ljilly, I couldn't help but notice your link to the Tigathoes dogs. I also noticed the magnificent photo that shows up with each of your postings. It could be the cover of a coffee table book on Golden Retrievers. I would love to hear more about your Tigathoes dogs, or, indeed, any of your dogs! I have been imbibing dog stories in the past few weeks and enjoying this site very much!

NewfieMom

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
Love the photo of your Brit, what a lovely face. Those old photos are a treasure, aren't they. I don't have nearly enough photos of my first dogs.

I absolutely LOVE history and enjoy anything I can find about the great old Goldens and Kennels and their history. I wish there were more books out there. If you haven't read about Rachael Paige Elliot, her autobiography 'From Hoofbeats to Dogsteps: A Life of Listening to and Learning from Animals' is extremely interesting.

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
Ljilly, I couldn't help but notice your link to the Tigathoes dogs. I also noticed the magnificent photo that shows up with each of your postings. It could be the cover of a coffee table book on Golden Retrievers. I would love to hear more about your Tigathoes dogs, or, indeed, any of your dogs! I have been imbibing dog stories in the past few weeks and enjoying this site very much!

NewfieMom
I can get really teary over the memory of my Quar grandson Joplin. this dog companioned me from my late teens all the way into my 30's. I actually negotiated my first job teaching English in prep school not for the salary but so I could bring Joplin to class daily and then to coach Boys Varsity Skiing and Girls Varisty Tennis, lol. That dog came to the ski mountain every winter day. He was practically human. I never went anywhere without him. He saw me through getting engaged to my college boyfriend and years later deciding to break it off, he went to boys camp with me every summer to teach horseback riding- everyone said he lived so long bc he didnt want to leave me. By the end, he was almost snow white he had turned so grey, but he was healthy until his last 4 days on earth. One morning, I woke to smell blood and he had thrown up blood. TippyKayak carried him down the steep staircase in our house, and he went to the New Haven ER. My longtime vet met us there, and he cried some tears too, but it was hemangiosarcoma and no hope. At nearly 16, it was tears of laughter at all the memories as well as tears of sadness at goodbye. I credit Joplin with my addiction to goldens.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fabulous Pedigree!

I just read this thread and I was looking at the five generation pedigree of my second golden and he had some Tigathoe dogs in it:

Five generation pedigree: Rachel's Tribute to Sam
Among many other amazing dogs, some of whom won best in show titles, your boy had Chick ("Tigathoe's Chickasaw") and Chick's incredibly famous offspring "Tigathoe's Funky Farquar" among his ancestors! Other offspring of the Chick in your dog's pedigree include Tigathoe's Kiowa II and Tigathoe's Magic Marker (also with the call name "Chick"), both of whom are famous dogs in their own right!

NewfieMom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts