Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get opinions on the use of an ultrasonic dog repeller as an alternative to shaking a can to deter a puppy (9 weeks old) from constantly eating everything she finds when she is outside. I try and play with her & ALL she does is tear up clumps of sod, eat dirt, sticks, grass, weeds, pebbles. It makes it impossible to even play with her let alone teach her anything. so...back inside we go!
I was thinking a quick short burst of sound each time might help deter her & hopefully she will catch on, but, I'd NEVER do it if I thought I could be doing any harm.

·
Bear & Lyra
109 Posts
You need to be careful, and I think you already are by posting this as a question. If you're too heavy handed with a deterrent when you have a young puppy you can create fear/anxiety related problems. Shaking a can of coins is what I've heard of people doing and for some this has been successful in interrupting unwanted behaviour.

It seems to me that this is totally normal retriever puppy behaviour - both mine did this too and still do it now, but to a lesser degree. Your pup is only 9 weeks old so absolutely everything is interesting and they explore with their mouths. I don't know if others would agree, but I decided to pick my battles carefully and just stop mine from eating something that would cause them harm, and try my best to distract them away from doing things that I found annoying, rather than harmful eg. tearing up grass. I often took my puppy out on a lead when going to the garden frequently during the early days of house-training and then practiced the beginnings of walking on a lead. By the way, tearing up grass and digging is a retriever speciality! Some people create a special area where they allow their dogs to dig so they can get it out of their system.

So perhaps for now just do the training you want to indoors where there are less distractions. It's very early days at 9 weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your opinion is much appreciated. & I am already reconsidering the ultrasonic deterrent as it is likely too harsh at such a tender age. Seems I will have to practice being patient as she learns to practice self control. We will both benefit. I'm realizing that that is what being a pet owner is all about.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Bear & Lyra
109 Posts
I have 2 retrievers - one is 3 years old and the other 6 months. I'm still having to find patience with the mischief that they both can get up to! But that's also the joy of them as they truly seem to know how to live in the moment and find fun in the smallest things.

With a puppy the most helpful thing that I learnt was to think to myself "baby brain, baby brain" whenever she was doing things that I didn't want her to do. And not to expect too much of her when it was clear that the baby brain was off-line and not listening at all to me!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have loads of good times as well as the frustrating ones. :wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts