Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thankful to report that Maggie Mae is back to normal! She went back to the vet the next day because of vomiting, but it was do to the meds. She's finishing up her antibiotics this week.

My new problem...we came home today from lunch to find Marlowe's eyes both swollen shut. I gave him Benadryl immediately and called my cousin -a vet- to see if he recommended we take him to the emergency clinic. He said to keep an eye on him and wait until tomorrow morning to visit our local vet as long as the condition doesn't worsen.

We're thinking that whatever is affecting Marlowe is what affected Maggie, and we're lucky to have come on to find only his eyes swollen and not his entire face, as was the case with Maggie.

Any ideas what our pups are allergic to? No new food, no new meds, no human food, no mess from where they've gotten into something, no new cleaners, and they've had limited time outside due to rain.
:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both sleep with us! My cousin asked the same thing, and I told him that where we are, they are. I am extremely allergic to bug and spider bites, so I am mindful of our surroundings. We do plan to have the exterminator visit next week just in case.

We've been at home with them all day for three days now, so it's particularly odd that we came home to find him like this -as was the case with Maggie. It's so frustrating! I hate seeing my babies sick, especially when I don't know what caused it.

Please keep the comments coming!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Could it be some kind of virus, like a virulent conjunctivitis of some kind?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been searching for any reference to swelling due to a virus and haven't found much. Swelling can be a secondary symptom of illnesses that are covered by their vaccinations. I'll keep searching, and thanks for the comments!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Do you have poisonous frogs outside?

I really have no idea, I'm just reaching. I'm googling too. Most everything I'm reading has to do with bug bites and allergies, but I find it strange that both your dogs would be allergic to the same thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A photo of Marlowe's swollen eyes is attached below. It's no where near as swollen as Maggie's, so hopefully we gave him Benadryl before it got worse.

Attachments

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
WOW! I have no ideas. Selka's eye swelled shut when he was stung by a bee but this is so weird it's both of them!!!
Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! Hope your vet can figure it out! Poor babies!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Poor baby. That's really frightening. I would google and find an exterminator that uses non toxic ( to pets and humans) material. It is possible. I am very mindful of chemicals in and around my house anymore. If it were me, I'd stay with him until you can get him in to the vet in the morning..... I'd want to make sure that the swelling doesn't continue/come back and cause any respiratory distress. Wish I had more to offer you... many good thoughts coming your way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have poisonous frogs outside?

I really have no idea, I'm just reaching. I'm googling too. Most everything I'm reading has to do with bug bites and allergies, but I find it strange that both your dogs would be allergic to the same thing.
I know, same here. I've considered some sort of poison around the house and cannot think of anything...and nothing new has been introduced into the environment. We're even careful with typical floor cleaning agents simply because you never know what they'll be sensitive too. I'm at a loss.

With both of them being affected, we considered a "nest" of bugs/spiders/etc, but a check of all of the corners and dark places led to nothing. We'll have the exterminator pay a visit just in case...it would make sense that bugs would make their way inside as the southern climate cools down for the winter.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Oh, Poor pup- that is some serious swelling. It is so weird for both dogs to react, but days apart.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Youre in Georgia? My mom grew up there, and just said eye swelling can be from a mild case of blasto? (Blastomycosis)-Especially bc you wrote that it's been raining.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Youre in Georgia? My mom grew up there, and just said eye swelling can be from a mild case of blasto? (Blastomycosis)-Especially bc you wrote that it's been raining.
Northwest GA. Wow, never heard of that... We don't have sandy soil (as the link above referenced), but it is definitely something to consider. I'll be sure to discuss it with our vet...thank you!

Marlowe's swelling hasn't gone down, but it is stable. Maggie's face was swollen overnight even after the shot from the vet, so I guess this is to be expected. There are no other obvious symptoms aside from the swelling and itchiness...in fact, he was still romping about with Maggie until the sedation from the Benadryl kicked in.

I'll keep everyone posted and let you know what the vet says in the morning. If you have any other ideas as to the cause, please keep them coming!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Tailer got stung by multiple bees this summer & I gave him Benydril at the Vet's dose of 75 mg for he's 70 # weight. Repeat for the day. I was afraid of Anaphylactic Shock, but my Vet said dogs don't react that way (very rarely do anyway).

I wonder what it causing your puppies to swell up? Good Luck...extra smooches from Tailer n Me, K?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
OH poor pups, I think I would call around to all exterminators and find someone to come out as soon as possible. It looks like a bite from something and it might be hard to see from your level. Maybe if you get down on your hands and knees you might be able to spot something. Good luck and hope the benedryl gets the swelling down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, folks, read this post from another thread:
jnmarr

Professional Member

Recall 10-20-08 on Raw hide chips.
Got this in my email this morning.. thought I should pass it on..

Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.

The Hartz Mountain Corporation Voluntarily Recalls One Specific Lot of Nationwide Chicken-Basted Rawhide Chips Because of Possible Health Risk
John Mullane
(914) 712 9150

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- October 20, 2008 -- The Hartz Mountain Corporation, Secaucus, NJ is voluntarily recalling one specific lot of Hartz Chicken-Basted Rawhide Chips due to concerns that one or more bags within the lot are potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Hartz is fully cooperating with the US Food and Drug Administration in this voluntary recall.

Salmonella can cause serious infections in dogs, and, if there is cross-contamination caused by handling of the rawhide chips, in people as well, especially children, the aged, and people with compromised immune systems. Healthy people potentially infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. On rare occasions, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Animals can be carriers with no visible symptoms and can potentially infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

The product involved is 4,850 - 2 pound plastic bags of Hartz Chicken-Basted Rawhide Chips, lot code JC23282, UPC number 3270096463 which were distributed to a national retail customer. While the normal testing that Hartz conducts through an independent outside laboratory did not detect the presence of Salmonella in any Hartz rawhide products, sample testing conducted by another laboratory did indicate the presence of the bacteria in a sample bag of the Chicken-Basted Rawhide Chips. Hartz is aggressively investigating the difference in test results and the potential source of the problem.

Although Hartz has not received any reports of animals or humans becoming ill as a result of coming into contact with this product, Hartz is taking immediate steps to remove the product from all retail stores and distribution centers. Dog owners who purchased this product should check the lot code on their bag, and, if the code is not visible, or if the bag has lot code JC23282 imprinted thereon, they should immediately discontinue use of the product and discard it in a proper manner.

Consumers can contact Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 with any questions they may have and to obtain reimbursement for purchased product.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/hartz10_08.html

My dogs chew these regularly...think this could be it??? Geez, I wonder what the vet will think. Anyone familiar with salmonella effects on dogs? Vomiting and and face swelling are food allergy symptoms...ideas???

I should note that Marlowe began vomiting a few hours ago...he's vomited three times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts