Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to recording a training session with 16 commands.

At 9 weeks old, he was able to do basic commands but as a few people noted, I kept repeating the command. We've been working on just saying the command once. He can sit with just a verbal cue or just a signal, but he wasn't enthusiastic enough to do for the camera so I used both. He can also lie down from a standing position with just a verbal cue which is great because before I had to really lure him down!
He's now clearly a pro at leave it.

My new favourite is "go to your crate". Props to Anele and everyone else for your advice on getting a puppy to like his crate. He doesn't really LIKE it, but he knows going in there gets him treats! He goes in there randomly throughout the day and looks at me with expecting eyes, and every time he started going in I'd say "good crate" and give a treat. Just 2 days ago I tried getting him to go in his crate with a verbal cue and pointed to it. He can now do it without the point and from a short distance. If I'm in the kitchen and pull out a Kong from the freezer, he'll start heading towards the crate. Ha! Maybe in the future he'll be able to do it from a different room. For now, I'm really happy he can go to his crate on command. A few weeks ago I was thinking about how in the world I was gonna pick him up and put him in now that he's so big.

Sunny and I say thank you everyone for all your help!!!

(If you watch the video, thank you, and sorry for my overly-enthusiastic and high-pitched praise voice. I swear I'm twice the age I sound.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9RZ8Aa1JY0

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Sunny is such a smart boy! and you have done a really nice job! My favorite was the footsie shake!
Loved the whole video!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your encouraging words!

Marcus, I use boring kibble and plain boiled chicken which he loves. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts