Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my grandson was born, Watson got to know The Baby. He was curious but not very interested. Alex just laid there, a mewling little thing that smelled of milk and lotion and diapers. Not very impressive for a human. Watson would give him a quick sniff hello when he visited, but dance and wiggle uncontrollably for my daughter. Babies can’t give pets and hugs. He didn’t take the baby’s toys or want his food. He wasn’t jealous of the attention. It was just a Baby. Watson walked carefully around him, and pretty much ignored him for grownup butt-rubs and playtime.

Watson tolerated the Boy laying on him and tugging his ears, touching his eyes and nose. He was just curious about this huge yellow animal. Watson’s patient looks of “do I really have to do this?” was rewarded with “what a good dog, such a good dog!” Special treats were given in the kitchen in private.

Watson had learned ‘Zen Dog’ as a youngster, which meant he never grabbed food from a human hand. He could take a ridiculously small piece of a potato chip from your fingers with just his front teeth. This training worked great because Alex always had a cookie or a cracker in his hand. And that hand was perfectly level with Watson’s mouth. A little boy on the go, hand waving wildly past his face with that delicious treat, and he never took it from his hand. And Alex would offer it to The Dog, which we told him no, no, no. Watson would turn his head, look anywhere but at the snack. He was so good.

Watson had one thing to teach the Boy, which was firetrucks and police cars were important. Watson and I always ran to the front window because I’m an obsessively nosy neighbor. It was our thing, and now it would be their thing. Sirens and flashing lights brought them both running to the tall front window, where together they watched the exciting scene unfold outside. They would almost knock each other down in their mad dash. Kind of a strange tradition to pass on. Some Grammy’s cut coupons; I was an emergency junkie.

Watson loved sticks…loved to chase them, eat them, and play tug of war. So, when the Boy could finally throw things, sticks were the best. A toddler tossing sticks was great entertainment. It didn’t matter if they were twigs, Watson would still fetch them. And then eat them.

Alex found a nice large stick one day, just right for a big dog to fetch. Watson didn’t wait for him to throw it, just took it and started to walk away. Alex didn’t let go, he just laughed. The boy went down and Watson dragged him slowly across the parking lot. Alex didn’t mind at all. He laid there giggling as he was towed through the dusty gravel. There was no scolding; he didn’t know the boy was still too young for this kind of play.

7 years we had Alex every other weekend. He would put hats on Watson, talk to him, follow him around. When ice cream fell, Watson was there to clean it up. They were buddies. Our home was a happy one…a big yellow dog and a boy visiting twice a month. Two grown step-daughters visiting when they could; they both loved Watson like a hairy step-brother. Trips to CT to see my family when we could. Watson was family. We were family.
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
DSCN0157.JPG
watching.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG
xander and watson.jpg
alex watson firehat.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
Such wonderful memories! Thanks you for sharing. Their relationship was so special and I know your grandson must be heart broken too. My granddaughter and our Kismet are best friends and your post is exactly the type of relationship they have. Goldens were meant to be best friends with children, there is no doubt. Why do they have to have such short lives?!? Seems so unfair. Sending you hugs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The love and blessings our dogs give to our families is unmeasurable! They add so much value to every day. We have raised 3 kids and 7 Goldens over the last 30 years (two of which are still with us). I have six Grandkids now ranging from 23 to 4. Grandkids are our reward for being good parents to our kids. This is truly a priceless gift!

Now four Grandkids, who live close by, share our two last Goldens...the good news is that one of our Golden's is brand new, now at 29 wks. He is a doozy! His name is Shooter or BANG for short...the Grandkids love him. And the process continues, my wife and I are now 70 years old, and decided to have one more Golden family member, before we get to old to properly enjoy the our canine family member. We know that our kids and their kids will continue our legacy with dogs....and that is a gift we gave to our kids and Grankids that have yet to appreciate.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Beautiful, just beautiful.

Reactions: WatsonsMom

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
It is just wonderful to see how our goldens relate to kids. When we brought Oscar into the family he needed to contend with two overly enthusiastic grandkids in the house who did not know appropriate dog etiquette. In spite of his difficult past he exhibited that patience and gentleness that we know and love, putting up with all sorts of indignities with no complaint.

I love that the history continues. Hope there is more to come.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Such wonderful memories! Thanks you for sharing. Their relationship was so special and I know your grandson must be heart broken too. My granddaughter and our Kismet are best friends and your post is exactly the type of relationship they have. Goldens were meant to be best friends with children, there is no doubt. Why do they have to have such short lives?!? Seems so unfair. Sending you hugs.
Goldens were indeed, meant to be best friends with children. Alex likes to look at his cremation box and all the cards, and I hope he remembers all the good times.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just wonderful to see how our goldens relate to kids. When we brought Oscar into the family he needed to contend with two overly enthusiastic grandkids in the house who did not know appropriate dog etiquette. In spite of his difficult past he exhibited that patience and gentleness that we know and love, putting up with all sorts of indignities with no complaint.

I love that the history continues. Hope there is more to come.
It's a golden thing, isn't it? They have a special quality that allows them to understand the situation, and kids just can't help but love on them without reservation. Oskie is a noble dog ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
It's a golden thing, isn't it? They have a special quality that allows them to understand the situation, and kids just can't help but love on them without reservation. Oskie is a noble dog ;)
Weeeeelllll noble is a stretch. He did have a great roll in turkey guamo yesterday, which was far from noble. He had a great time rolling and we had a swell time cleaning. He is patient tho!

Reactions: WatsonsMom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The love and blessings our dogs give to our families is unmeasurable! They add so much value to every day. We have raised 3 kids and 7 Goldens over the last 30 years (two of which are still with us). I have six Grandkids now ranging from 23 to 4. Grandkids are our reward for being good parents to our kids. This is truly a priceless gift!

Now four Grandkids, who live close by, share our two last Goldens...the good news is that one of our Golden's is brand new, now at 29 wks. He is a doozy! His name is Shooter or BANG for short...the Grandkids love him. And the process continues, my wife and I are now 70 years old, and decided to have one more Golden family member, before we get to old to properly enjoy the our canine family member. We know that our kids and their kids will continue our legacy with dogs....and that is a gift we gave to our kids and Grankids that have yet to appreciate.
You two are very special people indeed! All those kids and dogs in your lives, so many many wonderful memories. I can see why you had to have one more Golden. And children who grow up with Goldens are better people :) Ha, I guess that would be Growing Up Golden!

Alex was with us 3 times a week for April and May due to the virus (I was home schooling) and they got to bond again. Different this time, the boy is almost 10, and he knew Watson was old now. Walks were slow, and throwing things and running around wasn't the same. Alex would help get him up with his harness, and was careful to not rush by him. He was gentle. Alex understood that he would die one day soon, and yet he wasn't sad when we told him of his passing. We had prepared him for Watson's passing and he accepted it. Kids are resilient. Now he goes to the mantle to touch his cremation box and look at the cards, in a quiet curious way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weeeeelllll noble is a stretch. He did have a great roll in turkey guamo yesterday, which was far from noble. He had a great time rolling and we had a swell time cleaning. He is patient tho!
All Goldens are noble, just not all the time lol. I bet he was very proud of his stinkiness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts