Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bing Crosby is a puppy from our last litter, born the day after christmas 2008 he was one of 8 puppies named after crooners. He was the largest puppy when we got him home but at about 9 days we noticed that he was lagging and not latching on to nurse... This was his mothers second litter and we had no issues in the first litter, this was his fathers first litter. (The pedigree is on K9data Milbrose Wild Winter)

I took little itty bitty wee Bing Crosby to the vet who didn't expect him to survive but with three days of subq fluids and tube feedings every three hours he rebounded and was fine. He was never a pushy puppy but we didn't worry to much about that as they all have their own personalities. I of course adored him and hated to see him go, but he was not my show puppy in the litter (and we really wanted a girl). We had a long waiting list for puppies and placed him with a family who had two young children and another dog. The woman drove 5 hours to see the puppies every weekend and I had gotten to know her quite well. She was willing to do everything we asked from her and while I had concerns about hte young children she had a full time nanny and had the time to care for a puppy.

When Bing went home I started to hear that he was a picky eater, that he barked, that he was not crate trained... that he was waking up the kids... and that she was going to have to get rid of her nanny.... I was supportive and gave her suggestions about how to get him crate trained etc. so Bings crate was moved to the third floor of their house and he apparently was left there.... (not exactly what I meant) .... within a month and a half of his leaving here I heard that he was barking and difficult to train... and then we went to .... he is lethargic and not eating and not right... he wasn't acting right and she felt that he needed to go to the vet... the vet diagnosed a "bug" and that was it... within two weeks again I was hearing that he wasn't playing and was a picky eater etc. She brought him to their local Emergency clinic where he was diagnosed with a extra hepatic liver shunt. Bing was brought for an ultrasound the next day and the ultrasound tech also said it was an extra hepatic shunt. We offered to return her money to her and let her keep her puppy as well as pay for his expenses. she was told he likely wouldn't live a year.

She returned him to us the next day and we refunded all of her money... and at 4 mos of age he was 17 lbs at the vet that afternoon....he was malnourished and dehydrated, he did not know his name or basic commands and not even close to housebroken... they clearly were not taking care of him. I don't want to think about what would have happened had he stayed there.... It goes to show that no matter how you screen and check references... people can still fool you...

Four days later at the holistic vet he was 24 lbs.... and 7 days after that at his recheck with the holistic vet he was 31 lbs. amazing what being taken care of will do.

Bing is now a year old (past his initial life expectancy).... I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE HIM.... I saved him once and we are working on saving him again. I just adore him.... He does not have a shunt.... he has a severely deformed liver the likes of which the world reknowned researcher we are bringing him to has never seen. He has gone to the University of Pennsylvania to meet with this researcher and we are lucky that he is on the east coast and not the west. The words that he used were that Bing has the most bizarre liver he has ever seen. I have read a good deal of research regarding liver defects and this appears to be just that... a bizarre defect... I have talked to everyone I could regarding his pedigree and there has not been anything like this seen before in his lines for as far back as we could go.... just a freak thing! and while there doesn't seem to be a genetic base... you can bet your booty we are going to track it...

When we got him back my husband said "no heroics, we are just going to keep him comfortable for as long as he has" that was then.... this is now.... to date bing has had an MRI, Endoscopy, CT Scan, and the end of this month he will go and have an Interventional radiology procedure. I can't even begin to tell you what we have spent.... so much for no heroics... my husband adores him...

The researcher does not know what will happen... he does not believe that we can make Bing worse... but he is unsure that we will make him better. However, if we can give him even slightly more liver function than he currently has we will give him the opportunity for a longer life. If it doesn't work we don't know how long he has... no one has ever seen a liver like his and there is no available research.... all we can do is hope for the best.... and make a difficult decision when the time comes. The reality is that even with the procedure he probably won't live a normal length life (but you never know anyway).

So on January 27, a coil will be inserted through bings jugular vein... into his liver... in hopes of creating the back pressure needed to force blood into his liver....

I am scared to death.... I adore him... he is a dope... his meds make him hard to house break and he is not the brightest star in the night sky... but I love him....

and if you managed to get through all of this... please do send your prayers and good thoughts to bing.... he has a facebook page where I put his updates its under his name Bing - Milbrose Wild Winter (he has more friends than I do)

My husband and I work very hard to do right by the dogs... and they are our children as we don't have human kids ....
we have english type dogs and work hard at being responsible and doing what is right... We are lucky that we are in the financial position to be able to offer Bing the medical care that he needs...

Now I just hope it works because I really don't want to lose him....

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Bing is a beautiful boy and so happy that you were able to get him back and are in a position to get him the care that he needs. Prayers being sent that you have a long time together as he sounds really special.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
What a doll baby Bing is. I'm so sorry that you and he are going through this rough time. You're doing a great job getting him the best care possible. You're giving him a new lease on life, just look at that smile on his face!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
What a story... Poor Bing! He is very lucky to have such a wonderful, loving family to care for him like he deserves! His photos are so sweet, please give him a big hug for me and keep us updated on the procedure. Sending lots of good wishes your way!

·
Registered
318 Posts
What a fine little boy you have!!! He's so lucky to have an extra special mom and dad like you!!! My dogs and I will be sending good luck puppy vibes to Bing on the 27th!!! Go Bing!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the kind words.... and the good thoughts for Bingaling.... I am thrilled to have him back... my pocketbook not so much.... but we are his breeder... he is a perfect example of even when you try and do everything right bad things can happen and breeding is not for the faint of heart....we also won't hide his medical issue... we will track it and it is listed on k9data.... I have no tolerance for breeders who say they are trying to better the breed and then hide the medical issues that happen... and they happen to all of us. S*** happens....

He is our puppy... he is our responsibility... and we love him... and we will do everything that we can to insure that he has a happy, normal life for as long as he can

thanks again
Shalva

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Bing looks like a real sweetheart! Going to look for him on FB now . . .

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Bing is so lucky to have you as a "mommy" and i'm sure you are happy to have him. I will be praying hard for Bing to get better.
beth, moose and angel

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Bing is beautiful! I'll be thinking of him the 27th and sending him prayers.

It's a gift to love animals with such compassion and hope. Bing is where he should be with the family that loves him.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Aw, Bing is a lovely looking boy, and has such a sweet expression! I hope that the procedure will be successful and that he will soon be better :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Bing is so sweet looking. Hoping and praying the procedure goes well. Poor guy he deserves the very best, and you are giving it to him!:wavey:

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Bless you for giving him every opportunity available, and thank God you got him back before it was too late.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We will keep you and Bing in our prayers and thoughts especially on the 27th for his surgery. He sounds like a miracle dog and I think good things are in his future. Bing is just gorgeous.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed for a successful surgery for sweet Bing. Is there such a thing as a canine liver transplant?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had many ask me about a liver transplant and apparently that is not an option. I can't tell you why not... I remember being told but don't remember the answer.....
trust me I asked

Shalva

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Bing has such a beautiful expression. He is so lucky to have you to love and care for him. I hope all goes well with the procedure on the 27th. {{hugs}} to you and Bing.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
what an incredible story! prayers, good thoughts, and hugs going out to you and Bing.

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
Isnt he just gorfeous. I love him too now and will be rooting for him all the way. Lots of prayers and good wishes from me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts