Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack is almost 17 weeks and within the last 2 weeks he seems to have started becoming more aware of his surroundings and now barks at things out the window, will growl at things outside before he investigates them and overall is just more growly and barky (if those are words?). None of this is directed at us or people in general, but I'm wondering if this is his second fear stage?

I'm also not sure how to react when he is standing at the window barking. I do want him to bark if there is an intruder (prior to licking him to death, I assume) so I'm not sure how much correction to give at this point. I've tried distracting him with his toys but that only works for a minute and if he still has access to the window/sliding door/etc he'll be back staring out of it and assessing the situation by growling/barking. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Payton kinda does the same thing except her barks and growls are directed to a toy that she can't reach, or fell off the couch and she's still on the couch! :) She also sometimes directs it at us if we are ignoring her. I think it's fairly normal, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Payton kinda does the same thing except her barks and growls are directed to a toy that she can't reach, or fell off the couch and she's still on the couch! :) She also sometimes directs it at us if we are ignoring her. I think it's fairly normal, but that's just my opinion.
Do you correct her at all? I really don't want Jack to think it's appropriate to just sit at the window growling and barking for 20 minutes. That would drive me insane!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Definitely interrupt the barking out the window...!
It will drive you crazy and your windows casing will get damaged from toenails and teeth!
If you can prevent him from looking out windows all the better!
One or two woofs are allowed...coming to you and dancing around is great perhaps even rewarded.....but insane carrying on will land him in time out.
IMHO - it is not a fear stage but a developmental one...he is becoming MUCH more aware of his surroundings..starting to realize there is a big wide world out there.
Before...there was always someone there to watch his back...his dam...you...his litter mates etc...
During this stage...they start to realize that they are independent creatures responsible for keeping track of their surroundings...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
take advantage of his age and get him out of the house...get him out in the world as often as humanly possible...really work on his leash manners and recalls.

This is the age when puppies get lost....up until this point they will follow you around like crazy...now as they feel more and more confident...they start to wander further away and start ignoring recalls...

Adolescence is right around the corner.... :)

Be really, really mindful of behaviors that are seemingly cute and innocent and imagine a potentially wet, muddy, 75 pound dog doing the same thing.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take advantage of his age and get him out of the house...get him out in the world as often as humanly possible...really work on his leash manners and recalls.

This is the age when puppies get lost....up until this point they will follow you around like crazy...now as they feel more and more confident...they start to wander further away and start ignoring recalls...

Adolescence is right around the corner.... :)

Be really, really mindful of behaviors that are seemingly cute and innocent and imagine a potentially wet, muddy, 75 pound dog doing the same thing.
I've noticed the independence coming out....I'll make sure we start working on his leash manners more and more. We just noticed that he seems to be ignoring commands (down, stay) that we previously used to be able to get him to do instantly. He's extremely food motivated, so he still does it prior to eating but that's about the only time he does it.

We're almost done with his puppy shots and are going to enroll in a puppy class after we're done. I think it's time for him to get out more though, like you said. He's been socialized with people and other (safe) dogs quite a bit but never just been out and about because we were so paranoid about diseases when he was smaller.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Toby used to do this, barked at everything...fortunatley he's learned what the word 'NO' means, so when ever we don't want him to bark we'll just say "Toby NO" and he'll stop or he'll understand that what ever it is that he's doing is inappropriate.

I think it just a matter of letting them know when the wrong times are, these are very intelligent dogs they will definatley learn when to and when not to bark believe me. I don't think you should be to worried, plus lol GR puppies always have very extravagent personalities...so what I'm trying to say in conclusion is that he will probably grow out of this barking at everything stage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts