Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about your goldens but my Max is a super strong chewer. He is always destroying toys and goes through many things I would buy him to keep him chew happy.

So here's the thought. I figured that perhaps as a group we could find/expose some good and bad chew or chew treat products. I know that some are much better for them nutritionally but I am looking for something I can give my dog from time to time that he can chew on for a couple of hours at least that will keep him busy and happy.

Today I bought a large busy bone and Pedigree's Jumbone.

Here is my first experiment and results:

Purina Busy Bone Large
Cost nearly 4.00.
Time it took to eat it: 23 minutes.
What I think as a dog owner: Waste of money. Will not buy again.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker is a strong chewer as well. The only thing that lasts are big Nylabones and his Kongs. Haven't tried a bone from the butcher or antlers. Bully sticks aren't bad, but he can chew thru one pretty quickly.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think the raw marrow bones from the supermarket are the best. Get the ones that are 5 or 6 inches long and not the little short ones.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Invest in antlers!! Go to petexpertise.com and order a xxl my hubby cut it in half (it had two long antlers together) and now we have 2 that are about 10" long each! They love them!! I read where it takes months to wear them down, Bear chews awhile then leaves it...then goes back to it later. Hubby about died when I told him what I paid (27 with shipping!) since he has friends who hunt and could probably give them to us....but I know they'll last a long time!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Morgan is a chewer and thinks we buy her toys to destroy them. I have been trying to replenish her toy supply since she only had nylabones left. She has a toy that is three rubber rings joined together sold at Target, a rubber Octopus and a tire rubber bone that have lasted awhile. For just chewing, she also has an antler.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Marrow bones for sure. If we want an uninterrupted dinner I give one to each & they will be busy for houses. Even after the marrow is gone the continue to chew them. Cost =couple bucks. You can also add peanut butter to the inside after te marrow is gone & they think it is a whole new treat.
As said above, 4-5 inches is a good size. American made, all natural.

Not recommended during movies, they can be noisy. LOL

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
I used to get the knuckles from the butcher but I can't/shouldn't give raw to Duke during chemo. So, I found at PetSmart the sterilized bones. They really have nothing in them nor to them except they are bones. He'll chew the ends into small pieces and eat them (I find them in his poo) but once those ends are down about 2", then it's chew happy time forever and ever.

He also likes nyla bones - new nyla bones. He quickly loses interest in the old ones.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
The only things that work in our house are marrow bones and refilled with goodies afterwards and frozen kongs...even then, Lincoln has chewed the tops of off 2 of them.....they say the black ones are stronger so may have to invest in those. Bully sticks only last a few minutes....everything else, forget it. Will have to try to find some antlers .....they may be worth the money.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I tried the Busy Bone to.. It lasted 10 minutes! :doh: The best ones here are the Nylabones! Molly will chew on them for hours! She loves her frozen Kong to but it doesn't last really long anymore. She's a pro at getting all the goodies out! :p: It only takes 10 to 15 minutes now!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Healthy Edibles chew bones for Puppies by Nylabone: BAD diarrhea!

Regular nylabones: don't keep his interest

Stuffed puppy kong: loves it till the stuffing is gone!

Haven't found anything else that will last and that doesn't have an ill effect. Great thread!

Kris

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
In my house, we do raw marrow bones and knuckle bones (both packaged together under the "soup bone" label in the grocery freezer section).. they last a good two or three LONG sessions before they are either worn down to too small pieces or start to look a little questionable and smell weird and I throw them away. They go in the freezer between chew sessions btw.

We also do bully sticks when mama's feeling generous because they cost relatively a lot and only last maybe 40 minutes MAX. But the pups sure do love them.

Those are really the only chewies that last any length of time in my house.

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
I wish you good luck in your search.... thus far the only thing I found that works for Junior is Kong toys.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Our experiences:

Bully sticks - long lasting but too smelly
Hooves - very long lasting, smelly, but not as bad a bullies
Tendons - they love them but they don't last long enough
Antlers - they could care less
Nyla bones - very small interest and for a very short time. Although they do last (especially if they are not being chewed on)
Kongs - they only chew on them if there is something in them (frozen)
Frozen marrow bones - hands down the winner in our house. They chew on them until the marrow is out, maybe 30 minutes and then off and on til the flavor is gone.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Bully Sticks - keeps Hank busy for and hour or so if he really get into it. They aren't gne after that amount of time, he just looses interest. They last several chewing sessions. I buy the 12" premium. The 'Moo' brand ones don't have much odor but some seem to smell more than others.

Kongs - only if they're filled & frozen.

Nyla Bones - I worry about those, Hank never paid much attention to his, then last week I found half of one, guess he dug it out of the toy basket. He ate the other half. I thought they were undestructable!

Antlers - he likes them and they do last.

Raw Bones - I've never given those to Hank, I like those for outdoor use. It's too cold for a lot of outdoor time now that he's old enough for them.

Winner - the bully sticks, I buy them in bulk from K9 Cuisine and always have a stash!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Duffy is 15 weeks old and still has puppy teeth. Is it ok to give him a raw marrow bone? We are desperate for good chews since we're not getting a lot of outdoor time.

Kris

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I never gave bully sticks to Molly. I always thought they were dangerous, like rawhide! Seeing a lot of people here giving them to their pups, maybe I'll buy some!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I tried the busy bone too. What waste of money. Plus on the label it said something like "equivalent to 10% of your dog's weekly caloric intake". No wonder Ranger was hyper after eating it in 20 mins. I don't think the bully sticks are worth the money vs the time it takes Ranger to eat one.

I get the harder opaque nylabones and once they're no longer interesting, I dunk them in a little bit of peanut butter. The peanut butter gets into the little teeth marks and chewed up bits and then Ranger is happy to start chewing and licking on it again.

Frozen kongs are only good for the 30 mins it takes to empty them. I can't seem to stuff them hard enough to last longer!

I'll buy the healthy edible bones in a flavour that ranger isn't too crazy for. If it's bacon/chicken/liver a big one is gone in 20 mins. If it's a banana flavoured one, it will last days. More licking and less chewing since it's not quite as tasty.

I also have a ball that you can stuff kibble into and the kibble has to go through a maze before it falls out. This usually takes Ranger about 30 mins to push around with his nose before the last bit of kibble is gone.

For bones, I give the marrow ones and got one the other day called a "Dinosaur bone". The thing is huge but is so stinky I don't like giving it in winter since it's too cold to open the windows! The marrow ones are great, even after the marrow is all gone Ranger will still chew on it for ages afterwards.

I also give the occasional rawhide only because I KNOW Ranger is a safe enough chewer to eat them. Lots of dogs can't have them and if you're not sure, err on the side of caution but Ranger chews them well and doesn't scarf down big pieces. I always supervise with any bone though, especially the rawhides.

On a semi-related note, I bought a bag of Zuke medium cranberry dental ridges last night. Supposed to clean teeth and freshen breath. For a small bone, they lasted a fairly long time. But man, did they ever make Ranger gassy!! I had to kick him off my bed and out into the living room for the whole night!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts