Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 5 months old, Maggie still inhales her food. I have never seen a dog eat as fast as she does. We mix water with her food so using a slow feeder is really difficult. We used the muffin tin when she was smaller and that worked great. She can't get her nose into it well anymore.
Should we stop mixing in water and just use the slow feeder? Do most puppies learn to slow down? We fed her pieces by hand early on until our vet said we really needed to soften it for digestion with her swollen teething gums.

Thanks,
Jules

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Rukie still eats like a vacuum cleaner. He has the slow feeder and most of the time I just wet it quickly. It's more of a moisten than a soften. I think the plastic slow feeder is making his black nose lighten which I don't like but I don't know how else to feed him unless I hand feed every meal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also told to put some kind of obstacle in the bowl, like a large Kong (empty)?
Cwag - Have you tried this? How old is Rukie?

Thanks,
Jules

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
He's almost two years old. I may try a tennis ball but I think he will knock it out of his bowl. We've done the muffin cups with stuff like balls and kongs covering the food. He's still pretty fast

·
Registered
50 Posts
My pup is about 6 months and will inhale his food, too, if I let him. A slow feeder has helped, and sometimes I put part of his meals in a kong since he the kong forces him to eat more slowly. I have also read that feeding kibble on a sheet pan helps since it's more spread out and they can't swallow mouthfuls at a time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Luna is approaching her 3rd birthday and will inhale her food if allowed. We tried the kong/ball in the food bowl, which she slowed her down a bit until she figured out that she could knock it out. We bought the slow feeder which slows her down a bit but better than a normal bowl.

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Rukie still eats like a vacuum cleaner. He has the slow feeder and most of the time I just wet it quickly. It's more of a moisten than a soften. I think the plastic slow feeder is making his black nose lighten which I don't like but I don't know how else to feed him unless I hand feed every meal.
I found these stainless steel slow feed bowls, and they work well for my dogs.

OP, I think he's old enough you can stop moistening his food.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015G2DU80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again to people for the suggestions. The xtr large Kong in the middle of her bowl is helping quite a bit.

Jules

1 - 11 of 11 Posts