Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Labor Day we picked up our 1/2 Golden, 1/2 Labrador Retriever puppy. Today is his 8 week birthday.

Wow. It's been almost 11 years since I've had a puppy. What a joy he is! He's about the sweetest thing imaginable. Loves to lick faces and nibble ears, and is obsessed with necklaces. I took the whole week off to welcome him home, so here are my initial thoughts and observations.

1. He seems very smart. In his 7th week of life he's already learned sit, speak, and shake. He's working on "down", and "come" is also coming along.
  2. He'd never had a collar before, and spent his first three-four days trying to scratch it off. He kept walking funny because he was constantly wanting to sit and scratch the collar.
  3. He disapproves of leashes. Walking him is interesting. :)
  4. He has not been stepped on yet. See #3 above. There've been several close calls averted only by my nimble catlike reflexes. :)
  5. Coccidia and diarrhea are his only medical problems. He's on Primol for that.
  6. Potty training is going well, but see #5 above. As far as we know, he has yet to pee in the house. I am knocking on wood.
  7. He's learning to be a bit more independent. That's good and bad as we don't have a fenced yard. I fear losing him at night in the darkness.
  8. HAWKS! Several times now, a hawk has circled or gotten close to check him out as a potential meal.
  9. He's not big on water yet, but we've not really exposed him to too much.
  10. Today is his first day at puppy day care. I hope he does well. It's kinda expensive, so we look forward to the day he can be left at home and not locked in his cage.
  11. He sleeps a lot. Bursts of activity and long naps seem to be his forte.
Here's one of his first pictures at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Congrats on your new furbaby!!! he is a real cutie!! I have a big place in my heart for black dogs.

They are all smart, capable and willing! Enjoy your pup! Time flies by so quickly, take the time to 'roll in the grass', and enjoy the journey, they grow up so fast!

All the best to you and Bagheera!
Hope you will share your adventures!

Reactions: Wolfeye

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Welcome home Bagheera! Congratulations on your new addition. Bagheera, you keep those humans on their toes and train them right. :) Adorable pup. Love the picture.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
He is cute :) congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The puppy Bagheera, week two

We made it to week 2! :) Bagheera turns 9 weeks old today. What a simply wonderful joy he is. Has NOT figured out potty training but is making progress towards that goal. He's on new medication for the diarrhea. Methnazone or somesuch. Slight improvement thus far. Other highlights from week 2:

He's learned "no bite" and has limited mastery of it. We need to watch him better around cords.

He's almost too plump to fit through the gate they have at daycare. Almost. :)

Still hates the leash. He wants to go at a slower pace and examine the world. Haven't been able to do much off leash stuff yet but we're working on it.

His nickname is Squirt. His nickname is Beard-biter. His nickname is Yappy. :)

Stay. This word does not mean to him what I think it means.

He's a very low-energy dog. He can zoom around but he gets tired and snoozes a lot. Loves to play with his purple guy toy and even fetches toys on occasion.

I can't walk him anyplace there are people unless I plan extra time. He's a magnet to dog-lovers and gets pets and snugs from everyone he meets.

My life is blessed with him in it.

Here he is shaking dry after a bath.

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bagheera

Bagheera is just ADORABLE. I would never let him out alone, that hawk worries me!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bagheera week 3

Today my puppy is 10! Three weeks have flown by. He's more than I had hoped for. While he did not replace Fenris, my thoughts of Fenris are fewer now, even though his collar hangs just outside our back door. Every time I carry Bagheera out we bump into Fenris' collar and he playfully bats at it. I still miss him, just as much, but he doesn't occupy my every waking moment. Most of my every waking moment nowadays is spent watching the puppy, training the puppy, walking the puppy, playing with the puppy.

Highlights from week 3:

Potty training is going well, as long as we watch him. He apparently ran off 3 times while I wasn't watching him yesterday and pooped in our bedroom. He's almost done with his pills and his diarrhea is gone, so at least there's that positive.

He's not the most confident guy. Still scared of lots of things. A dog in a fenced yard charged at him barking, and puppy was like "Oh no! I'm outta here!" and he hi-tailed it to the end of the leash.

He's discovering he doesn't mind being wet. He visited me in the shower this morning. He's VERY curious about creeks and such, but with floodwaters threatening my home town of Cedar Rapids we haven't gone swimming yet. Maybe soon. He's curious!

He and my son are great play partners. Raucous, loud, silly, with tail awag. I love it.

So smart. Some things are hard, like come, and stay, but he's trying.

He was initially scared of a stuffed money that leered at him over the edge of a table, but that didn't last long.

Pretty much slept like a rock last night after my son wore him out playing yesterday. His ability to hold his potty is quite good, he slept for 6+ hours without asking to go out once.

So, Bagheera is 10 weeks old today. Tomorrow, my son turns 10 years old. Appropriately I made a portrait of the two of them yesterday. They grow up so fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bagheera, 11 weeks old today

Another week has passed and my puppy is growing bigger and stronger every day. He's also been exposed to kennel cough! Ack (as he would say!)! No other symptoms other than the hacking cough. Vet gave him Primor again. Doesn't seem to help much, but I think that's expected. Primor is probably given as a ward against secondary infections.

We stayed at a farm house this past weekend. My son loves chickens so we wanted to treat him to a chicken farm for his 10th birthday. The chickens fascinated Bagheera!

Some other accomplishments:

Potty training continues. He doesn't quite get it yet, but I think he will.

He's up to 12 pounds, doubling his weight in 4 weeks. He's a growing boy!

I need to remind myself often that he's not Fenris. He's 11 weeks old. Keep expectations low!

He's no longer the youngest at his daycare. A black Lab named Daisy was there this morning. They argued about who was cuter. :)

We've had to increase leashed time due to occasional games of catch me if you can. I can still catch him. That won't always be the case.

Still a lil' stinker and we all think he's pretty neat. Here he is examining a chicken.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What a beautiful photo. I have a black lab , golden mix. She just turned 12 and she is a real sweetheart. Love your puppy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a beautiful photo. I have a black lab , golden mix. She just turned 12 and she is a real sweetheart. Love your puppy.
Thank you! Give your sweetie an extra hug today. From me . :) My beloved, departed Lupo was also half Lab and half golden. Smartest dog I ever had. Maybe the best, but Fenris was an awesome dog too.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Your little puppy is so very cute! I love the photo you took of him with your son. He looks like he's thinking -- I could chase that chicken and maybe even catch him!!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I love the photo with the chicken! So cute! No doubt he is wondering if he chases it could he catch it...and what would happen if he did. The chicken, on the other hand is probably thinking, "Go ahead little puppy. Make my day." ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's interesting to note both the puppy and the chicken's reactions. The chickens were somewhat curious, but once they realized he had the shape of a predator, curiosity went by the wayside and they turned, well, chicken. :) Bagheera of course showed no fear, only curiosity and some mild stalking. He gave chase only once, and briefly, as he knew he was on a leash.

This "game" has been played out millions of times over the eons. Predator and prey. Even our domesticated friends know the roles, very well.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It's interesting to note both the puppy and the chicken's reactions. The chickens were somewhat curious, but once they realized he had the shape of a predator, curiosity went by the wayside and they turned, well, chicken. :) Bagheera of course showed no fear, only curiosity and some mild stalking. He gave chase only once, and briefly, as he knew he was on a leash.

This "game" has been played out millions of times over the eons. Predator and prey. Even our domesticated friends know the roles, very well.

Not always:). My Husky/Shepard would watch as my boyfriend's cockatoo would come down from her perch, strut over to the food bowl, grab a piece of kibble and crawl back up her cage. It was hilarious to watch. I believe she got nipped in the nose once and that's all it too kind:).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Bagheera, 12 weeks old today

Another week! Twelve weeks old today. This puppy has been nothing but a blessing in my life. He has accomplished so much in the five weeks he has been with us. Here are some of his accomplishments so far.

No potty accidents all week. He asks to go out, sitting by the door and whining. What a smart little chap!

He's over his KC and feeling his oats. Bit my son on Saturday when he got too wild and was trying to bite his shirt - hit skin. My son forgave and forgot. Puppy was informed that that is not acceptable behavior. Overall, he's not a hard biter and is always doing it in play, but puppy teeth are sharp!

Water play! Yesterday we took a squeaky ball down to a stream. My son and I braved the chilly water and waded in, and puppy followed along! He didn't swim, as he didn't venture into deep enough water, but it was a joy to see him splash about. Unfortunately he found the water a bit too chilly and was shivering a bit, so we headed out of the shade and he dried and warmed up nicely in the October sun.

He loves the kitchen. This is the room of rooms, THE place to be, if there are humans in it! He has been employed as a minor pre-dishwasher when we have puppy-safe meals.

Zoomies. He has them occasionally :)

He has discovered the remains of our tomato patch. He was out there eating them. At least this is something edible - he usually seems to prefer leaves and dirt and sticks. He did also eat a grasshopper yesterday.

He can now get out of the car on his own. He can't get in the car yet, but we'll work on that. Speaking of car, I never realized but you don't need to press the button on the gear shift (automatic) to go from drive to neutral. Ask me how I discovered this. :) Puppy insists on having his head near me, his rear end in the passenger seat, laying across the cup holders. If he gets TOO close to me his body can slide up next to the gear shift and... yep! Driving down the highway and all of a sudden we're slowing WAY down. Took me a couple secs to realize what was happening!

He's discovered Milkbones. He likes them. At first they were too hard for him to chew, now he downs them like a champ. He also tears through a small rawhide chew in about 5 minutes.

That's about it! I'm so happy with this little guy, and proud of him. He's a picture of him doing his first water retrieve, of his red squeaky ball. As you can tell by the picture he's a future dock dogs champion. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts