Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, remember the people who let their puppy go dangerously close to the street and wander around off leash? Well, they came to the party. I mentioned little Petey and she said "He's in big trouble and if he doesn't straighten out he's going back to the shelter".:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Long story short: he 6 months old and getting into everything, chewing furniture, accident in the house, etc. She said he's living in his crate because she can't trust him for even a minute. I guess that's better for him than being in trouble all the time.

I tried to tell her about the teen years and that he would pass thru this stage in a few days or weeks. I tried to minimize it so she'd hang in there. He's an adorable puppy. BUT: he gets no training and he's part terrior and part Chi. If he doesn't get direction, he's IS going to be a handful. And I suspect, from his reaction to them when he's outside, he doesn't have much desire to please; not like a Golden. I'm afraid for the little guy.

He took to icy cold rain and went happily for a walk down the block, he bounded through 4 inches of snow. He's just a real game little trouper!! With a bit of effort, he could be the perfect dog for this active family.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Sounds like a typical puppy to me. Do you know of any good trainers in the area? Perhaps next time you see them you can just say "Hey, I was thinkin' about you and your pup and I know of this great training facility ....... "

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
A terrier is a terrier especially a small one. They can be so stubborn but got to love them. I hope things get better for the little guy. Unfortunately so many people get puppies and dogs really animals in general with no idea what to do or not do with them. Its so sad.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The closest trainer that I could recommend is 30 miles away. I KNOW they won't go for that. I just asked to friend her on FB and sent her a message that if she wanted I could come over and help Petey with some obedience work to get him thru this rough stage. She's already asked if I would help their daughter with her new (Christmas present) sewing machine and learning how to sew.

Where do I start with a terrorist puppy? Focus, attention? The same as with Penny when she was a puppy? Recall?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would say start with the basics. If he knows treats are coming when he displays the behavior you're looking for he'll be more apt to do it. Then you might want to tackle house training and teach them some tips since that could very well be a huge frustration for his owners. Does he have appropriate things to chew? Bully sticks, bones, etc? That might help save their furniture.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Does this pup have a high prey drive or just a lot of wanderlust?
Tucker (the terrier mix puppy we kept of Emily's) has some sort of terrier - looks a lot like Benji. He it rather timid and has a very minimal prey drive and thankfully runs to the house when the other dogs decide something in the back woods needs chased, but he chews anyting thast isn't locked up.

Trouble is a JRT type who has a fairly strong prey drive, but an even stronger wander lust. She needs and will be getting a lot more training than she has. She is one DH picked up a couple of years ago and I resented her because he said she was Copper's replacement and that was 10 months before he died. So.... I have ignored her. Taught her to stay in the underground fence (mostly:doh:) and left it at that.

She needs a lot more exercise and work than any golden I've ever had. I think she would like to please, but not if there is something calling her to the woods and that is most of the time.

Thank you for being willing to help with little Petey. Too many people get the wrong type of dog and then complain that it isn't what they thought. My Mom has a border collie who is a terror, you can't pull a mat or tick off without being bitten and the vet has to noose him to give him his annual shots. I tried to tell her he wasn't the breed they needed, but they got him anyway and then let him run wild.:(:doh: I am guilty of that a bit with Trouble, but she was just something we found and I must accept responsibilty for training her becasue DH won't. Oh well, I'm sur eI have too much free time anyway.:doh:

Good basic training and recall with wonderful treats will help a lot. Little Petey will most likely respond well to the attention, but I do doubt you will get the fast results you'd get with a golden. In my experience the need to be with you just isn't there to the same extent and that makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get the impression from the mom that she kind of wants the dog to be automatically well-behaved; she sounded peeved that he wasn't. I think he's adorable and he's very loveable.

I don't think he has a strong prey drive. I've only observed from my side of the street but when he's out with them he snoops around and sniffs and generally follows them. He will come when he's called, after a while :D; when it suits him. I got a kick out of them the other day. The dad has been taking him down the block along some vacant lots. They are mowed up to the street and walking is pleasant there. So mom let's Petey out; she's dressed in short sleeved top, cut offs and flip flops; it's 40 degrees and I see Petey take off along the same route that dad takes him. Duh!

I haven't gotten a response to my fb message yet so we'll see.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Good grief - I'd be in long johns and many other layers in 40°! I definitely don't break out flip flops until it is 80°.

Well, it sound good that Petey is happy following along and keeping them company.
Too many people think dogs are automatically well behaved and those especially shouldn't get a puppy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts