Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now mama is wondering whether it is time to put the Pud on medication for her little spay-incontinence problem, that’s right, the one we don’t like to talk about. :curtain:

It used to be fairly infrequent, pretty much only popped up when she was being very wriggly and excited :greenboun, like when we went to parties at friends’ houses where there would be lots of dogs and people and the Pudden, a social drinker, would meet everybody and be excited and would visit the water bowl a little too often, and then Mama had to follow the Pudden around inconspicuously with a glass of water so she (Mama) could suddenly stumble and spill a bit and say, “oh don’t worry, it’s just water”, all to cover up for the Pudden when there had been another little “episode” on somebody’s couch or carpet. Anyways…

I think the episodes are getting more common now. So after our last Pudden pee pee on the passenger seat Mama went into action and washed the seat and put down a layer of pudden-pipi-proof plastic tarp and a layer of absorbent material and on top of that the seat cover so that any other “episodes” would not penetrate the whole seat again and Mama would have to wash only the seat cover. :crossfing

So then yesterday we went biking and the Pudden drank a lot afterwards (she does that) and then Mama had to go into the office and teach while the Pud and friend Garp waited outside in the car. Turns out friend Garp knows the benefits of a padded seat and planted himself in the passenger seat and the Pudden, who is too polite to tell an elderly gentleman half her size to move his caboose out of her seat, had to make do with the (unpadded, non-Pudden-pipi-proof) driver’s seat.

So when mama comes back to the car there’s a big wet puddle on the driver’s seat and Garp blinks one eye and says, “Can you believe she peed on your seat?”:crazy:and goes back to sleep and somebody is all wriggly and embarrassed:wiggle: in the back of the car and Mama had to give kisses and speak words of consolation and make promises of continued affection. :kiss:Then Mama had to drive home sitting on a waterproof garbage bag with several layers of paper towels underneath:eclipsee_:yuck:

So now Mama is wondering whether it’s time for some Pudden pills to address this little problem (which we don’t like to talk about), but mama is worried about potential side effects of said pills (as they contain hormones, right?).

Anyone have experience with this? Advice?:scratchch

Attachments

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Awww... Pudden, lemme just tell you. I think my Mojo has the same problem. He's been having lots of potty accidents since his operation, and most of them are from when he's excited... So you don't have to be embarrassed!! Your mama still loves you and HIS mama still loves him, so everything in that department is fine!

As for medicine... I haven't been to the vet with his problem yet (going soon though) and if she thinks it's bad enough for some then we'll research the crap out of it and decide.

Gary's family dog (they have six...) is a black lab named Shelby and she's 8... she's always had a pipi problem... she would just leak a lot. Mainly while sitting. They didn't get her spayed because they were worried it would make it worse or something, I can't remember. Well, she's on a once-a-day pill and I guess it helps a lot. She still has little leaks, but it's not as bad as it was. She had an emergency spay a year ago, however, because her non-fixed brother... um... did something bad to her. They spayed her that day, and it actually made the problem a little better. I'm sure she still leaks, but it's even better than it was. She's still on the pill. I can ask MIL what she's on and what the side-effects are for you. :)

By the way, Mojo sends big hugs and kisses to Pudden, because he knows she's still a good girl. :heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Awwwww, poor pudden, and good story telling.

I would think it might be worth a try at t alow dose. You shoudl at least get her checked. Maybe it's an infection that's an easy fix.

they are only bad if they do it on purpose...and this is not the case, so poor pudden

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
The rescue has had to put a few dogs on a medication called Proin, and it's been extremely effective. I have not heard of any side affects either. The dogs usually seem to be so much happier when they don't have the involuntary accidents.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Awww...Pudden, you don't have to share everything with Mom.

I understand she may have a spay issue, but are you sure she doesn't have a UTI?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Owww poor Pudden and poor mum it is frustraiting however much we love our pups.
I have Jade Great Dane almost 11 that has a leakey problem (but never at night very strange) she is on Incurin 1 tiny tab a day and that has the leak fixed for the most part she is also on Metacam for the other toilet issue (arthiritus in spine so no sensation of needing to do the other nice subject) might be good to speak to the vet about Incurin for the Pudden.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Poor Pudden....my daughters dog Riley has spay incontinence....she hsa been on Proin for about 4 or 5 years and we have not seen any side effects. She just gets a pill befire bedtime and she is fine. She would pee inn her sleep..poor baby..you culd tell she was embarrassed...the Proin has worked wonders.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
my sophie has spay incontinence, she has been on 1mg des for over 2 years with absolutely no side effects. she gets 1 pill a week and they are under .50 a pill. good luck.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Erin has been on Proin for 7 years and we just added DES on her 15th BD. She is very happy because she was having to wear diapers (that didn't fit!!) to sleep in. I don't even pull her water before bed time anymore. Yippppeeeeee !!!!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I had no idea spaying could cause a problem like this. What is the cause?

Poor Pudden, you're still a fine lady in my opinion. We all have little things which we don't want to talk about.

Quote:

because her non-fixed brother... um... did something bad to her

talk about something "which we don't talk about" :no:

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it happens because spayed girls have lower estrogen levels (no ovaries), and estrogen helps strengthen the smooth muscle of the internal sphincter of the bladder. The bladder has 2 shpincters, an internal (involuntary) one and an external (voluntary) one. The involuntary one can weaken when estrogen declines, such as after spaying or menopause (some human women). Then, when she's sleeping or relaxed and the voluntary shpincter also relaxes...bingo, drop-drop.

the medication supplies estrogen, that's why I was worried bout side effects...

will ask vet when I get him on the phone...

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Good stuff- I say, it's time for Pudden to take the pill!

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I had the same problem with Erica. She is 7 1/2, a rescue ,that we have had for 7 mo.
It started last week, she couldn't control it, so after a few incidents I got her to the vet. He gave her an injection of Baytril and enough pills (Baytril) for 10 days.
Today is her last pill, and not one accident since she got the injection of Baytril.

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
Pudden, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have this problem! But your description of it--and the culprit's mug shot--gave me and the DH a MUCH needed belly laugh this morning! Thank you for sharing, and for reminding all of us that golden ownership ideally comes with a sense of humor!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Holly used to be on Propalin drops, and they were very effective - no more damp patches at all.

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
Aawww poor Pudden. The only thing I can add is that I had a GSD mix that had the same problem and she lived to 14. I don't know what she was on but I know it was hormone based and the vet injected her. We would go when she would start "leaking" which was about 2 to 4 times a year. This was all before the internet and we didn't know any better. I can understand your concerns. She did not seem to have any side effects from the injections and I would say she had the problem for about 8 or 9 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts