Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Sharlette was in a 24 inch cage with her "sister" Chablis a chihuahua. THEY WERE CRAMPED! lol They didn't seem to mind at all .....

sharlette slept like this every night LOL

But I knew it was time for a new crate. So TAHDAH!

a bit roomy right now but I am sure she will grow into it FAST. it is a 42 inch. I got a GREAT deal from E-bay... brand new with free fedex shipping for only 66 bucks. I ordered it the 13th and got it today.... so given there was a holiday and a weekend since the date of ordered to today that was some FAST free shipping. :O) I am so happy.
Chablis' 24 inch cage is stacked on top now.
I was going to keep them in the same crate but Chablis wont quick licking the insides of Sharlettes ears ALL NIGHT... she flips Sharlettes ears back to lick inside them and then Sharletts ears end up flipped back ALL NIGHT and her ears have started staying like that. it bugs the heck out of me... its like Chablis is deforming the cartlage and making her ears want to natuarly stay "open"

as silly as she looks it bugs the heck out of me and then when I flip her ears back down they want to like collapse and not be perky out on the sides of her head... instead they do what I call a fortune cookie... and fold up funny like a muts ears... so I end up having to like rub on her ears to get the funny bend out of them that has got stuck in her ears from being folded open for so many hours at night.

any how ok I wanted to share about my new crate. :O)

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
I take pictures of everything...
I think I have a problem LOL
lol its not a problem. i love taking pics too :D but i dont upload them all :eek: kinda shy.

i got a 46 or 48" crate (kinda saw the crate and picked it up lol didnt measure) for Yuki when he was still a lil pup. it cost me around $200.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got a 46 or 48" crate (kinda saw the crate and picked it up lol didnt measure) for Yuki when he was still a lil pup. it cost me around $200.
yeah I figured this was a good deal since all the local stores wanted 100 or more for this size crate. AND at that price PLUS free shipping? how could I pass that up?!? LOL

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
yeah I figured this was a good deal since all the local stores wanted 100 or more for this size crate. AND at that price PLUS free shipping? how could I pass that up?!? LOL
i wouldnt pass such a deal either ;)

sorry about pic quality, pic was taken by mom...here's yuki in his crate:

btw that bed's cover is currently ripped into pieces thanks to Yuki :doh:
and here he is being lazy on a sunny afternoon:

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wouldnt pass such a deal either ;)

btw that bed's cover is currently ripped into pieces thanks to Yuki
LOL the cover in Sharlettes crate I sewed for her.... I was so proud of it.... I even sewed a zipper on it for stuffing during the colder times.... I put it in her crate and in the morning.... she had chewed the zipper off.... I was the most proud of the zipper too LOL

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
LOL the cover in Sharlettes crate I sewed for her.... I was so proud of it.... I even sewed a zipper on it for stuffing during the colder times.... I put it in her crate and in the morning.... she had chewed the zipper off.... I was the most proud of the zipper too LOL
lol thats what happened here as well. i didnt add a zipper cuz i wont be stuffing his bed, i had sewed it on all sides. Yuki came up with the :doh: "letz shee watz undah ze coovah" plan and digging in his bed....ended up shredding the cover but thankfully mom caught him before he made a worse mess out of it.

sharlette is just too cute reminds me of Saya a lot. i really love her pics.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dogs are SO silly! Sharlette is the goofiest dog I have ever known. she does the most outlandish things. I end up busting up laughing so hard at her. LOL She had JUST got a bath the other day and after she was all dry I let her out to go potty... she wasnt even out long when she was slamming her self at the back door freaking out wantning to come back in. I let her in and she was sloshing all over the floor. slipping and sliding on the tile..... getting MUD everywhere... IDK how she got so muddy... but she was acting like the mud attacked her. LOL she was FREAKING out LOL I was laughing so hard at how she was acting. My husband was even laughing .... he ended up having to mop a lot of the house while I gave her ANOTHER bath. he was even laughing about it. LOL

I think if she could talk she would have swore the mud monster got her.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
lmao thats so funny and the pic is so perfect. you should add a caption to that pic.

"wasnt me mom, it was the mud monster and it got me muddy" or something like that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just a word of caution. If puppies have too much room, they will tend to poop in their crate particularly if they have to go urgently. They will really try their best not to pop or pee where they sleep. But given the amount of room she has now, she could do her business at one end of the crate and sleep at the other. You might want to insert a temporary partition in the crate to provide just enough room for her to sleep uncramped but block access to the rest of the crate. It might not happen, but just a few accidents can undo a lot of potty training. Our 42 inch crate actually came with a partition for just that purpose.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
@Calistar

Yuki has been in his 48" large crate since he was 9 weeks old and there havent been any accidents so far. =/ also Yuki has been trained to go potty 2-3 times in a day and he holds it in till morning...no peeing at night. sure there have been some accidents mostly peeing when he was still young 10-12 weeks old, it was near the door but he never did it in the crate. how one potty trains their pup is more important.

·
Registered
296 Posts
@ Yuki

That is why I said they "tend" to poop and pee in their crate. Nothing is absolute in the dog world. But knowing that their is a tendency for dogs to do that, I was simply offering it as a suggestion to avoid such a potential problem. The fact that your Yuki did not is your good fortune but does not make what I said incorrect.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It did come with the partition but I wasn't going to use ti because she sleeps threw the night. from 9pm till 6am then we let her out. but if she has an oops I will for sure put the partition in the cage. I am thinking she wont need it though. I left the house for 3 hours earlier today and she was in the crate and didn't have any poops or pees... but tonight will be the first night with so much room so we will see. Thank you for the suggestion. :O)

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
how one potty trains their pup is more important.
^ that was my point. everything depends on how well you train your pup.

The fact that your Yuki did not is your good fortune but does not make what I said incorrect.
i didnt deny what you said. i was just pointing at potty training the pup properly so they learn where to go and where not to, the size of a crate doesnt really matter. at 3 months a pup is old enough to distinguish that if trained.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: Sharlette slept like a queen in her new crate. all spread out. She slept like a LOG! ....and to end the "too big of crate may lead to a pee or a poo in the crate" debate...... I am proud to report Sharlette did not have any oopsy doodles in her crate. at 6:30 she started to wine a bit and she was then let out to go potty. I inspected the cage for little mishaps and nothing. YAY!

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:D potty training takes priority over crate size. glad it went well.
yes ma'am LOL I would smoosh her fat butt back in a 24 if she reverted back to pre potty trained LOL she has ALWAYS been good at potty training from the day I brought her home... in the 10 weeks I have had her she has only pooped in the house 2 times that was when she had water jet butt from coccidia and has only peed in the house maybe 4 times at max and it was at the back door. I was up stairs and didn't know she was wanting out. That's why I got the bells for the back door LOL so even when I am not at the back door I can tell when she wants out LOL and she has NEVER went potty in her crate ever. so I would have been WAY shocked if she had.

·
Registered
296 Posts
@Calistar

Yuki has been in his 48" large crate since he was 9 weeks old and there havent been any accidents so far. =/ also Yuki has been trained to go potty 2-3 times in a day and he holds it in till morning...no peeing at night. sure there have been some accidents mostly peeing when he was still young 10-12 weeks old, it was near the door but he never did it in the crate. how one potty trains their pup is more important.
Well you can tell yourself that your training your dog to go 2-3 times a day is the reason he hold it until morning. The fact is that is simply specific top your dog and your good fortune. So there is no reason to take your specific one incident good luck and advertise it as a generally given behavior. We have had dogs that will do as yours does and we have had dogs that are more difficult to train with absolutely no difference in how they are potty trained. The easy dog need nothing special. But you never know whether you have one of those easily trained dogs until you have the problems. Some puppies bowel and urinary systems develop more slowly and the discomfort the feel is different. So regardless of training if they feel that discomfort they are likely to relive themselves sooner unless there is an immediate negative consequence...that being having to sleep where they peed or pooped. That encourages the dog to withstand the discomfort longer. Vets and dog behaviorists both support this line of thought.

So be glad that your dog was easy to train. But it was not the result of any magic potty training methods that you used regardless of what you may tell yourself and others. By spreading such disinformation based on your exception case you do the person looking for answers no favors. In general it is better to err on the side of caution and us a right-sized crate.

To the OP, I am glad Sharlette adopted well to her knew plush surroundings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts