Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the more I love animals.

My old vet clinic just posted on FB the picture of a positively ancient Golden female who was found in their parking lot yesterday. No collar/tags, no microchip.

Now, how many of you think that this very old girl wandered away from some home within walking distance and went to the vet clinic? We all know what happened...she got dumped there.

I have contacted them offering her a forever home and whatever continuing medical care she might need for whatever time she has left.

This was no accident. People disgust me.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I will never, ever understand how people can treat a helpless creature so heartlessly. You have to wonder who else they are abusing in their life - children? Elderly parents? It's beyond any kind of understanding.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,646 Posts
I use to help with Intakes for one of the GR Rescues here in NC that closed down last year. I always thought nothing else could shock me or disgust me, but something else always came along that did.

The Seniors always broke my heart as I had one myself at the time.

At least this dog was left at the Vet clinic where she has a much better chance-I'm not saying it's right. Too many that my group took in were turned loose on the streets, dumped in the woods, or left at shelters, that is far worse IMO.

God bless you for offering to take care of this girl.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yep, I think the same way, I prefer animals over people. I don't think I will ever understand how anybody can be so cruel. I positively hate it, when I see in movies how they call somebody a "dog" or you are no better than an animal. I think the human race is a lot more cruel than any animal could ever be.
I am so happy that you are offering to take in this poor old girl. All the luck to you and golden girl and Thank you!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right that she got dumped at a caring place. The clinic is out in the country, mostly large dairy farms and small hobby farms. I'm sure the clinic knows ALL the animals within a 5 mile radius.

But, geeze, can't walk the dog in the door to make sure it's safe from traffic and admit they can't keep the dog anymore? That's what disgusts me the most...can't take the responsibility for what they are doing.

I'm sure there's a huge line of people waiting for this girl and it will never come to me. But, if it happens we will love her completely.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,646 Posts
You're right that she got dumped at a caring place. The clinic is out in the country, mostly large dairy farms and small hobby farms. I'm sure the clinic knows ALL the animals within a 5 mile radius.

But, geeze, can't walk the dog in the door to make sure it's safe from traffic and admit they can't keep the dog anymore? That's what disgusts me the most...can't take the responsibility for what they are doing.

I'm sure there's a huge line of people waiting for this girl and it will never come to me. But, if it happens we will love her completely.
After working with Intakes, I very quickly became aware that there are too many people who don't:

value the life of an animal
consider it a family member
consider a dog as a life time commitment, so very sad.

That's part of the reason why Rescue Groups have such strict adoption policies because of what the dogs have been through, they deserve so much more.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
this makes me sick. it boggles my mind when people get puppies and once their not puppies anymore thats it? or when they get soo old they just don't want to take care of them anymore. it breaks my heart. i would love to rescue a gr. only problem is we are such a small community there isn't really a place to.. and our spca (or whatever they now call themselves) isn't the best place right now (if you look up sydney, nova scotia spca online or the cape breton post you will totally understand what i mean) this is horrible.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just can't imagine FOR ANY REASON opening the door, letting Penny out of the car and then DRIVING AWAY. I just couldn't. Obviously people DON'T view them as family or as having feelings...even of dependency.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
That is so sad.... :(

On one hand I wouldn't completely rule out that this wasn't a wandering thing. I know plenty of people who let their dogs wander - especially when out in the boonies. It's not that much different than abandonment in my mind, but there are plenty of people who are very careless when it comes to their dogs. And those old dogs wander just as well as the younger ones... and you know those vet clinics reak of dog urine, and would definitely attract the attention of a wanderer....

I hope if it is that case that they find the dog's owners.

But... it does sound like a drop off. :(

Keep us updated! Is there a link to the facebook page?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thank you for offering to take her and help her. That is so kind of you. :):appl::You_Rock_

It's even bad here in the big city. Our vet clinic ended up posting a sign saying it is illegal to dump animals. Too many times the early morning employees would find an animal tied to the handicapped parking post or wandering in the parking lot, looking dazed and confused.

During the last week of Dec 2010, some "person" dumped a blind golden retriever on the streets. The Dallas Police rescued that dog, took it to the vet clinic, they called me. I was able to get him into a rescue group and he's now in a forever home. When I went to the police station to pick him up there were about 5 or 6 officers standing around with the poor scared dog and they all thanked me for coming and helping him. Heck, they are the ones who should be thanked for saving him from being hit by a car or worse. He was named after the officer who actually rescued him.

I can't help but wish, in the recesses of my mind, that karma comes and bites the dumpers in the rear end sooner or later. :crossfing

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Thank you for being one who is willing to show this girl what love is all about. She would be lucky indeed to join your family.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They emailed me back that they are trying to find her owner and will keep me in mind.

Someone has responded with a possible owner name and location. Let's hope!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Aww, just saw her picture on facebook. Poor old girl, she looks so sweet, sad and confused at the same time.
Let's hope it is just a case of wandering off, but then, why does she not wear a collar? Lots of questions.
Please keep us updated. Thanks!

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
They emailed me back that they are trying to find her owner and will keep me in mind.

Someone has responded with a possible owner name and location. Let's hope!
Fingers crossed and hoping! :crossfing

She looks a lot like the old girl that I keep having to walk home where I live. Obviously not her since I live about 20 minutes away from that vet. But... hope she gets back home.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I would wait ,until you know for sure the real story, before thinking she was dumped, but it could be, people do strange things,and mean things.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Aww, just saw her picture on facebook. Poor old girl, she looks so sweet, sad and confused at the same time.
Let's hope it is just a case of wandering off, but then, why does she not wear a collar? Lots of questions.
Please keep us updated. Thanks!
She really does look like a sweetheart - how could anyone possibly drop off a dog like that or any dog for that matter? It looks like she's in pretty good shape so maybe she did just wander off...

Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts