Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Once they're weaned, will they be DANA tested to find out whom the sire is? I remember you saying there were 3 or 4 studs and I'm curious to know how they split.

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look great and have really grown....

The names are great.

How long will they be with you?
We turn them in on Feb 28. They’ll get vet checked that day and microchipped. Then they’re off to Puppy Raisers the next day, March 1. That’s when they’ll be 8 weeks old. CCI likes the puppies to remain with people, so the turnaround time from turn in to going home with their Puppy Raiser is usually only a day.

It’s a lot of work and so much laundry! But we’re enjoying it. It’s also given me an even greater respect for breeders. There’s no way I’d be able to have time to communicate with prospective puppy purchasers. I now understand why you have to be very patient when contacting breeders. They’re busy, especially once the litter has arrived. I’m also lucky that my fellow CCI breeders are eager to swap supplies, toys, bedding, etc. It allows the pups maximum exposure to a variety of things without having to break your own bank. I don’t know how breeders do this without going broke! I’ve never complained about puppy pricing and have happily paid what the particular breeder was charging, but I now totally get how they’re truly not making money at even $2000 a puppy. This experience is teaching me so much.

I’m also understanding why breeders throw up red flags when people post on here about someone having numerous litters at one time. Unless they have a hired staff, I don’t see how they do it and do it well.

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once they're weaned, will they be DANA tested to find out whom the sire is? I remember you saying there were 3 or 4 studs and I'm curious to know how they split.
When they turn in on Feb 28, as part of the vet check, blood is drawn to do DNA testing. I’m anxious to see the parentage report. Three puppies are clearly structurally different from two other ones. So I’m expecting at least two sires. Because I’m not trained or experienced in breeding, I can’t tell with the other 3 puppies. Sometimes they look like the bigger group and other days they look like the smaller group.

We are enjoying this experience so much! And luckily I’ve already connected with 3 (and possibly 4) of the PRs on Facebook so that I can hopefully see how the puppies do long term and which ones go on at age 2 to become a service dog! They’re all lovely pups so I’m hopeful we will be one of the rare litters to have a near perfect success rate. Go, puppies, go!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,227 Posts
I've enjoyed reading about your experience, it's great to hear about all the support you get from CCI, it's an amazing organization. You're a very important part of this journey for these pups to become an assistance dog for someone. One you should be very proud of.

Thank you for everything you're doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts