Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was three weeks ago yesterday that our almost 6 year old Thumper died suddenly. Although we will never know for sure the cause, I am thankful it was quick and he felt nothing. I am also thankful that I was right there so I wouldn't always wonder what happened. Things are slowly getting better but of course we still miss him terribly. Reading the other threads here I realize how all of us have been blessed to spend time with such amazing animals. So I just want to share what made my boy so special to me.
Thumper came to us from a family that just couldn't keep him anymore. When I saw the ad for him I called and was told "others have called and the first one here that wants him gets him" It was 9pm when I got tere and I knew immediately that he was coming home with me. That was three and a half years ago. He immediately became part of our family and we shared many great times together. He loved everyone and everything. We have a lot of deer around our house and he liked to stand in the windows and growl at them, when we told him his friends were outside he would run to the window looking for them. He also knew when to just sit and enjoy the moment.I would take him on my morning runs and sometimes we would sit atop the hill above our driveway and watch the sunrise over the mountains and he would just sit there beside me and stare at it like he knew it was special. It was the same if we stopped to watch a doe and fawns in the meadow, he just knew certain things were worth enjoying. My wife would sometimes accuse me of being like a 12 year old around him and I told her that's what pups do, they remind us that if we have someone to love, something to eat and a bed to sleep in all is well in the world. I once heard the line "Nobility is not a birthright, it's how you live your life" My boy was noble, he will be forever missed.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Thumper sounds like an amazing dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
What a beautiful tribute to your special boy. I am so sorry for your loss. Six years old is much too young. I too lost my special girl Tasha at six. I hope the memories of those special times bring you comfort.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am so very sorry it was Thumper's time to go, but also glad you were there and didn't have to wonder what happened.:(

Your tribute to Thumper is lovely. Some people's trash is our treasure and they sure missed out (thank goodness). Dogs and especially Goldens remind me to enjoy life and live in the moment. It sure hurts to lose them though. Big hugs to you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Some people's trash is our treasure and they sure missed out (thank goodness)
I could not agree more with this. I could not thank god enough for sending us Teddy.

You were blessed to have Thumper, even if it was such a short time. They're such amazing dogs, to touch us so deeply, so fast.

I am so sorry for your loss...

·
R.I.P. Mister Fuzzy Butt!
162 Posts
That was a beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss - I know how hard it is because we lost our Mister 8 weeks ago this coming Thursday. We are so blessed to share our lives with these awesome dogs! It's just too bad that we don't have them longer.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Thumper

Your Thumper sounds like a wonderful and NOBLE dog. I am so happy that you and he shared such a beautiful bond-what you wrote is so amazing!
I am sure that my Snobear and Smooch (Samoyed and a Golden Ret. who went to the Bridge last year) are romping and playig with Thumper as we speak!
I am so glad you got to be there when he died-my Husband, Ken and I, are so very grateful that God has allowed us to be there at the end with all of our dogs-I know we will all see them again.

How true what you said: "pups remind us that if we have someone to love, something to eat, and a bed to sleep in, all is RIGHT with the WORLD!"

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
Your Thumper still runs with you just in another dimension...he lives in your heart :--heart:hoping shortly another lucky golden shall be blessed to share your home :)
And if I go,
while you're still here...
Know that I live on,
vibrating to a different measure
--behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
You will not see me,
so you must have faith.
I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
--both aware of each other.
Until then, live your life to its fullest.
And when you need me,
Just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Thumper - sounds like you were both blessed in the short time you had together.

Run free at the bridge Thumper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts