Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Megora - you were totally right!!! I called again and it's $61 for CERFs. I found another ophthalmology vet that has a clinic mid-November and the CERFs are only $30 (versus $70 regular price)!!! I booked it. Yay!!!!

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
Excellent! We did the local eye clinic last spring. $35 a dog. It was our first time doing any sort of clearance. Now we will do them all and always. Pearl looked good but Lila has non-degenerative cataracts.

Pearl's cardiac cert turned up a teeny weeny murmur. Nothing to worry about, we were told. I am glad to know.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
It seems like a good time to bump this thread up so that everyone who hasn't seen it can read the first post.
Please, please get your dog's eyes checked annually, even if they are never bred.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Today I took Cosmo to an ACVO opthamologist for an OFA eye certification exam. No problems were detected. What a relief! Tomorrow is his birthday, so we have another reason to celebrate!:)

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Ophthalmologist Check Up

It seems like a good time to bump this thread up so that everyone who hasn't seen it can read the first post.
Please, please get your dog's eyes checked annually, even if they are never bred.
Thank you so much for being clear about this disease and who needs screening. I will make an appointment for my girl next week.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
Just did 5 dogs with 5 lear eyes, including 13 year old Finn. I never take it for granted after having PU diagnosed in a 2 year old with no symptoms and formerly passing eyes. I am so thankful for heart and eye clinics that make it easy and pretty affordable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read that Goldens are prone to blindness and that there is a pretty reasonable likelihood that at least some problems with eyesight will occur during the dog's lifespan. Thanks for the personal and informative info, I was wondering if anyone had a best guess as to the median age that these symptoms are most likely to occur. I'm trying to hedge my bets with pet care costs and avoid insurance until it's absolutely necessary (or avoid it altogether). Thanks!

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
A great time for this to pop up again- especially the first post....
Age to do eye exams- I do them at clinics twice in the first 18 months then yearly after that. Why twice? Because eyes are one thing I cannot judge for myself- when I keep a puppy, he or she is going to be doing lots of work in early life, and later, and I don't want to miss anything relevant to that work being done well. If you go to clinics (just looked to see where you are so later I can look up for you but betting someone near to you already knows which shows offer... my sister is in Burlington!) anyway- clinics are very affordable. Usually less than $40 and that's for a full eye exam. There's no median age that would cover all eye problems- cataracts can come up at any age, dystichia too- iris cysts you would want to watch especially if they are pigmented, and so on- there is no magic age to start doing exams and save your $$ by starting later. It's smarter to start now.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I've read that Goldens are prone to blindness and that there is a pretty reasonable likelihood that at least some problems with eyesight will occur during the dog's lifespan. Thanks for the personal and informative info, I was wondering if anyone had a best guess as to the median age that these symptoms are most likely to occur. I'm trying to hedge my bets with pet care costs and avoid insurance until it's absolutely necessary (or avoid it altogether). Thanks!
What is even worse than the blindness, is dogs with PU feel like they have a migraine all day, every day. We had an ophthalmologist give a talk and told us many times when a dog is treated for PU, it becomes very playful again.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I've been taking Merlin for yearly exams since he was 4. Now at almost 9 years old the first changes have been detected. Small cataract in one eye, and possibly the beginnings of PU in the other eye. We are starting on Pred Acetate drops in both eyes 3x per week, and I was also given information on OcuGlo supplements. They are expensive (about $75 a month), but I will start them and see where he is for his next check up in 6 months.

If not for this forum I doubt I would have known that much about PU. Thank you GRF!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Can you tell me how to look up where clinics are held? I have a ophthalmologist about 1 hour away that I can use, but wouldn't mind a lower cost clinic option.
My dogs grandfather was recently diagnosis with early stage PU at age 9. I think I really should start getting the exams for Bryley.

A great time for this to pop up again- especially the first post....
Age to do eye exams- I do them at clinics twice in the first 18 months then yearly after that. Why twice? Because eyes are one thing I cannot judge for myself- when I keep a puppy, he or she is going to be doing lots of work in early life, and later, and I don't want to miss anything relevant to that work being done well. If you go to clinics (just looked to see where you are so later I can look up for you but betting someone near to you already knows which shows offer... my sister is in Burlington!) anyway- clinics are very affordable. Usually less than $40 and that's for a full eye exam. There's no median age that would cover all eye problems- cataracts can come up at any age, dystichia too- iris cysts you would want to watch especially if they are pigmented, and so on- there is no magic age to start doing exams and save your $$ by starting later. It's smarter to start now.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
When you know for sure if it is PU, please notify the breeder. The only way we have any hope of finding the genetic link is if people are upfront and honest about affected dogs. If you would, put it on K9data, too, under honorifics, put "pigmentary uveitis". That way the people trying to track the pedigrees that have had PU can find it. Thanks!

I've been taking Merlin for yearly exams since he was 4. Now at almost 9 years old the first changes have been detected. Small cataract in one eye, and possibly the beginnings of PU in the other eye. We are starting on Pred Acetate drops in both eyes 3x per week, and I was also given information on OcuGlo supplements. They are expensive (about $75 a month), but I will start them and see where he is for his next check up in 6 months.

If not for this forum I doubt I would have known that much about PU. Thank you GRF!

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I would if I could!! Merlin's "breeder" was a backyard breeder and they haven't answered emails in years. I do know the person that has his brother and notified her so she could take him for an exam.

When you know for sure if it is PU, please notify the breeder. The only way we have any hope of finding the genetic link is if people are upfront and honest about affected dogs. If you would, put it on K9data, too, under honorifics, put "pigmentary uveitis". That way the people trying to track the pedigrees that have had PU can find it. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
How ironic, I just received an email this morning from the animal assisted therapy organization where my golden and I are certified, notifying us that if we register we can be seen by a local board certified opthamologist for annual eye exams FREE because she is a therapy dog...this is for service dogs as well. And then I read this post. Thank you so much for posting, for being so open and forthright and doing the right thing. I live by those words and I'm so glad to find others who feel the same way. I wish the breeder where I got my pup from had your morals and ethics. She produced a pup with severe SAS and yet continued to breed and sire and dam...makes me absolutely nauseous.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts