Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
The whole series is wonderful. My son Alex finished all three books within a week. He liked them so much that I read them- and I finished them all in a long weekend because I couldn't put them down.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I loved them!!! The first time I read them, I didn't like them because they were so dark and morbid. But every time I read them, I love them more. Finally, a protagonist who isn't whiny and needy ::cough bella cough::

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I loved those books read the first one and immediately downloaded the next two.... and I agree I couldn't put them down....

·
Registered
253 Posts
LOVE it. I've read the entire trilogy at least twice now. I am a huge fan of children's/young adult lit, and The Hunger Games is incredibly well written, timely, and compelling. The movie version should be out next year, too! Looking forward to it.

Another amazing young adult trilogy is The Golden Compass. It rocks. *The film version is a pretty pathetic attempt to capture the book, though, so I can't recommend that at all.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Hunger Games movie is coming out in March! Just a couple months. =) That's actually what prompted me to read the books. I hate seeing a movie and then reading the book because things never match up completely. The book is pretty much always better, so seeing a crappier version of it first ruins the plot for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree, it's so much better to read the book before seeing the movie.

One other recommendation: Have you read the Uglies series by Scot Westerfeld? If you finish the HG and go into young-adult-series withdrawal, it's definitely fun and worth a read.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've been on such a reading kick since I got my Kindle Fire for Christmas - something like 10 books in the past 2 weeks. lol I've read through the few books left that I hadn't read by my favorite author (J.D. Robb's In Death series - really, Nora Roberts). I also read a few Jodi Picoult books (I love her!), and a couple free/cheap books. I'm gonna run out of ideas sooner or later, so keep them coming my way!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree, it's so much better to read the book before seeing the movie.

One other recommendation: Have you read the Uglies series by Scot Westerfeld? If you finish the HG and go into young-adult-series withdrawal, it's definitely fun and worth a read.

I really liked this series too.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
love the series. the first two books were my personal favourite. im an avid reading as well. I'd recommend the true blood series. It written for more of an adult crowd but her books keep me comming back.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Love the Hunger Games! Like you I wanted to read them before the film came out and I finished them about a month ago. I enjoyed books 1 and 2 more than 3.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I couldn't get through the third Uglies book :( I thought the first 2 were pretty good, though.

You would also like the Mortal Instrument series. I thought they weren't bad but not great either, although everyone else thinks they are fantastic. So I would recommend them. I only read three of those, too but couldn't go onto the fourth.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Loved The Hunger Games!! Another series I've heard is good and I might read soon is The Maze Runner series.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I can't seem to find it on google books or iBook...just got this ipad2 I must be doing something wrong...any ideas? I'm keying in The Hunger Games & Suzanne Collins?

Pete

1 - 20 of 37 Posts