Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Winchester is driving me crazy with his humping. I am trying to hold out until at least 18 months before getting his "brain surgery." Does neutering help with the humping or is it just something they will continue to do afterward, or is it just a phase? My main problem is when he does it to my 7-year-old son while he's playing on the floor. My husband hates when he does it to a big stuffed lion rug thing that is my boys'. I find that hilarious and harmless personally, but nonetheless he needs to knock it off. So, any suggestions, nuggets of wisdom, or encouragement you can share would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I had Darby done a 1 yr. he was making us nuts. He was very good until about 9 months ago when he would mount Kirby (both are fixed). It is a dominance thing with him. I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden he started it and then it dawned on me.

I stopped taking Darby to classes, the ADD makes it almost impossible for him to focus. Kirby got her CGC and started Rally. Well I was taking her to class, working with her, going to matches and eventually trial with her. He was feeling truly left out. So I started him in class again, he failed CGC (big surprise) but we are continuing to go to class just for "together" time and I now work him along with Kirby. He has gotten better but January he was off from class and Kirby was still going so he "back slid" a little. I started having more Darby time and he is behaving much better these days. His class starts back again tonight and he can't wait!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
humping

I was once told by a Vet that humping is a sign of affection! I don't know?????? I had a female that did that! :( By the way, she did it even after she was spayed.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would keep telling him to stop and for awhile you might put the stuffed lion up for a while. Bama was like a humping machine to his giant bear and we took it away for awhile. The humping isnt always sexual, it can be playing or showing dominance.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
We had no problems with Dylan & Bobby or even Frankie, UNTIL we got Erica.
Then Frankie started to hump, Dylan put him in his place and Erica (a rescue that her whole mission was to produce puppies) would allow it at her convenience.
To top it Frankie has HD and arthritis of both back legs, but you would never believe it if you saw him in action! He has slowed up and I don't know why, maybe he is bored with her.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Gus was never a big humper, so I don't have any advice to offer, but I just wanted to say THANKS! When I saw this thread this morning, I got that song stuck in my head, and now it's back in there again :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can relate! Teddy's newest thing is when someone tries to put their jacket on or off he tries to hump it. Since we first got him he has always enjoyed humping blankets and his pillow. :/

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It can be a conflict behavior, and I think this is usually the context from which people think it's 'dominance'. Knowing how to specifically interact with people can decrease this behavior in many dogs. And with objects, it's often good to remove the object but to also address the reasons for the stress.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ive just had my boy neutered at 19 months but we never had a problem with humping, the first few times he did it we corrected him and that was the end of that :) I believe it is a sign of dominance rather than sexual.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Actually neither of my younger dogs did alot of humping...maybe the odd time but it wasn't a huge problem. I'm a bad mom and had my boys neutered at 6 months and 8 months....the odd time I might see one of them on the other but I think it's a dominant thing as they don't do it to anything else.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I had a female that did that! :( By the way, she did it even after she was spayed.
LOL - my female sheltie used to hump my male cat. Both were neutered. We could never figure it out, just thought they were terribly confused!! :D

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
A lot of times it's an excitement thing. When they get overly excited, usually while playing, they lose all power to express it except through humping. My dogs rarely hump each other. Jasmine, my alpha, doesn't hump anyone. Jasper only humps Jasmine and only when she is focused on barking at something out the window. Danny only humps Jasper (he tried Jasmine once or twice and she put a stop to it immediately), again, usually only when Jasmine is barking at something outside the window. Though he will do it occasionally up at the lake when we are late starting our morning walk and he is just so worked up he can hardly stand it.

The best part is the hump train that they do in front of the windows at the front door if someone pulls in the driveway and walks up to the house. Jasmine is the engine, Jasper's the passenger car and Danny's the caboose!

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG! I got a kick out of some of your responses to this question. THANK YOU ALL for your input.

Oh, and Agustus... now the song is in my head too! LOL

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker is still intact at 18 months and he has never been a huge humper. The few times when he did hump, we just gave him a stern "knock it off" and he stopped. Tyson, on the other hand, is our little humping machine and will hump everything in site, including Tucker! With him, it's definitely dominance since he's only 11 weeks old. :doh:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Gable only humps my mom when he is jumping and biting at her. When she tries to walk away and ignore him he graps onto her leg as she walks away. He has tried it once or twice with me but I can control him easier. Hopefully it will go away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot of times it's an excitement thing. When they get overly excited, usually while playing, they lose all power to express it except through humping. My dogs rarely hump each other. Jasmine, my alpha, doesn't hump anyone. Jasper only humps Jasmine and only when she is focused on barking at something out the window. Danny only humps Jasper (he tried Jasmine once or twice and she put a stop to it immediately), again, usually only when Jasmine is barking at something outside the window. Though he will do it occasionally up at the lake when we are late starting our morning walk and he is just so worked up he can hardly stand it.

The best part is the hump train that they do in front of the windows at the front door if someone pulls in the driveway and walks up to the house. Jasmine is the engine, Jasper's the passenger car and Danny's the caboose!
The hump train cracks me up. I would love to see a pic of that!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
The hump train cracks me up. I would love to see a pic of that!
I wish I could find i! I know I uploaded it to my photobucket account, but I have about 1400 pictures there. LOL. I'll try to catch another one next time it happens. It really is funny!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I love boy dogs, but this is the #1 reason I stuck with a girl when I got my Flora. Humping dogs actually for some reason really grosses me out, and I would be HORRIFIED if one of my dogs did it. Of course, saying that automatically means that the next puppy I get, if it's a boy, he will be a Master Humper. :p:

Good luck with figuring out a solution! Fortunately it's not a huge deal, but I totally understand you wanting to stop that kind of behavior. :)

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
I also read its a sign of dominance. I looked into this because my neighbors male golden dug into my yard and humped all my guests on 4th of july How embarrassing. We couldnt return him because my neighbors were gone ALL day and he just kept digging new holes under the fence. I read that some females also do this. It is something I would definitely not allow. Just grosses me out. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts