Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year starting after Thanksgiving our family gets together and makes Gingerbread houses. We make enough for each family group and a few extra to give away.

A couple of Christmas's ago after we had put our gingerbread house out , we started to notice that our Golden Sophie was spending more and more time in the room where the gingerbread house was located. Being a Golden we assumed the worst, but every time we went into check on the gingerbread house it was fine. Christmas passed and all appeared to be fine. The day came to finally dispose of the Gingerbread house, we went over to the table picked it up and discovered that all the candy at the back of the house against the wall had been licked down to little nubs. She had been putting her head behind the house and licking the candy where it couldn't be seen.

This will be our first Christmas since 1984 where our house has not had a Golden. It is sad but not as sad than if we have not had Goldens in our home for the past 24 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Beautiful Sophie story, made me smile and then cry. God Bless you.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
What a sweet story. You still have a few weeks before Christmas I am sure people on here could find you a nice golden rescue :)

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I think your gingerbread house needs a few "little nubs" of candy on the back to commemerate Sophie. These are the memories that bring a smile, and a tear.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
That is one lovely culprit in front of the tree. You are so right that 24 years of goldens has been a blessing, despite your sorrow at a house empty of gold this year.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is such a sweet story about Sophie. I know that she is nibbling on a gingerbread house at the bridge thinking of you too. They do bring us such love and joy, even after they are gone. (((HUGS)))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts