Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one of these, and I couldn't believe how much loose hair I was able to get off of Jacey with this. I think the furminator is something that will work great.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yep. It makes you look at your Golden in a whole new way. I couldn't believe the amount of undercoat it got off Farley either. Wonderful invention.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yep, it can cut the guard hair while it is pulling out the undercoat. It also can scrape the skin if you use it too much. An undercoat rake or comb used regularly is better.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had heard they were not god for the coat. I try to brush often & at least I have a more controlled shedding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think they work great, if you know what you're doing. Going over the same area several times can result in too much thinning, particularly if you do it to the hindquarters area (don't ask how i know). I only use mine occasionally on his upper back and gently on his sides. More often i just use a brush to pick up the loose fur.

·
Kristy
10,245 Posts
Now that's a good one, Traz.... a controlled shedding ;) I Love it! (my husband doesn't appreciate the dog hair, so I have always tried to swiffer our hard woods every day... it's my concession to him not being the dog lover that I am... he'd be happy with a Havanese... tolerates my golden obsession with amusement) I am always looking for the next miracle and sort of hoped the furminator would be it... Oh well.... :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not something you'd want to use regularly. It's not supposed to replace a comb & brush. The furminator I think is just supposed to be used mainly during the big shedding times. I just got mine so I tried it out and it was able to get a lot of loose hairs out that the brush and comb didn't seem to get a hold of.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Be very careful especially with an older dog, and use a light hand. I bought one a couple of years ago for Maggie, she ended up with a terrible razor burn. I sent it back to the company.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
I use one on my 2 but i am very light handed with it and don't use it all the time and would never let my husband lose with it the poor dogs would have no hair lol

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I use the Furminator at home on the Harley dog but only when necessary to get out the undercoat and never on furnishings or feathers....no tail either.
At the shop we use a similar tool manufactured by Andis, it is basically a Furminator that vibrates very gently. We have a Fur B Gone program that dogs come in for and many of them actually fall asleep when we gently use the Andis.
WagonDog

·
Registered
367 Posts
I love my Furminator! I only bought it because it was cheap but now I couldnt be without it. Great invention.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Perdie, where did you find one cheap? I would love to get one but they seem pretty expensive whenever I have seen them. I have however seen knockoffs that were cheaper.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I love my furminator. As others have said, it's not something to use too often. I use mine maybe once every month or two. I got mine cheap off Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one too that I use on the collies....but I've been nervous that they'd end up with a big bald patch....so I only use it very rarely. It does tend to get a lot of hair though.

Heather

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Moose gets brushed with his every other week. As long as you don't go at it like a meth addict with OCD it should be fine. I go over each area of his body a couple of times and he loves it. No signs of discomfort at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also use mine every two weeks (sometimes sooner depending on my mood) and anyone is welcome to view the photos I have of Murphy, of course there are only a few right now, but everyone is welcome none the less.
I just go over his body a couple of times with a firm motion, and always avoid his tail, hind quarters, and leg feathering. It really has kept the fur in my home down.
The only thing that I have noticed is that I can't brush the same area no more than two good swipes, or that area tends to curl up when I blow dry him. Of course, this might just be the way that I am blow drying him, or he may be getting some wave to his new fur. Since he is my first dog, I am still learning. But I love my furminator!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts