Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Harry hasn't had a Happy 4th. First I bought him a life vest hoping that it would help make him feel confident enough to swim in the pool. No luck ... he laid down on the patio and wouldn't move. Then I cut the grass instead of taking him on his evening walk. He had to settle for my son, who was late for a date, taking him on a short stroll ... and now the fireworks have started. He isn't handling it well. It's going to be a long night I think.

IMAG0522.jpg

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I've had a lot of success with "good dog, no big deal" and a fragment of bacon or steak every time there's a firework noise. Unless he's totally over his panic threshold, some yummies and some good vibes from you might be able to mitigate the fireworks a bit.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Poor Harry, not a great day. Have you tried having another dog who likes to swim over for a play date. Maybe they would lure Harry into the pool.

I've found with Zoe that when she really starts to get stressed with thunder or fireworks treats don't help at all. It was starting to get noisy here awhile ago and she was panting and pacing. We put on the thundershirt and some classical music which helped but the fog's rolled in and the fireworks are canceled so everything's serene now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are spending the evening on the floor together watching the Nationals (finally) have the upper hand against the Brewers. A lot rubs and a new chew bone and Harry could care less about the fireworks now. :)

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Poor Harry! Be careful about consoling him too much, it can perpetuate his fear! Lots of treats and you being upbeat should help :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts