Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

The Fast Red Bug

788 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  3 goldens 
#1 ·
Honey loves to chase any kind of bug--scares me seeing her after a bee or wasp. Well, this morning oldest son dropped by and was getting something out of his pocket and pulled out his lazer/light key chain. He was showig me how he playes with ehir cat wit the red light------and honey saw it andwent after it. He had her running up and down the hll way doing circles ec. She ws having a ball.

That gave me an idea of some easy but good exercise for that girl. So i went and got one. Honey justlves to chase that "fast red bug" I will run it up to the sofa or chair, stop it and she thinks it has gone under that piece of frniture and she will get down and sniff and sniff. Is so funny.

I did it for a few minutes several times and she loved it. WOW what an easy way ot getting her to run and spin and get exercise, plus have a great time cahsing "the fat red bug." Even after JUST THIS ONE AFTERNOON you can say to her "Where is the bug, Honey" and she runs around looking for it. Smart little girl;---wel, I think she is smart.

#5 ·
It's important to start and stop "the bug" at the same place each time. I start mine on my foot and when we're done, stop it on my foot. Otherwise the dogs can be neurotic looking for it everywhere and anywhere. To me, starting and stopping at the same place lets the dog know I control when it is time to play and that they don't need to keep looking for it.

#6 ·
I found out in a similar manner about my pup enjoying chasing the lazer. She's pretty obessive about it during the time of the "play" but after a about 5 minutes of play and exercise she's over it and kinda tired of not having anything to put her mouth around lol. I purchased a fairly expensive green laser($350) that will actually BURN wood, cut through plastic bags, pop balloon from hundreds of yards away...etc. Heck t hey do not even allow them to be sold in the US. It will go for over 50 miles its that strong. And I found that when I take it outside to point out stars(I never ever use it inside or to play with the dog simply due to the high power(300mw versus the usual 1mw for a regular red laser), and she just LOVES to be able to see the green beam pointing up at the sky. She goes crazy running around the beam as its pointed out to the field or at the sky lol. I might have to buy a lower power green laser just to allow her to actually play with it since green and blue laser(including the new violet lasers) allow you to see the beam in the daylight as well. I think she likes the red laser, though she does know exactly where it comes from and who makes it happen AND what the laser actually looks like when I pull it out of my bag, the best simply b/c its a large spot and cannot see where it is all the time so it makes her search for it. Just be very careful NOT to have it reflect off of anything as over a period of time the rads can build up and damage the pups(or kitties for that fact) retinas. I agree with the poster that stated some dogs can become overly obsessed with laser as well and can cause some serious behavioral issues. I love the photos btw!

#7 ·
I would be very very careful, using these kind of toys with animals especially dogs, not only the damage it can do to there eyes but also if dogs play with something repeatadly that they cannot get at (or essentially win) than can get stressed out and open a whole new can of worms in respect ot behavior and there mental state...

Are these red bugs actually toys for puppies or are they just normal laser pens..? Ive always been told to steer clear of things they cant actually get hold of..?

#9 ·
It is just a lazer pen She loes to chase any moving bug and has caught at least one bee that stung her inside her mouth. e ar very careful and do not let it near her eyes. We play about 3 or sominutes at time with it. We just call it a "red bug" becaue she chase it like she does a fly. I don't think she has ever caught one, but she loves to chase them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.