Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Lisa (I think that is Willow and Diesel's mom's name)
May I ask you how old Willow is in that photo in your signature? By her ears and body I am assuming she is still pretty young. I have normally seen a pup's adult coat color normally end up close to the same as it's ears color as a pup.
That pic was taken yesterday. She is 13 months old. Her breeder also said she will get darker like her ears.

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
That pic was taken yesterday. She is 13 months old. Her breeder also said she will get darker like her ears.
Interestingly enough, some friends of mine had a Golden with an Irish background many many years ago. His body was very light and his ears were definitely red so we all expected his body woul darken eventually. It never did and to the day of his death, he was a very light dog with red ears :confused:

It will interesting to see if her body color does darken to her ears.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think from now on when a new member joins and their first questions are "I am looking for a white golden or creme golden, our response should be "welcome glad you could join us and ask them give them the GRCA website so they can see the information http://www.grca.org/allabout/a_doodle-white.html. That explains it all and also gets them to the website so they can look for a particular breeder in their area.
I think the average person coming here for the first time probably does not know that using "rare" or "white" are not correct terms when asking about looking for a golden. And that it is a hot button topic. So we should educate them and not preach about the rights or wrongs in the wording but what to look for from a responsible breeder.

To all of our members that have the light goldens that may have been offended or hurt by the terms used we apologise. That was never our intention. I love all the shades of gold.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
That sounds like a good plan Carol. I think if someone inquires about finding a breeder of lighter colored goldens, they should be given advice and help in finding one. If they come looking for "rare english creams" then perhaps they can be enlightened that there is no such thing, they are all Golden Retrievers, some just happen to come in lighter shades than others. :)

·
16,000 Posts
I don't believe that most people have an issue with european style goldens. I think most golden lovers appreciate a golden in any shade - knowing that there are some style differences between what I would call the European style and what I would call the American style. What gets my hackles up is the term "english creme" - even worse the addition of "rare english creme". Last I knew goldens were pretty popular in the UK and there was no shortage of dogs - a plane ride apparently makes them rare (I don't get that). In my observation the term "English lines" is seems to be the more legitimate descriptive term.

When someone tells me that they are looking for a "rare english creme" or a breeder who sells "rare english cremes" I have the same reaction that I have to "hypoallergenic labradoodles" - I can't get passed the dishonest marketing factor...

Erica

:doh: Seriously, how many times do we have to SAY this until it is clear to people? I've said it a million times. I have no problem with English/European dogs. I only have a problem with those who are fraudulently marketing extremely light colored dogs as something that they are not. Many who are AMERICAN BRED DOGS and not European.

It's grossly unfair to say that we don't "celebrate English dogs". We do. We DON"T celebrate intentionally breeding dogs , not matter the color, that are poor quality, have no history of health clearances, or are sold as something other than what they are, which is GOLDEN RETRIEVERS. There is no shame in saying it - it's the name of the breed.
As for the thread that started this latest plea, the original post was patently untrue and I have to imagine that if someone with American bloodlines were to come here and tout that "American dogs are calmer/better/healthier, it would get your dander up, too. Your dander is up because you are completely misinterpreting what the breeders here have been saying. Some posts are quoted out of context to make it look like English dogs are being denegrated, which they are not. Why not quote the posts where we've said that we very much admire good ones...

·
16,000 Posts
That sounds like a good plan Carol. I think if someone inquires about finding a breeder of lighter colored goldens, they should be given advice and help in finding one. If they come looking for "rare english creams" then perhaps they can be enlightened that there is no such thing, they are all Golden Retrievers, some just happen to come in lighter shades than others. :)

We have, and we do.

·
16,000 Posts
Thank you for your post I am an owner of a 5 month old creme golden retriever. Hes such a sweetie, has the true golden retriever personality and I love him to bits. Just because hes is creme though I have heard a few rude things. But I got him off a reputable breeder with all the appropriate checks and I think that just because of his coat color he shouldnt be discriminated against. This is what someone wrote on yahoo answers after seeing a picture of him

"That is not a Golden Retriever. Goldens are gold, not white. I swear to God I hate these new "white" goldens. So ugly and so unnecessary.

Keep them Gold.
Source(s):

Proud mom to a rescued TRUE GOLDEN golden retriever"

How could someone say that about my little Leo?
Someone with no tact nor even a basic understanding of manners.
NO one here has ever said anything even remotely like that, even if lighter colored dogs are not their preference.

·
B.J. and the Kohana Kids
631 Posts
I don't believe that most people have an issue with european style goldens. I think most golden lovers appreciate a golden in any shade - knowing that there are some style differences between what I would call the European style and what I would call the American style. What gets my hackles up is the term "english creme" - even worse the addition of "rare english creme". Last I knew goldens were pretty popular in the UK and there was no shortage of dogs - a plane ride apparently makes them rare (I don't get that). In my observation the term "English lines" is seems to be the more legitimate descriptive term.

When someone tells me that they are looking for a "rare english creme" or a breeder who sells "rare english cremes" I have the same reaction that I have to "hypoallergenic labradoodles" - I can't get passed the dishonest marketing factor...

Erica
Agreed! I personally hate that they're called "creme" but that's simply a linguisitcs thing. But I do wonder, if in the UK, there are breeders that advertise "rare deep golds"? I think though that you're arguement about the "hypoallergenic doodles" really hits a nail on the head... its not the dogs, or the colour, or even the type.... its the hype that's associated as a marketing ploy. Well put! BJ

·
B.J. and the Kohana Kids
631 Posts
Thank you for your post I am an owner of a 5 month old creme golden retriever. Hes such a sweetie, has the true golden retriever personality and I love him to bits. Just because hes is creme though I have heard a few rude things. But I got him off a reputable breeder with all the appropriate checks and I think that just because of his coat color he shouldnt be discriminated against. This is what someone wrote on yahoo answers after seeing a picture of him

"That is not a Golden Retriever. Goldens are gold, not white. I swear to God I hate these new "white" goldens. So ugly and so unnecessary.

Keep them Gold.
Source(s):

Proud mom to a rescued TRUE GOLDEN golden retriever"

How could someone say that about my little Leo?
Send 'em our way! I'd give them what for! Is that a copy/paste.... like they actually said it that way? They're not "new" or "rare"... that's all anyone here is saying really. But that type of response should be shoved back down their throat, IMO. LOL.... not that I'm into making people eat their words, but good grief! BJ

·
B.J. and the Kohana Kids
631 Posts
When we got Shelby, she was 21 months, and almost white. Over the last couple of months, she's gotten considerably darker (although still very light) and her feathering is finally starting to get long. She's 27 months now.

When we first got her, my dh thought she looked funny. "I thought we were getting a Golden Retriever" Just last night I commented on how dark she was getting. He thought it was just that she needed a bath. No, in fact, she gets darker every time I bathe her! His next comment was priceless: well, then, stop bathing her! Turns out he's had a change of heart and kind of likes the lighter color now.
That's so funny. When I got Sydney, I didn't want a light dog. Now, I think she's about as dark as I'd like. I like them a medium gold on the back with light gold feathering... I like the contrast. But colour really is secondary, but I was looking forward to having a lighter puppy (that is darkening as she ages too). BJ

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
You know personally, while this may not have anything directly to do with this argument, I've always thought it was strange this forum does not have have a set of "FAQS" pasted at the top of the threads list as most other fiorums do for any other topics including the sites I've run for years. It seems it would be prudent to have a few threads locked to the top of the threads list that detail basic educational topics such as this issue, puppy buyers guide(so its right out int he open for those not fully understanding of how forums work, basic guide to commonly used terms here, posting guidelines...etc It always seemed to me that ALOT of the same questions get asked over and over and over again when most of them could have been avoided in the first place via use of a sticky. It could certainly help end some of the debates from others answering with opinion rather then just fact about things at times.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We do have at the top of the page under Miscellaneous A puppy buyer fact checklist. It has some great information. And if you look at each individual section of the forum there is some stuff already Stickied. It is hard to sticky or have FAQ with each topic because everyone still ask the questions usually because their situation isnt quite the same or they have problem finding it. Plus so many people join all the time and they can bring in new advice that wasnt shared on the original thread. We have looked into it before. But thanks for asking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Someone with no tact nor even a basic understanding of manners.
NO one here has ever said anything even remotely like that, even if lighter colored dogs are not their preference.
Yup that was a direct quote. I replied "
To IsThatSo? : He is a golden retriever. Golden retrievers vary in coat colour.. You can't be much of a dog lover if you say this pup is ugly. Hes gorgeous and he is definately has the golden retriever nature, just because his coat color is not extremely golden does mean he is not a golden retriever. He is lovely and anyone that has a golden retriever knows it is their personality that sets them apart."

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Okay, my next Golden will be a bleached blonde! LOL

Gawd, English Cream sounds so much better, eh? When I first started posting on a Golden Retriever forum I made the mistake of discribing a blonde, cream, beige, egg shell white GR, as an English Cream. I was just referring to color. English Cream has a nice ring to it. Reminds me of a wonderful Worthers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
One of my wishes is to have two more goldens (dark red and the golden color), Kasper is the so called "english cream" but he was not picked because of his color, he was picked for his sweet personality! :wavey:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
before owning Ruby I thought Goldens only came in the mid gold colour
we researched breeders and found a few that bred lighter coloured goldens so we became more aware of different colours
we visited Ruby's breeders house and she had 8 goldens of differing colours, she had 2 breeding bitches who were as diferent as chalk and cheese, both having the same temperament and personality that I was expecting to see from a golden but one was as near to white as I have ever seen in the flesh and one was what I expected of a golden a mid golden colour
we were not fussed on colour at the time, we chose Ruby to be our dog as she was the sweetest and we just knew she was ours
her mom was the daker of the goldens but Ruby is a light golden /creamy colour
it wasnt until I found this site that I found that "American " goldens are SO dark, I have never seen such a dark golden here in the UK and I would love to just to see the richness in their fur as well as so that I could blag a cuddle lol
I think a golden retriever is a golden retriever regardless of colour and we should all
respect each other on their preferences and their dogs
the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same and their would be alot of dogs out there that were simply born the wrong colour
thankfully there is a golden colour for everyone and although I would love to own one of each and every colour I know thats just not possible so it is nice to just pop onto this site and see everyone elses goldens

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't like the term 'English Creams', I just hate it!! I stick with british golden and american golden. Over here in the UK people want the darker goldens, the lady who bred Roo still has the palest pup of the litter, no one wants a light golden for showing and the home he did have he was returned from, I admit there were 2 pups who were very independent fighting away and I picked Roo as he was expected to be slightly darker.

Back to my loathing of the term 'english cream', I get a bit OCDish sometimes if things aren't right and I couldn't ever call a golden an 'english cream' unless it was a complete and full British dog. To own a true english cream in america, I believe you would have to ship a british golden over to the US. If you have a european/american golden or a pale american golden then call it that because that is what it is, I just don't like it when people hide where there dog has come from behind its colour...

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
Three comments/points that I'd like to make on this thread:

1. I like ALL Goldens, but I have a red and most likely will get either a red or mid-gold in the future. Not that I have anything against a cream or light colored Golden, but this is just my preference.

2. I dislike the "rare" qualification being attached to ANYTHING relating to a breed!!! Especially to influence people to pay extra!

3. I don't like the terms "Always buy..." or "Never buy..." when discussing pets. Not every rule follows in every situation!

Just my two cents worth.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts