Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after buying my second golden (first one has moved on from this mortal realm) Amanda and I managed to make it roughly 9 months before we decided we wanted another one. Goldpaw's Fun N' Flirty - Mirabelle is the result! She's a gorgeous girl (I'll back it up with pictures later) and has a fantastic personality! That little tail just won't stop moving!

So now that Harley has a new playmate are there any suggestions or tricks you guys have for managing two dogs? And moreover, is there anything I should watch out for? (Jealousy etc. etc.)

- Justin

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A second puppy dreaded? Never!! I love having two and wouldn't change it for anything! Congratulations and I am looking forward to your pictures.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We just added a second golden puppy 2 months ago, and it has gone extremely well.

My advice is still give your first dog one to one time. MacKenzie goes into her crate at night, and Brady can get all the lovings and attention he wants at that point.

I also have two completely different dog bowls (color and shapewise), so they now know which one is whose. It has made it a lot easier in feeding them different food types, they know which bowl is theirs when I feed them.

Also have plenty of toys, especially ones big enough for them to play together. We have been very fortunate, that Brady has no problem sharing.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Dreaded?? NEVER. Our two are sister littermates and it was a wonderful experience from the get-go. We always made sure they got plenty of one on one time..... training, going places, walks, snuggle time etc as well as lots of "all together" time. We never have had the problem of them being too bonded to one another instead of to us, and I think the individual time is the reason. ENJOY..... what a wonderful time for you!!!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
I agree with the others....dreaded..never!! We have 3 dogs..2 of which are puppies 2 months apart in age. I will admit that the first few months were tough (our babies used to fight alot) and we wondered if we had done the right thing by getting the second puppy so soon. However, with lots of patience, understanding, training and love, they have come around and are very close now. I can't imagine not having at least 2 dogs in the house and 3 is even better (I would love more actually)......

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahaha... its funny because Harley was so fantastic as a puppy. He was very fast to train (never had accidents inside). He was "Black Boy" out of his litter. Mirabelle is "White Girl".... not to say they are opposites... but she's a sneaky pee'r. LoL. I think she's got a lot of spunk and seems pretty determined to do things her way.

PS: Only reason I used Dreaded was because I knew people would show up in droves to defend our golden honor!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Congratulations!!! I watched the "Fun" litter grow from day 1, your Mirabelle was one my favorite girls from that litter :)
I have 2 Goldpaw girls, London (Goldpaw Ms.Jingle Bell Rock) and I co-own Ritchie (MBPIS Ch.Goldpaw's Million Doll'r Dream) with Tammy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We are also getting a second golden this weekend! Dont want to hijack your thread, but does anyone have tips on how to first introduce them? Should I take Cooper along when we pick up the pup or bring the pup home to introduce here?
Good luck with your dynamic duo. Im interested to hear the replies you get as well!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We are also getting a second golden this weekend! Dont want to hijack your thread, but does anyone have tips on how to first introduce them? Should I take Cooper along when we pick up the pup or bring the pup home to introduce here?
Good luck with your dynamic duo. Im interested to hear the replies you get as well!
When we first brought home Austin, we took him and our older dog Reno to the park (on neutral ground) to introduce them. We just let Reno sniff Austin and then they went about their business. Austin followed Reno everywhere. When we brought Lincoln home, the same thing, took all 3 to the park for an introduction. Most people recommend introduction on neutral grounds but some other members may have other suggestions.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations!!! I watched the "Fun" litter grow from day 1, your Mirabelle was one my favorite girls from that litter :)
I have 2 Goldpaw girls, London (Goldpaw Ms.Jingle Bell Rock) and I co-own Ritchie (MBPIS Ch.Goldpaw's Million Doll'r Dream) with Tammy.
Tammy really does have a fantastic group of dogs coming out of her breeding program! Ritchie is a beautiful dog!! I was lucky enough to meet most of the pack yesterday. I was literally surrounded by champion dogs with an absolute love of people. Pretty amazing! (Dreamer is hilarious).

I'm absolutely thrilled so far by Mirabelle, she has a lot of energy and spunk and doesn't take any lip off the cat or Harley LoL. Also she met a fair sized group of people today where I work, she impressed me with her fearlessness and nonstop tail wagging. Total people pleaser.... Now I just gotta make her a "Daddy Pleaser" and teach her to go outside! You take your eyes off them for ONE second!!! AHHH! She's so sneaky and quick about it too!

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup. We have an 11 year old, and just added a puppy last month. We introduced them outside of the house, and then took them for a walk. That initial meeting went well, but I think the older dog would have preferred the pup left at the end of the day!

For the first couple of weeks, we kept them separated pretty much the whole day. That was to give each of them their space, and to avoid any jealousy on the part of Coby (older). After that, they were together longer and longer each day. The only issue we're having is with toys. Coby has to let Sam (pup) know who gets to play with the toys first and Sam better not try to take the toy away (there have been a couple of in-your-face smackdowns, but it's all bark). Things are getting better by the day, though. Coby now allows Sam to walk all over him (literally), and I even caught Coby sort of playing with Sam the other day.

Good luck, and give it time!!

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the toy thing is pretty frustrating. No matter what I'm doing with Mirabelle, Harley feels as though he HAS to be involved. Also, Harley has a bad habit of taking away any toy she has and running around the house with it (her on his heels usually). He shares decently though I guess -- as in he doesn't get mad when she grabs stuff he has but he's gotta learn to give her some space and let her do her thing sometimes! The really are getting along great though.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love having two dogs!

Here's our story:

We rescued a sheltie at age 3. Dixie was a model sheltie, perfectly behaved. But I had wanted a playful dog since I had a young family then and Dixie was very placid (ie lazy!). So the following year we added a rat terrier pup, Toby. He fit the bill perfectly and lo and behold, he brought out Dixie's fun side! Those two had a ball together.

When Dixie passed away, we got a toy poodle mix, Teddy. Toby and Teddy hit it off right away. Sadly, we lost Toby recently - thus, the addition of Duffy, our first GR.

Well, Teddy is a bit spoiled - what can I say he's a lap dog. And he didn't take to Duffy right away. Now, a month later, they do play together but I'm starting to get concerned about the size difference and Duffy's rough play. Teddy does a pretty good job of keeping him in line, so far. But Teddy is still very very possessive, especially of me. Evidently, I am his person and he is not that willing to share. But we're working on it!

Like every other multiple dog owner here, I love having two dogs and will always have a pair. I'd go with three in a heartbeat, but can't convince hubby! For now, I'm pretty satisfied with my two. You won't regret it!

Kris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts