Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually it was my son's homework. Seriously.

Bailey has taken quite fondly to counter surfing, but it's not just for food! She will take anything (papers, keys, a screwdriver...you get the idea!) off the counter and run off with it. :doh:

Do your dogs do this with non-food items? What are your best tips for stopping this?? Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I had that happen but it was a check for a refund from the bank. Everyone laughed when I went in with the shredded pieces and asked for it to be stopped and new check issued. They just deposited the money in my account just to be on the safe side.

·
Breec3
691 Posts
Well, speaking of eating paper items, My Mr. Comet just ate my daughters W2 form. It was left in a little magnet container that we have on the fridge. The papers were obviously to heavy for the magnent and it slid to the bottom of the fridge and it was history.

I had to have my work issue her a new form.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
There were a couple of homework assignments I turned in in college that had a corner chewed off.

I have a dog with a paper fetish and we have not been able to deter him. The only solution is to keep all paper picked up and out of reach (and he's always crated when we leave).

·
Registered
765 Posts
In fifth grade I remember we had a Science homework assignment due the next day, I had done it that evening & left it on my table. That morning when I got up trying to rush around to get ready, I remember finding it beside the table just a little chewed on & peed on?!? Who knows..lol
When my Science class came around that day I walked up to the teacher & told her that my dog had peed on my homework, I was SO EMBARRASED! lol
FORTUNATELY she LOVED animals..she had a room FULL of them! "turtles, fish in a tank the size of a small swimming pool, snake, reptiles, rabbit..etc"...& she believed me. I was able to do it over again that night and turn it in the next day for full credit. LOL
-----
Jake loves shredding Napkins!! These are his absolute favorite...ehhh lol

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Had to contact real estate agents and homeowners and reschedule appointment to go back to photograph 4 houses because the dog ate my work.

Attachments

·
Done
678 Posts
Jake has a compulsion for text books! He will skip the papers and go for the

books themselves. My son had (well hopefully had) a habit of leaving his

bedroom door open when he was at school. So far it has been two history

books and 1 lit and comp book at around $80 a peice. Thank God for

Half.com.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Max likes to carry around my wallet. He has several hiding spots I have discovered with my extra keys, random socks, remotes and my checkbook - it didn't have any checks left in it, so I wasn't searching for it. My wallet goes on the taller dresser now. Luckily he doesn't chew them up, just carries them around and I guess eventually hides them - usually down in the couch coushions, but a few under a chair.

He hates tissue paper (not the kind for runny noses or bathrooms, but the kind you wrap presents with). We are having twins in a couple of weeks, and had several baby showers. We left the trash - mostly tissue paper - in a large gift bag. He shredded it to peices abou the size of a quarter all over the house. We laughed and cleaned it up. Apparently we didn't learn, becuase after another shower he did the same. I wish I could have seen it, I know he had a blast. I love it that he tried to act innocent, however, he had a piece hanging out of his mouth, and left us several days of clues in the yard. Luckily no major problems from it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, as happy as I am to know I'm not alone, does anyone know how to curb the counter surfing?? LOL! :) Short of keeping the counters completely clear, which with a huge center island and lots of little kids is pretty unrealistic! ;) Help! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm pretty lucky with Dreidel as she doesn't counter surf. Her entertaiment is when she's felt in the car she has to steal the credit cards out of cup holder. Or anything else that might be in the cup holder like a full cup of coffee. She doesn't distroy them, just plays with them. When I get back to the car she tucks her tail and lowers her head thinking she's in trouble. which she's not. She gives me those big cow eyes to say "I'm sorry mom, but I got bored guarding the car and I just HAD to play with it" Just too cute.

As for the counter surfing my chocolate lab was a huge offender. We finally got one of those gient rat traps(plastic). We set it all the way at the back of the counter and attached a piece of paper with peanut butter on it (his favorite food). The paper stuck out from the trap about 6" so it wouldn't snap his nose, but would make a huge noise and scar him off when he started to lick the paper. It worked. We set it 3 times and he never even offers to surf now. In fact I can leave steak sitting on the counter and he won't touch it.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I would advise possibly geting a product called "SCATT". It's a motion sensored areosol can that sprays when something sets the motion sensor off. It can be placed on a desk, counter, trash can...etc Usually the noise and blast of air is more then enough to deter most cats and dogs from counter surfing..etc. Check your local pet stores.

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
Grrr... Kai has a thing for books. I am a reader and I am upset to say that he has already torn up my best beloved books. It is quite frustrating and it is a habit that we are trying to kick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts