Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe it is not their fault, but I have learned my lesson. We just got back from a mini vacation and were preparing dinner when my wife noticed a strange smell. Buddy was nosing around the refrigerator and we decided to check it out.
It has been a while since we cleaned the cooling coils and I think their was a whole golden under there. Needless to say we just had to purchase a new one. This was only 6 years old but would cost around $500.00 to repair not counting holiday, weekend additional cost.
New years resolution is to clean the coils at least monthly.
As for Buddy and Lady well they are worth it.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
yep....Ive learned that lesson the hard way too!

One time in my zealous coil cleaning ventures I used the high-velocity dog dryer and blasted the hell out of the coils.....mmmmm....lets just say, it was not one of my brightest decisions! I had dust allllll over the kitchen.... <sigh>

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My SIL learned the hard way with her St. Bernard!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just bought a new vacuum cleaner & they threw in the neatest attachment, a long, flat tube with opening on the top. It is for getting under the fridge to vacuum.

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, some women should not be single :p: Do I have to take my refrigerator apart?
Not normally. There usually is a grill on the bottom of the front which pulls off and you can use a vacuum to clean the coils. Might check the internet for specific instructions for you make.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!!! I had no idea that this was important, so as soon as I read this thread I went straight to the vacuum and crawled on the floor to check out the coils. DISGUSTING! Oh man! Who knew?! It took me a good five minutes to get all the gunk out. Bogey found a few treats he lost. He must have thought they were still yummy because he gobbled them right up.

This is GREAT advice. Thank you so much! You probably just saved me yet another unexpected enormous expense.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
In addition to the refrigerator, if you have a front loading washing machine, clean the internal filter. When looking at your instruction manuel it tells you there is one but doesnt tell you how to unclog it. I think it is a way to have a plumber to come out to your home.
If you unscrew the front panel you should see a filter (ours unscrews). It can get clogged up from dog hair and things missed in pockets. One thing I have really noticed with the frontloading washing machines, when you take the clothes out, they feel almost dry from the spin cycle. If you notice any water or they are really wet it might be time to clean the filter out. Found this out the hard way. We now clean ours out once a month.
We found where our filter was by looking at the internet for our GE model. Here is the picture of what it looks like with the panel off

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
oooooh Carol!!! I did not know this!!
THANK YOU!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
In addition to the refrigerator, if you have a front loading washing machine, clean the internal filter. When looking at your instruction manuel it tells you there is one but doesnt tell you how to unclog it. I think it is a way to have a plumber to come out to your home.
If you unscrew the front panel you should see a filter (ours unscrews). It can get clogged up from dog hair and things missed in pockets. One thing I have really noticed with the frontloading washing machines, when you take the clothes out, they feel almost dry from the spin cycle. If you notice any water or they are really wet it might be time to clean the filter out. Found this out the hard way. We now clean ours out once a month.
We found where our filter was by looking at the internet for our GE model. Here is the picture of what it looks like with the panel off
Thanks Carol, I never thought about our front loading washer, but I will now!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Well, I took my frig apart at the bottom, pulled anything out that would come out but there's no coils under there. I vacuumed anyway :D

I think they might be on the back? It's not exactly a new frig.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
A real fun chore...... no doubt! The coil brushes are very helpful in reaching those awkward spots. Depending on your frig and the configuration of the coils, the brushes may not reach certain sections of the coils. This is where, like Mary mentioned, the use of air from a compressor (or the blow dryer) will help to remove some of the fur and dust. Wet towels place around the perimeter of the frig at the floor with an opening at the front for the vac hose will help to control the escaping fur and dust. Use some caution when using air pressure..... be careful where you direct it so to prevent damage to the controls, small tubing, valves, etc.

Can you tell ...... at our house this is on the "husband's list of chores.":p:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Also.....don't brush your dogs to close to the heatpump unit outside....the dog hair gets sucked up inside the unit and makes it work harder. My unit is right outside my back door and for years I would give the dogs a good swipe with the brush before they came inside once or twice a day. Needless to say...lots of dog fuzz was found in there.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've never considered any of this. You've just added to my chore list, but also likely saved me some $$$ down the line.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks for the reminders on the refrigerator and the washing machine!

We are temporarily moving out of our bedroom, bathroom and master closet for a renovation project. Today we discovered a "golden retriever" under our bed, in fur at least! We were totally amazed at the amount of fur that accumulated underneath the bed, just out of the vacuum cleaner's normal reach.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts