Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite books. Amazing how the 'call of the wild' kept getting stronger and stronger until Buck couldn't resist it anymore. He had to go for it.

For Penny, the 'call of the wild' is the sound of plastic wrapper and the can opener. She comes running from where ever she was loafing.

Plastic usually means cheese wrapper, chips or lately a plastic bag with turkey in it.

The can opener usually mean tuna. She loves cleaning out the can for me and the bowl I use to mix up my tuna salad.

So, what's the 'call of the wild' at your house?

·
Registered
320 Posts
ours is the freezer drawer, Maple assumes its meal time every time we open it lol and every chip bag!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cute post! The 'call of the wild' for Angelina is popcorn from Trader Joes. It is mine too unfortunately! She can be in a sound sleep, snoring away and I'm so quiet opening the bag (using sissors) watching the boob-tube and next thing I know, I look down and there she is waiting me to throw a piece at her. (She catches it mid-air). And of course, Cannella's is the ballie, which I have to hide from her until ready to play because she is such a nut-case about it!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
We also have a treat closet......as soon as that door opens, I am greeted by 3 pairs of eyes and 3 wagging tails!!!

The packaging on the cheese can bring them running.

And I don't know how, maybe it's the smell, but they seem to know when we're peeling a banana.....and they love bananas!!!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must be the smell because when my tuna is in a plastic storage container it may take her a few minutes but she comes to the kitchen. I picture the odor wafting thru the air like on a cartoon and wrapping itself around her nose! ;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We live on a golf course so Nugget responds to the clunk of a golf ball hitting a citrus tree, bouncing off of our roof, or making yet another dent in the barbecue.

Golf ball = treat-for-trade.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Tuff's call of the wild.... is any time the female person of the house has something smelling delicious cooking in the kitchen:doh:

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
There's a few in the house...Ranger is way too adept at figuring out sounds and their connections.

1) The noise of the lid of potato bin the cookie jar is kept in. (And the lid of the cookie jar)
2) The sound of someone getting an egg from the fridge
3) The sound of the sock drawer in my mom's room since she always gets her warm socks before walking Ranger. I have no idea how he can tell the difference between that drawer and the other 5 drawers but he can!
4) The noise of the freezer drawer opening (where his food is kept)
5)The noise of the deep freeze is opening (where the majority of food is kept - this one blows my mind since he never gets fed directly from this freezer...ever.)
6) Hearing his bestest buddy's name "Blue". Gets all wound up and runs to the front door looking for him.
7) The sound of a squirrel scolding him in the backyard. One of these days there's going to be a Ranger-shaped cartoon hole in the fence when he decides to go right through it in pursuit of a squirrel.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
The lovely sound of the whipped cream can squirting works for dogs and cats at my house.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Ice being put into glasses, they come running! There is usually a piece or two dropped and they are ice addicts. And sliced cheese wrapper being opened.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
The plastic crinkle of the bread bag..

The sounds of me picking up the joint supplement bucket (am currently giving the guy some stuff that's like big liver treats)...

The sound of my dish touching the floor...

Hmmm...

If you are talking the real call of the wild... :)

The sounds of somebody sneaking around the rec room outside my bedroom when I'm sleeping. It's about the only time my guy barks - and it's like a bloodcurdling sound half bark and half howl. It's like he gets startled and knows I'm not mentally functioning enough to protect him.

I think he views our walks as his chance to cosplay as a wild predator. Today on our walk he was stalking and pointing at everything that moved. Birds, squirrels, bunnies... and he was violently staring down those creepy plastic snowmen that are popping up around the neighborhood. :D

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
I also love that book, and in fact, my golden Buck, was named after the Buck in that book. He was 6 months old when we got him and they wre calling him Bart. But i can tell you, Buck was the name for him.

Honey---well, she just has to SEE us walk into the kitchen and she is on our heels. If she is sleeping and doesn't see us, she certain hears if we open a cabinet or the fridge. We call her Miss Sweetness, but should be calling her Chow Hound.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
The "call of the wild" in our house is anything cheese related. Whether it's a slice of cheese, a bag of shredded cheese or a string cheese the dog's know cheese when they hear it and come running. We gave Samantha her pills in cheese as a puppy and she taught Mulligan the joys of cheese.

We don't see our dogs come running (for food) or beg unless there is cheese involved. It's probably because we usually indulge them with some. :)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Funny story, not about a golden, but our old english ,halley, we had, banana's, you could go into a seperate room, wih her asleep in a different room, quietly,start to peel it, she would always come running.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
The sound of an apple being sliced into--it will bring Toby inside if he's outside!

Cereal being poured into a bowl.

The greek yogurt coming out of the refrigerator....his vet advised us to stop this because it may be affecting him in unique ways ( he is not like normal dogs), so it is hard.

Peanut butter--being made, jar being opened--anything peanut butter related.

The vitamin cabinet doors being opened. He loves his pills all wrapped in Pill Pockets.

The coffee maker brewing (what can I say, he thinks he wants it).

The words "Dinny", "Treat" or "Kong", even if mentioned in normal conversation..:cavalry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts