Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I explained this in another topic for Boogity, but thought it could be it's own topic for any new puppy owners. In my opinion, this is one of the most useful tools in training a puppy to establish order in your home!!!

This is a copy/paste from the other topic.

If anyone has anything to add, I would really love to
hear your ideas on this, too!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "alpha roll". Um.......... I'm not sure there is a wrong or right way to do this. It more or less means you establish an alpha position.

Think of the pups in a litter. When they upset their dog-mom, what does she do? Rolls them on their back (sometimes quite roughly!!!), and looks them IN THE EYE and growls at them. When little pups play (still in the litter), the alpha pup will almost 100% of the time, be the one on top...with the one under him/her on his back looking up at them. Pups understand this dog language to say Oh dear, I'm in TROUBLE!

When the pups are little, I establish this alpha position as soon as possible. With your pups being 14 weeks old, they are young enough to learn this Quickly!!!

This is what I would do: If at all possible, when the pups are wrestling, I would sneak into the fray, and push the alpha pup off balance, rolling him onto his back... when I'm doing this, I'm saying "NO NO" very firmly and just a little louder than their growl, so that makes ME boss. I get over the top of the pup who is on his back, at times holding onto the loose skin around their neck and I growl IN THEIR FACE.

Ok... you can all laugh.........I know it must be something to see! hehehehehehehehe!!! But, it works, and they learn because this is "dog language"!!!

Think like a puppy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was taught to do that many years ago but we didn't call it the "alpha roll". Come to think of it, I don't think we ever called it anything.

Thanks GO.

I had all kinds of visions in my head of the alpha roll. I pictured the trainer down on the floor and rolling over the puppy. I pictured someone rolling the puppy down a hill. And I even pictured the alpha roll with cinnamon and glazed topping. :D :doh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi!!! I have started doing the alpha roll too, but it's to stop our pup from trying to be the alpha dog instead of us. The vet recommended we start immediately:banghead: as she has started humping us.:no: Her behavior is getting worse and worse. We know she's just a pup but I really thought with a golden it wouldn't be like this. Last night I gave her the roll, like, 4 times in 2 hours. What gives?? My hubby is home with her all day so it's not like she should be mad at us. When we do the roll thing she is real good for a little while and then goes right back, sometimes bitting (not just puppy mouthing I don't think) and barking and well the other thing:doh: . Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this. THANKS!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
janb said:
Hi!!! I have started doing the alpha roll too, but it's to stop our pup from trying to be the alpha dog instead of us. The vet recommended we start immediately:banghead: as she has started humping us.:no: Her behavior is getting worse and worse. We know she's just a pup but I really thought with a golden it wouldn't be like this. Last night I gave her the roll, like, 4 times in 2 hours. What gives?? My hubby is home with her all day so it's not like she should be mad at us. When we do the roll thing she is real good for a little while and then goes right back, sometimes bitting (not just puppy mouthing I don't think) and barking and well the other thing:doh: . Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this. THANKS!!
Hey, don't give up! From our litter of puppies, I have noticed that even after a pup receives a correction either from mom or from other litter mates - he goes and tries it again! They don't give up trying so easily, so you shouldn't either :no:. Kia (the mom) tolerates things up to a point and then she just "terrorizes" the pup until it runs away. She does not hurt it, but definitely shows her full set of teeth, growls, and takes whole body parts into her mouth! The one puppy we have left still was the most dominant of the littler, so she just starts back at mom! Needless to say, mom wins, and SO WILL YOU! Show your dominance as many times as you have to - with everything - food, greeting, doors, rewards...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally had to resort to the alpha roll with our first female Golden when she wouldn't stop biting us. At first she would growl when this was doen to her, but she soon got the message: WE ARE IN CHARGE, NOT YOU!

·
DogMom DogDesigns
225 Posts
I do this with my pups when I first bring them home, but please use EXTREME caution if you do this with anything but a small puppy!

You're putting your face right in front of a dog when you're trying to assert dominance. If your dog doesn't see you in an alpha role & submit to you, he/she will try to fight you rolling him/her over & if your face gets close, you could end up with a very serious injury. Dogs bite each other's faces & may not understand, especially in a situation requiring you to do the alpha roll in the first place, that they are not allowed to bite your face.

My trainer says never to do this because of too many people getting bit in the face. You know how sharp those puppy teeth are -- they are like little needles!!! I still do it with my puppies but I keep my face well out of biting range. :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just wanted to let all of you know that after reading this thread, I have been trying the alpha roll when Woody gets an "attitude" and nips at my hands. It really works! It is the only thing I have found to stop him, and by now, we have almost broken the habit. Everything else--scolding, putting a hand in his mouth, walking away--just egged him on. But this puts a stop to it right away.

I am a little worried about what the neighbors think when I do this outside in the yard, but teaching him not to bite is worth them thinking I have lost a few marbles!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alpha roll

Great job Meg. Lot's of good advice. I think one of the most frequent mistakes I see is folks treating their Goldens like children instead of dogs. True, we love them like our kids but training is a different story. No matter how much we try to attach human qualities to our Goldens, truth is, they're dogs and they're doing dog things....whether it's humping your leg,(dominance) licking your chin (submissive) or just following you around (running with their pack). Best to understand their language before one tries to teach them ours. ;) Cliff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.