Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

2961 - 2974 of 2974 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
What a wonderful family you have. What is the transition like going from one dog to multiple? My boy (9 month old)and I are in a rhythm with each other. He sleeps with me every night and we spend as much time together during the day as possible, while I still work a full time job. I have thought about adding another golden into my life but I am unsure how it would effect my close bond with Sunny, and when I should consider doing it as well. I was thinking that I would wait until Sunny was a few years old. As you have 3 beautiful friends I thought you might be able to offer some wisdom to me. Regards.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,965
What a wonderful family you have. What is the transition like going from one dog to multiple? My boy (9 month old)and I are in a rhythm with each other. He sleeps with me every night and we spend as much time together during the day as possible, while I still work a full time job. I have thought about adding another golden into my life but I am unsure how it would effect my close bond with Sunny, and when I should consider doing it as well. I was thinking that I would wait until Sunny was a few years old. As you have 3 beautiful friends I thought you might be able to offer some wisdom to me. Regards.
I had a lot of the same questions before bringing Charlie into the mix. We had Duke since he was a puppy. We had them meet before we brought Charlie home. At first Duke viewed Charlie as a playmate, but it was a little stressful when he figured out Charlie was staying. We took it slow with introductions and didn't leave them alone together for quite awhile (6 months or so). Now they are best buddies and have built up quite a bond. It's wonderful to see. We adopted Rocky (senior) last year. Again, we went very slow with the introductions and not leaving unattended together. We use crates and gates. After about 6 months we now leave them all together unattended. I have cameras and can check on them. Rocky does tend to police the other two when they start wrestling so I work on redirecting him by calling him over. He gets treats and lots of pets. Rocky was an only dog for 10 years and he has come so far by taking it slow and letting him go at his pace. Love all 3!

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,966
Love the photos of them dressed up! Charlie looks to be the only one who is happy about it!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
He's gone from being camera shy to absolutely loving it. He loves the attention (and the treats). The other two were tolerating lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a lot of the same questions before bringing Charlie into the mix. We had Duke since he was a puppy. We had them meet before we brought Charlie home. At first Duke viewed Charlie as a playmate, but it was a little stressful when he figured out Charlie was staying. We took it slow with introductions and didn't leave them alone together for quite awhile (6 months or so). Now they are best buddies and have built up quite a bond. It's wonderful to see. We adopted Rocky (senior) last year. Again, we went very slow with the introductions and not leaving unattended together. We use crates and gates. After about 6 months we now leave them all together unattended. I have cameras and can check on them. Rocky does tend to police the other two when they start wrestling so I work on redirecting him by calling him over. He gets treats and lots of pets. Rocky was an only dog for 10 years and he has come so far by taking it slow and letting him go at his pace. Love all 3!
That is an amzing story. Thanks for the information and tips. I think I am along ways away from adding a another member to my family but your experince will help to shape my plans when I do.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
That's the job I want! Watching beautiful golden retrievers all day!! They look so very happy!

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,974
It’s especially sweet to see Rocky being close to other Goldens. It can take him awhile to warm up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2961 - 2974 of 2974 Posts