Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2980 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
We had our home visit on Saturday and received our approval today from As Good as Gold! We're on the waiting list and can't wait to bring home a new golden to our family.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Congratulations to you. That is very exciting. I know because we went through that a few months ago and brought our Lily home 3 days before Christmas this year. I know you will find an incredible companion.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I'm jumping way ahead of myself here since we don't have a rescue yet, but any words of advice for integrating him with Duke - my 21 month old golden.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You will probably bring Duke to the meeting at the foster family, at least that's how it was for us. A car ride home and before we went into the house we took them on a long walk together.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know I'm jumping way ahead of myself here since we don't have a rescue yet, but any words of advice for integrating him with Duke - my 21 month old golden.
Goldens love other Goldens, they just seem to know that they're the same. You won't need to do any special meeting rituals, they'll do just fine together :)

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Jenn

Jenn

I am so EXCITED for you!! As Good As Gold is a wonderful organization.
They are located in Woodridge, IL, that's where I live, and we have an
As Good As Gold Female Adopted Golden Retriever living kitty corner from us.
Her name is Rosie.

I think that maybe they will bring him over to meet your boy, but if not I would introduce them on neutral territory before coming into the house. Everything will be fine. When we lost our Smooch in Dec. 2010, we were going to adopt from them, and then I remembered Tucker on the forum here needed a home, so we adopted him!!

Can't wait to hear more!!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Congratulations! I'm so glad your home visit went well and I'm very happy for you!

I think introducing the two dogs in a neutral location is an excellent idea. I've done this twice when I introduced my rescue dogs to my current dogs and it worked out very well both times.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The waiting part is rather anti-climatic! I was interested in 2 different boys , but it appears both are in process of getting adopted. What is a reasonable expectation for a wait time?

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Jenn

Jenn

I have no idea what is reasonable for a wait time. I think we had to wait a week or two for the lady to come out and do a home visit and then we went to her house to meet her fosters, but this was YEARS AGO, and it wasn't As Good As Gold. We met Smooch the day we went to her house and she was the only female that Golden Opportunities had, and we adopted her. At the time I was going to Florida with my sister, so Beth wanted to wait until I returned and then Ken and I picked her up.

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
Congratulations, and a million thank yous for rescuing a golden in need when the time comes!

1 - 20 of 2980 Posts