Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how to do turkey day this year. In fact I'm sort of figuring on not doing it at all. The base of the decision/problem is that I'm doing swell on my diet, blood sugars are great, insulin use is way down. I REALLY do not want to mess that up. It takes me a long time to get everything balanced and one meal will throw it completely off balance. When I overeat blood sugars go up, requires more insulin which is the hunger hormone which makes me want to eat which makes blood sugar go up...etc., etc., etc., Also, insulin takes the excess sugar out of the blood and stores it as fat...the more sugar in the blood, the more insulin, the more fat. It's a vicious cycle and can take DAYS/WEEKS to get balanced again. Plus, I feel like crap, emotionally unbalanced, crabby, b*tchy, weepy and depressed.

Any ideas on how to make turkey day festive with no foods made with flour and/or sugar? Seems like all that leaves is the bird and veggies...

I thought about going out but restaurants will be offering all the same things I would cook at home, if I was going all out.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate holidays...they just wreck everything when they revolve around food :(

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You could do a turkey breast instead of the entire turkey. Plus smashed potatoes, lots of veggies. Everything in moderation! No need to over eat on Thanksgiving. Instead, do a nice walk (or in your case, ride) if the weather allows. I've used thanksgiving and the long weekend as an excuse many times to just get out of town (not visiting either) and see different sites. Just eat what you normally do! It is actually easier if you just have you and your husband and not have to worry about relatives!

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
Maybe be very specific about servings and stick with it?

My dad has diabetes and I know he refuses to test his insulin on holidays. But even there he just is very careful about not overfilling his plate and "saving room" for his one slice of apple pie.

We also eat earlier in the day (before 4PM) because that gives him time to go hit the gym before and after.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon on them are really good and smell totally "Thanksgiving-y" :) You could also dry out your own bread (maybe Ezekiel sprouted grain?) and make stuffing out of that?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Acorn squash cut in half and baked in the oven with butter and cinnamon make a delicious dessert. In fact, that is what I had for dessert last night!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to do a whole turkey...I love the turkey soup from the bones.

Also, hubby is completely on board with this...he doesn't like it when I get crabby, b*thcy, weepy, depressed either. :no:;);)

I'll have to scour my Southern Living magazines for some new veggie recipes. I can do salt and fat, just not flour and sugar.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's where the going gets tough. No squash of any kind except spagetti = extremely high in carbs. No bread of any kind = blood sugar goes up like it was pure sugar. For instance, I opened a can of soup today and saw that it was in a gravy-type broth. No gravy anything. Had to pass it to DH and get out another one. (wish he's stick to the brands I tell him too)

I've had diabetes for so long, there's a long list of foods that I am hyper-sensitive too. Even a plain apple is a rare treat, usually after I've riden or ground driven a horse. I don't dare not test. One glass of milk will put me well over 300. It isn't unusual for me to go as high as 600 WITH injections every 90 minutes. It really isn't negotiable for me. My days of "a little bit won't hurt me" ended about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I don't know if this is something you would want to do, but I do it a lot now--steam veggies and season them with herbs like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, or if you want something more savory cumin or garlic salt and pepper. It's not really "festive" but it's definitely heart healthy and if you pick the right veggies that don't raise blood sugars too high it might work. Instead of potatoes (since we have diabetes in the family), we steam the cauliflower then blend it to smooth consistency, adding in a dab of cream cheese (that's festive!) and salt/pepper. It's the faux mashed potato recipe that was popular a few years ago. Can you safely eat salad? A big green salad with lots of veggies is festive, especially if you get colors in it. I don't know if red/yellow or orange peppers are too high in sugar, but I get the mini ones and chop them into rings, add red cabbage chunks, cauliflower buds, purple onion rings and green peppers and put chopped tomatoes on the side, along with parmesan cheese and oil, spices and vinegar for the dressing. For dessert, my sister makes a wicked diabetic friendly cheesecake for herself and my Dad to enjoy. She uses splenda for it. Funny, Splenda causes me all sorts of problems! It will raise my Dad's sugars but he takes a pill to be able to enjoy it. We also use nuts as a topping for some of the veggies, like chopped pecans or chopped walnuts. Oh and for appetizers I always take a few of the mini-peppers, clean and gut the inside seeds and stuff with hummus. Easy, festive and delicious.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Also, any big salad is best topped off with some avocado slices liberally peppered and some garlic salt sprinkled on to bring out the flavors. Yum... cumin on avocado slices is good as well.

One other suggestion--if you can safely use plain unsweetened almond milk without a rise in sugars, it's a good cooking substitute for milk or cream.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I did, and most still do, practice South Beach diet. The doctor recommended it to my dad when he was diagnosed diabetic. Here is a link for a forum South Beach Recipes - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community that has a TON of recipes. You can also do a forum search for holidays and you'll find a bunch more recipes. I have a holiday specific cookbook at home, of course I'm at work right now, but I can get it tonight and get you some more recipes. These should all be good to keep your blood sugar in check ;)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a look at the 3 fat chicks recipes and it looks very promising! I think it would make for a fun day to make new recipes. DH loves to cook, I help out with organizing, which utensil/pot/bowl to use. I can see us sitting down to our turkey and sampling our new dishes. Thanks! Something to look forward to. :)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am making smashed sweet potatoes with chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and a bit of lime juice...a favorite in our house w/o added fats/sugars.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds yummy. I usually put in just garlic and simmer in a bit of chicken boullion which becomes part of the mash. We love spicy, I could do a cajun theme turkey day.

I love you guys...so many good ideas coming!

I am making smashed sweet potatoes with chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and a bit of lime juice...a favorite in our house w/o added fats/sugars.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I took a look at the 3 fat chicks recipes and it looks very promising! I think it would make for a fun day to make new recipes. DH loves to cook, I help out with organizing, which utensil/pot/bowl to use. I can see us sitting down to our turkey and sampling our new dishes. Thanks! Something to look forward to. :)
Are you a member of ADA? If so, you get their magazine, Diabetes Forecast. They have some of the BEST recipes I've ever had. Worth the membership just for that. Of course they give all the nutritional details with each one.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DH is at his end of the table reading so I'm running these ideas by him as they come. He's practically drooling...such a foody he is...he votes for 'all of the above"! :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not. I'll take a look at their website, I used to be on their message boards. I think they have a recipe section there.

Are you a member of ADA? If so, you get their magazine, Diabetes Forecast. They have some of the BEST recipes I've ever had. Worth the membership just for that. Of course they give all the nutritional details with each one.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
oooh, please share the recipe if you don't mind. I am not a sweet sweet potato person--want to gag at the thought of eating them with marshmallows or brown sugar on them. I usually cook mine in the slow cooker (Plain, wrapped in foil and poked with a fork) for 4 hours, then mash them with hummus, pesto or salsa and add spices if needed.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
So all you would have to eliminate is the flour and sugar? That's not too bad, just skip the dressing (it makes me gag anyway), the gravy (it masks the true flavor of everything), and the pumpkin pie (a highly over rated dessert in my opinion). Turkey is the most important part of the meal because it fills the house with such great smells. Then you can have all the great vegetables like green beans, broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes or asparagas. Are potatoes allowed? if you cook your cubed potatoes with several garlic cloves, they will have so much flavor you won't miss the gravy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts